[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why there aren't more politicians going full Erdogan on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 6598551_orig.jpg (52KB, 576x417px) Image search: [Google]
6598551_orig.jpg
52KB, 576x417px
Why there aren't more politicians going full Erdogan on their countries (basically taking over as dictator)?

It is clear that a large percentage of leading politicians are sociopaths or narcissists who would love to have absolute power. I also think that even in many democratic countries you could go from head of govt to dictator. Maybe not in the USA due to muh right to bare arms, but I doubt the people in many European countries or somewhere like Mexico would be able to rise up and overthrow you, with all the weapons and surveilance technology states have nowdays.

Don't get me wrong I know taking over as dictator would have a lot of negative consequences for the country (mainly economic). But we all know most leaders care much more about their own power and wealth.

So in short, I find it really bizarre that almost all elected leaders just accept their defeat or term limit and give away their power peacefully, and we see practically no one just say "lol fuck the elections I have an army", or, like Erdogan do a bunch of shady shit to give himself total power.
>>
Because eventually the people will resist. A dictatorship is used prompted by war, class conflict, economic breakdown etc. It's incredibly draining in all areas from economics to mentality, and is much harder to maintain than most people realise.
>>
>>2278586
Erdogan has been enjoying a continuously high level of popular support that is exceptional. Only Putin and Merkel seem to have enjoyed the same degree of popular support and Putin behaves pretty much the same way as Erdogan. As for Merkel she has a strong personal taste for collegial rule.
>>
>>2278586
It is extremely difficult to overcome systems that are set in place and have long history. It is exceedingly difficult for any politician to take over because simply the people around with a desire for power won't let him. If democracy becomes a dictatorship most of the influentials in the government lose their position of power. Not to mention unless your military is ready to unleash its might on a civilian populace you don't need to start shooting to take down a government. Now I do believe alot militaries are willing to shoot civilians but many of the ones that haven't been expected to for a long time will have trouble. Also when you have democracy for a long enough period of time you have idealists at every level of the government and their is nothing to do with these people except elimination which can be exceedingly difficult.
>>
They don't go full dictator because they know the people won't be okie dokie with a dictator. All dictators have some intent to do good for their country. But nobody will do it without getting satisfied with power. Even democratically elected leaders enjoy power.
>>
>>2278586
>we see practically no one just say "lol fuck the elections I have an army",
This happens all the time in Africa especially. I think it just happened last week in Gambia. It's been happening in Zimbabwe for almost 40 years
>>
>>2278586
Look across Eastern Europe, authoritarian populist figures, wannabe dictators are on the rise.
>>
>>2278784
Oy vey.
>>
>>2278586
most developed governments have checks and balances to prevent single figures from accumulating too much power, mostly in the form of term limits that are enforced by a judicial branch.

Trying to seize power for an indefinite period of time just won't work in your favor if 2 out of 3 branches of your government are resisting a leader's continued claim after some event like an election defeat or running for a 3rd/4th term.

The reason why documents like constitutions and charters are written is to prevent such outcomes from taking place because a peaceful transition of power and a reshuffling of government positions every X amount of years has proven to be more beneficial for any state rather than people holding onto power for life.

tl;dr: Most leaders know that they're not gonna get their way by overstaying their welcome in power, so they don't risk it, unless there are some loopholes that allow prolonged stays such as Weimar Germany's emergency powers clause of Putin's total control of the Russian Duma.
>>
>>2278829
No, i'm serious, i'm right wing, but the legitimate rise of a horrid populist amalgamation of qusi right wingers using selective leftist rhetoric is spreading.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.