[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where did the US get it's idea of the electoral college?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: electoral college.png (40KB, 900x580px) Image search: [Google]
electoral college.png
40KB, 900x580px
Where did the US get it's idea of the electoral college? Was it the HRE?
>>
The desire to put as many checks & balances on potential abuses of power even by the people themselves. The founding fathers took the responsibility of self government more seriously than modern American who take universal suffrage for granted
>>
>>2279804
I understand why, but where did they derive it from? What was their model?
>>
>>2279814
I think it was an invention of their own to ensure equality between the states, but don't quote me on that. What I can tell you for sure is that they looked to the HRE as a model of what the US shouldn't be, and argued that America would become as useless as it was if they didn't have a strong executive branch.
>>
>>2279788
Britain
>>
>>2279814
because it was the United States and not a democracy. The electoral college was a fair way of allowing the states to choose a president while still weighting it via population. Basically, the state legislators would vote on who they wanted their state to elect. It was just a method created to keep all the states happy and balanced.
>>
>>2279788
no it wasn't the HRE, Madison considered the empire as a frankenstein monster unable to change with the times due to hundreds of years of laws, rules, and precedents. England was the US's primary model for governance, mostly because all the founding fathers were anglos and were educated in the english tradition. The Congress was supposed to represent Parliament while the President was supposed to represent the Monarchy.
>>
>>2279788
>>2279804
>>2279814
It was a compromise to convince the smaller states to ratify the Constitution. That is all that it was. Just like the Senate. What incentive rid RI, Vermont, NH have to ratify a document that gave all the power to Penn/NY/VA? None. So the politicians from those states, like Hamilton/Madison, had to sweeten the deal.

People like to pretend that it was some grand design to forge a nation, but it was really just the product of negotiations between different states. The "United States" was not a foregone conclusion.
>>
>>2280713
*what incentive did
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.