[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

[record scratch] *freeze frame* Yep, that sad lookn'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: The-Passion-Mel-Gibson.png (1003KB, 1280x528px) Image search: [Google]
The-Passion-Mel-Gibson.png
1003KB, 1280x528px
[record scratch]

*freeze frame*

Yep, that sad lookn' schmuck is me

You're probably wondering how I got into this one

Well, let's start from the beginning...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_jWHffIx5E
>>
File: dancing-with-jesus.jpg (17KB, 289x300px) Image search: [Google]
dancing-with-jesus.jpg
17KB, 289x300px
>>2273118
>quotes Psalm 22
>>
>>2273118

Rome should have rebuilt Jerusalem just to destroy it again.
>>
>>2273150
This.

The bantz would echo through the histories.
>>
>>2273122
>Lions, oxens, bulls
Literally talking about a man killed by lion in an arena.
>>
>>2273173

I am actually fucking stupefied by how Judaism was able to hold on after Rome got done with them after the revolt of AD 70. They literally did not hold back and butchered everyone they could get their hands on. When you think about the number of other cults Rome had wiped out at that point, yet these asses somehow kept their religion going...
>>
>>2273122
Psalm 22:21
Rescue me from the mouth of the lions; save me from the horns of the wild oxen.

Did lions eat Jesus after crucifixion?
>>
>>2273213
Christian prophecy mistakes get way worse than this one. Judas's death is "fulfilled" prophecy of lines in Jeremiah and Zechariah spliced together
>>
>>2273207

It was really the Bar Kokhba revolt that led to widespread destruction, not the 66-70 one, which was pretty centered around Jerusalem itself.
>>
>>2273229

The AD 70 one led to the end of the Temple Cult. Coincidentally this is one of the biggest indicators that Mark (and by extension Matthew) is completely allegorical and has no grounding in an actual time period.
>>
>>2273256
explain please. I'm vaguely familiar with Richard Carrier taking this view, but I haven't heard about this being evidence for it
>>
>>2273256
>The AD 70 one led to the end of the Temple Cult.

So? The Temple Cult was already probably a minority. It certainly was such in the communities outside Judea itself, and the conflicts with the Sanhedrin, the gradual weakening of power of the Priests vis a vis scholars, seems to indicate it was already in a decline before they got their head proverbially cut off.

If anything, the bifurcation and conflict between the two groups is probably what led to the religion surviving; and ultimately, the temple rituals were less necessary than the human capital and cultural repository that was much more diffuse and much less location dependent.
>>
>>2273261

Carrier actually only espouses this view because Robert Hamerton-Kelly did a deep dive on the theory and wrote a very convincing argument as to why Mark is purely allegorical.

In any case, the example that Carrier likes to bring up is tied directly to the events of 70 AD via the Cursing of the Fig Tree. Jesus curses the fig tree, foreshadowing the destruction of the Temple Cult. Coincidentally, Mark is surmised to have been written sometime after this, and so the story is an allegory about the imminent destruction of the Temple as it was foreseen by Jesus.
>>
>>2273287
>Robert Gerald Hamerton-Kelly (December 26, 1938 – July 7, 2013) was a Christian theologian, ordained United Methodist pastor, ethics scholar, and author and editor of several books on religion and violence.
wtf? that seems to be a pretty radical thing for a believing christian to say
>>
>>2273207
Scriptural religions with ultra-nationalistic and ethnic pride tend to be like that

But even though children like Rodney Stark may be tempted to proclaim Judaism's survival as more proof of the superiority Abrahamic religions, the Jews were licking their wounds for a long time afterwards; and it can't be overemphasized just how devastating it was to lose the Temple.

Modern Judaism is essentially a reaction to Titus' sacking of the holy city.
>>
>>2273305

It's not the most absurd thing I've ever read a believer say. One of the most vetted Mormons of all time said that Joseph was completely capable of making the whole thing up, tricking people, and that polygamy being ordained by an angel was probably bullshit.
>>
>>2273229
It was the Kitos War that led to widespread destruction across the Mediterranean.

Bar Kohkba was just the last gasp of a desperate people.

>due to the sheer scale of destruction Cyprus banned all Jews from setting foot on the island, even by shipwreck, under penalty of execution for at least the next century afterward
>>
>>2273330

I really meant in the sense of destruction to the Jewish people/cultural identity, not overall devastation.

That being said, the Bar Kokhba revolt was pretty widespread, you had fighting as far north as what's now southern Turkey, IIRC.

>Bar Kohkba was just the last gasp of a desperate people.

It was a pretty nasty gasp; the Romans committed elements of 12 legions, at a time when they only had 23 legions total. They were impressing sailors into the legions to make up manpower, a desperation tactic that they hadn't resorted to in centuries.

>You will never be a Roman Senator and be shocked out of your doze when your Imperator doesn't say the ritual 'I and the Legions are well', but rather 'I and the Legions are not well'.
>>
>>2273190
>>2273213
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QdbLUKhVcE
>>
File: image.png (11KB, 400x400px)
image.png
11KB, 400x400px
>>2273562
Appreciate the video, but it says NOTHING about >>2273213. Also see this anon >>2273248.

Thanks for the link btw.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.