[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did you know that the Moorish invasion of Spain was made possible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: BasileusPepeilon.jpg (136KB, 800x770px) Image search: [Google]
BasileusPepeilon.jpg
136KB, 800x770px
Did you know that the Moorish invasion of Spain was made possible in thanks to the efforts of the last Byzantine governor (exarch) of Africa?

The records reference him as 'Count Julian', who ruled over the last remnants of the Byzantine possessions in North Africa (centered on Ceuta), and who allowed the Moors passage across his domain (which they had been unable to cross, due to its mountainous terrain) and into Visigothic Spain. He also provided them with intelligence/supplies, and furthermore, purposefully neglected to inform his neighbors to the north that an invasion force was coming.

God-damn, it's stuff like this that makes me love the Byzantines. They lost all their possessions in Spain to the Visigoths, so in revenge, one of them allies himself with the Moors to make THEM lose Spain.
>>
>>2265796

He was cucked in the process too, so from a hystorical pov you could say he was one of the first persons to die of severe butthurt.

Nevertheless, 1204 remains the best day of my life, followed by 378, the 1305-1307 catalan holidays in Grease, 1071 and 1453.
>>
File: smug_basileus.png (214KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
smug_basileus.png
214KB, 499x499px
>>2265964
>He was cucked in the process too, so from a hystorical pov
>He

Count Julian actually did fairly well: he was granted land by the Moors in exchange for his service, and the territory under his control was not subject to raids or attacks. There's a legend that he apparently lived with guilt for the rest of his life, but it just reeks of later invention.

Now the Byzantines weren't particularly "cucked" either: Spain had already been lost to the Visigoths in the previous century, and so had Africa to the Fatimids. Ceuta was literally a fringe outpost of little relevance that remained Byzantine less because of the Imperial government's willingness to retain it within the Byzantine sphere, but because it was so remote and its terrain hard to overcome.
>>
>>2266015

Ceuta was already Visigoth clay since the late VII. Whether this count was of Byzantine or Visigoth origin isn't really known.

What is known is that he was a cuck of the visigoth king before 711 and a cuck of the moors after 711.
>>
>>2266196
>"cuck"

A high-level of discourse is expected on this board. At the least, don't sound like a memeing idiot.
>>
>>2266700
Fuck off cuck
>>
>>2267213
People like you make me want to go pull a Charleston
>>
The Visigothic Kingdom was absolutely shit-tier anyway though. They couldn't stop slaughtering each other and fucking up their own state in endless civil wars so it was bound to come crashing down eventually. The Moors likely would have found a way to cross and done the same thing eventually with or without Count Julian.
>>
So the byzantines doomed us...

Well well...
>>
>>2267253
Cuck
>>
>>2267271
We doomed them
So its fair
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.