[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /his/, fitizen crossposter here. I really don't know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: Louis_Cyr_vers_les_années_1890.jpg (30KB, 288x367px) Image search: [Google]
Louis_Cyr_vers_les_années_1890.jpg
30KB, 288x367px
Hi /his/, fitizen crossposter here. I really don't know where to post this, but anyways here goes; can you tell me what happened to people like this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Cyr

Currently the strongest living man is considered to be Zydrunas Zavickas from Lithuania, but still his records are nowhere near the level of Cyr, or even Milo of Croton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_of_Croton

Are these numbers a lie, or did something happen to society as a whole because we don't see these kinds of individuals anymore?
>>
>>2266448
The numbers were a little overblown, but people were far more active back in the day.

If you were a soldier/sailor/slave you were basically lifting and running all day, everyday from the age of 12 or younger. A well nourished athlete might have been Zyzz-tier.

We know that Greek rowers able to traverse the Aegean at speeds that the fittest rowers today cannot match.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/02/070208100643.htm
>>
>>2266507
tl;dr:

Athenian Trireme crews were able to row at performances equal to or greater than modern elite rowers.

Ancient Athens had up to 200 triremes at any one time, and with 170 rowers in each ship. That's about 27,000 men out of a total male population of about 150,000, so the rowers were clearly not a small elite.

Fir comparison, the UK today would struggle to man a trireme fleet of this size, so the Athenians likely were far more shredded than puny moderns.
>>
>>2266507
>>2266550
How do we know their records are accurate?
>>
>>2266555
Thucydides might have been full of shit, but his account of this event mentions the journey time in passing, and he does not seem to be boasting. It is also in line with other records, such as people running marathon distances in full battle kit. The Athenians also placed physical fitness in tremendously high regard, so it is not too outlandish to posit that they were generally fitter than people today.
>>
>>2266550
>Louis Cyr:His recorded feats, including lifting 500 pounds (227 kg) with one finger and backlifting 4,337 pounds (1,967 kg), show Cyr to be, according to former International Federation of BodyBuilding & Fitness chairman Ben Weider, the strongest man ever to have lived.

Milo of Crotos:Anecdotes about Milo's almost superhuman strength and lifestyle abound. His daily diet allegedly consisted of 9 kg (20 lbs) of meat, 9 kg (20 lbs) of bread, and 10 litres (18 pt) of wine.[3] Pliny the Elder (XXXVII, 54 = 144) and Solinus (De mirabilibus mundi, 77) both attribute Milo's invincibility in competition to the wrestler's consumption of alectoriae, the gizzard stones of roosters.[2][12] Legends say he carried his own bronze statue to its place at Olympia, and once carried a four-year-old bull on his shoulders before slaughtering, roasting, and devouring it in one day.[2][3] He was said to have achieved the feat of lifting the bull by starting in childhood, lifting and carrying a newborn calf and repeating the feat daily as it grew to maturity.[13][14]
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.