[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Its safe to say that roman empire set back the abolition of slavery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 111111111111.1447832920.jpg (83KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
111111111111.1447832920.jpg
83KB, 480x480px
Its safe to say that roman empire set back the abolition of slavery by at least a 1000 years.
Before the Romans defeated every other power in the mediterranean, slavery was in significant decline.
Carthage was almost transitioning to mercantile capitalism, and slavery was losing its importance there. There was never such massive chattel slavery there compared to Rome, and it was much easier to buy yourself out of servitude.
Since Alexander's conquest, persian values including the lack of slavery were rapidly being absorbed by hellenic society, and the largest diadoch kingdom, the Seleucids, was almost devoid of slaves. IDK about the other hellenic kingdoms though. And of course the Parthians almost completely lacked slaves. So did the Thracians and Dacians which also had sizeable population.

So we can see that slavery was diminishing in around half of the major powers on the Mediterranean had less slavery than the Romans. If the Romans didn't have a monopoly of power as IRL there would've been far more economic competition which would evolve faster into capitalism, which in turn would diminish the need for chattel slaves, and without the conservative and honestly more brutal Roman society setting the example of an ideal society for powers to come slavery would be viewed as completely ammoral much earlier compared to the late 19th century in our timeline. All of that means no gladiators, no transatlantic slave trade, and also no feudalism.

Finally,without the Roman empire, the only people who primarily drived their economy through slave trade were african KANGS, arabs, celts, and germanics, which were viewed as inferior and barbaric by Hellenes and Carthaginians, and with them slavery would also be viewed as a mark of an inferior civilisation, thus furthering it's demise.
>>
>>2275444
I didn't read but I respect your opinion
>>
>>2275444
The Arabs were, are, and always will be the main slavers.
>>
>>2275455
I expect other things to change with it?
>>
File: 50132644_p0.jpg (30KB, 316x410px) Image search: [Google]
50132644_p0.jpg
30KB, 316x410px
>>2275444
>Its safe to say that roman empire set back the abolition of slavery by at least a 1000 years.
le alt history face

Do you really it's at all reasonable to reconsider historical processes and "what ifs" like this, especially for the most influential state to exist in Europe for hundreds of years?
You may as well say scientific racism would have never developed if Darwinist natural selection theory developed a century earlier or had more favorable reception. Is it possible? Maybe. Does it add anything of relevance or importance to the literature? Not remotely. You're masturbating.
>>
File: apes.jpg (50KB, 711x411px) Image search: [Google]
apes.jpg
50KB, 711x411px
>>2275444

Before the Normans conquered England, the Anglo-Saxons kept about 15-20% of the population as slaves.

The Normans got rid of slavery, being devout Catholics.

The Protestants brought back a sense of Anglo-Saxon nationalism which didn't exist under the Normans, Plantagenets, Tudors, or Stuarts.

Under the Protestants hatred of non-Protestants was encouraged, so when the opportunity of the slave trade was foisted upon them, they had no qualms about enslaving inferiors.
>>
>>2275474
Why shouldn't we speculate about the Roman Empire?
Of course nothing is certain, but certain trends towards the decline of a slave based economy did happen before the Romans took over. Why shouldn't we theorize about what would've happened if those trends continued?
>>
>>2275474
Jeez, if all you're gonna say is why you hate alternate history speculation, don't post it on such a thread.
>>
>>2275534
Because you have no way to know and certainly much less solid data to base your decisions upon.
>>
>>2275484
>the Anglo-Saxons kept about 15-20% of the population as slaves.

This is actually wrong. Slavery had virtually withered away completely over the previous few centuries. Serfdom is a lot easier since it doesn't require you to maintain your workers.
>>
>>2275542
Then enlighten me your solid data.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.