[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This copper statue was made in Nigeria 800 years ago. How come

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 201
Thread images: 31

File: NML038.jpg (946KB, 851x1000px) Image search: [Google]
NML038.jpg
946KB, 851x1000px
This copper statue was made in Nigeria 800 years ago.

How come West Africans were amazing at sculpture but bad at most other stuff?
>>
Sheiit that's good t b h
>>
>>2259335
Because they had no proper walls to paint on
>>
I think superstition and a lack of a writing system was detrimental to their development. Superstition imbued potent herbs with the notion that they functioned due to spirits, and not independent of. One could see how that hampers intellectual curiosity. Written word is clearly excellent for the passing on of information, word of mouth can only do so much. For example, it wasn't until the 70s that the Sobo developed a writing system for their language. And when in doubt, one could argue that they're just fucking stupid.
>>
>>2259392
>no walls to paint on
Nah, check minute 3:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKAejLkJgxY
>>
>>2259335
Because it was a white traveller visiting Nigeria.
>>
>>2259393
True. Many cultures in Africa to these days lack proper number systems and accurate sense of time.
>>
>>2259458
Such as?
>>
>>2259458
Accurate sense of time gave us stress, though.
>>
>>2259458
Fuck off retard
>>
I dont know... What color do you thing Egyptians were?
>>
File: ife_head_grey_304x400.jpg (26KB, 304x400px) Image search: [Google]
ife_head_grey_304x400.jpg
26KB, 304x400px
>>2259379
Yeah, West African bronzes are fucking great but nobody knows about them

It's crazy that people with such rudimentary tools and surroundings could make sculpture as good or better as what existed in contemporaneous Europe, India, or China
>>
>>2259402
wtf is this lmao
>>
>>2259335
Because those things are emergent phenomenon that occur on the basis of demand and environmental possibility.
Seems to me that they were good at being west Africans and bad at being something else.
>>2259393
Blatantly ethnocentric, it's a big world and there are a lot of ways to look at it dude.
I think you have an inability to veiw other cultures from outside the lens of your own, but when in doubt one could argue that you're just fucking stupid.
>>
>>2260676
>he doesn't practice fertility rites and phallic veneration
>>
>>2260695
Best post itt
>>
>these were made by the Yoruba people, who had a complex culture of city states, all of which had Kangz
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Americans#Genetics
>Correspondingly, Montinaro et al. (2014) observed that around 50% of the overall ancestry of African Americans traces back to the Niger-Congo-speaking Yoruba of southwestern Nigeria and southern Benin, reflecting the centrality of this West Africa region in the Atlantic Slave Trade.
Guys.

They really wuz kangz n shiet.

Memes aside, the Yoruba and Edo between the 13th and 17th centuries were pretty cool.
>>
File: Njoya_of_Bamun.jpg (238KB, 530x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Njoya_of_Bamun.jpg
238KB, 530x1000px
If only this guy has been around 2 thousand years earlier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibrahim_Njoya

>Ibrahim Njoya is credited with developing the Bamum script, a syllabic system for writing in the Bamum language. Before his reign, the long history of the Bamum people was preserved primarily through oral transmission from one generation to the next in the manner of the African Griot tradition. (This was largely true of many other African civilizations of the time.

>Recognizing the inherent danger of important historical facts being omitted or corrupted, he set out to establish a means of written recording of Bamum history. When his work was completed, his alphabet, called, A-ka-u-ku, contained 73 signs.

>His grandson, Ibrahim Mbombo Njoya, a present-day Sultan in Cameroon and the latest ruler in the Bamoun Dynasty, has established a school in the palace built by his grandfather, in which schoolchildren are learning the Bamum script developed by Ibrahim Njoya

>Col. Gorges noted in 1914 that he held court or durbar daily outside the gatehouse for the dispensing of justice and receipt of tribute, and that all his people had access to him. There was a very well-defined code of court etiquette observed.

>"Any courtier wishing to speak to him assumes a cringing attitude, removes his skull-cap, clasps his hands and, taking a chukker round behind the presence, finally arrives at the royal elbow. Here he averts his head and makes his request in a hoarse whisper. When the king coughs or clears his throat everyone present softly claps his hands."
>>
>>2260794
Of course they were kangz, but not Egyptian kangz. I'll never understand why do they have to fetch their kangz so far away from their homeland, when they had ones just right here where they lived.
>>
>>2259335
That one looks like it was made by lifecasting (or with a dead body - which I suppose isn't 'life'casting), particularly the very death maskish face.
>>
>>2260951
American education teaches really nothing about non-Western history besides Egypt
>>
>>2261043
Meanwhile here in the UK Muslim or African history is a mandatory part of the curriculum (but World War I isn't).
>>
File: Obalara head 2.jpg (205KB, 630x700px) Image search: [Google]
Obalara head 2.jpg
205KB, 630x700px
>>2261012
They were made with lost-wax casting. It's too small be have been life-cast.
>>
>>2260695
you can still compare the culture with your own.
>>
>>2260875
>mongoloids are intelligent but lack creativity
So asians are not creative? They have the most complex religions and grammar systems.
>>
>>2261077
Why even respond?
>>
>>2261052
No it's not, cunt. WW1 is taught for an entire year and we never touch any history outside of GB or Europe.
>>
>>2261083
I see you've missed the redraft of the history curriculum of the past few years...
>>
Bad at what exactly? Because that's a pretty broad question. I'll give you the sciences, but they did manage metallurgy, agriculture, and medicine as best as needed for their societies to function. I'm personally butthurt when it comes to writing, I think so much potential for growth was missed due to later access.
>>
>>2261114
I finished sixth form last year, did GCSE and a level history, so no.
>>
>>2261083
Actually literally the only mandatory part of the national history curriculum for the 1901 - present day period is the Holocaust. Everything else is now non-statutory and up to the school/teacher.

See:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/381754/SECONDARY_national_curriculum.pdf
>>
>>2261143
No mentions of non-western history. IE African or Islamic, save the British Empire within them and the independence of India.
>>
>>2260695
>Seems to me that they were good at being west Africans and bad at being something else.
This. There's a difference between too much cultural relativism and common sense cultural relativism. Expecting the whole world to be one way or follow a linear path is ridiculous.
>>
>>2261176
>No mentions of non-western history. IE African or Islamic, save the British Empire within them and the independence of India.

They are in the curriculum which actually covers the relevant time periods, i.e. the primary curriculum.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/425601/PRIMARY_national_curriculum.pdf

While your lack of the ability to check this on your own is already a testament to the quality our educational system, you still have it better than the kids who started schooling recently and will actually be using these new standards.
>>
>>2260875
This is the most autistic shit I've seen in my life
>>
>>2261302
You can tell by the excessive use of old fashioned language
>>
>>2261302
s a l t y
a
l
t
y
>>
>>2261012
Maybe, but the stomach and face seem slightly off anatomically
>>
>>2259335
Because it was the work of a Portugese artist
>>
>>2261330
>there were Portuguese in Nigeria in the 13th-14th centuries
>>
>>2260695
You can look at it from outside sans HVAC and plumbing, faggot.
>>
>>2261012
Maybe, but the stomach and face seem slightly off anatomically
>>
>>2261330
That's from 1250

But hey, I'll humor you. Show me any medieval Portuguese sculpture that looks like that.
>>
>>2260695
>Blatantly ethnocentric, it's a big world and there are a lot of ways to look at it dude.
yes, and some ways of looking at things produce civilisations with people who are well fed, largely free of disease, and not at risk of violence (either from the government or other sources). And other ways of looking at things produce Africa.

If the value of a particular culture, and way of life (which naturally follows on from culture), really were relative then you wouldn't have Africans flooding into Europe. All those immigrates have looked at both cultures, decided which they believe is superior, and voted with their feet.

Take your smug, superficial ideas back to the undergraduate discussion group you obviously got them from.

>>2260732
and you can go with him (assuming you're not just shamelessly samefagging)
>>
File: image.jpg (15KB, 214x236px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 214x236px
>>2261060
Yeah, but the problem is comparing the two from the perspective and standards of your own culture. It throws objectivity out the window and the bias leads to a misinterpreted understanding.
>>2261351
Yeah, the point veiw from the devolped world is disturbing, especially coming from there myself. What we are destoryed what made us what we are. We aren't human beings anymore we are human things, by the Aristotelian distinction.
>>2261439
>mad
>why isnt African culture successful when our rules are arbitrarily forced upon it? It must suck
>Africans flooding into Europe?
Do you mean the Syrians that are fleeing from a European proxy war, the North Africans dealing with the lasting effects of European proxy wars/ and colonialism, or the poor folks up in the horn that are dealing with the same, and civil war that has been instigated by European colonialism and divide and conquere tactics applied to traditional disputes to make their explotation easier?
That isn't African culture failing, that's your culture failing Africa.
You say the first world is well feed, not for long. Hardly any fish left in the ocean, arable land is rapidly losing soil carbon and undergoing desertification, and their are few traditional socio-ecological systems left to exploit resources from.
All because of the consumer culture of the devolped world. Traditional cultures have problems but they aren't driving us straight towards extinction.
>undergrad discussion group
Lmao, i went to college for 1 semester, and only took courses in the life sciences, I do almost all of my discussion on this website.
Take your disinformed opinion back to the echochamber that does your thinking for you.
>pic related, mfw
>>
>>2261330
NOSOTROS
>>
>>2261773
>Syrians that are fleeing from a European proxy war
the syrian civil war started because the Syrian population has double every thirty years for the last four generations, and then a once-in-a-millennia drought hit in the mid 2000s. Blaming it on the foreign powers that got dragged in later is like saying America started WW1

>North Africans dealing with the lasting effects of European proxy wars/ and colonialism
because god forbid that brown people actually bear some responsibility for their actions. They're really just children, after all, incapable of agency, and white people basically run their societies.

I always find it weird the oblique form of white supremacy a lot of supposedly left-wing people seem to believe in.

>That isn't African culture failing, that's your culture failing Africa.
even with its current problems Africa's living standards are far, far better today than they were before European contact.
>>
>>2261944
You aren't denying agency to Arabs to recognize that establishing nation states out of the blue, and shaping their governments and economies exclusively for the benefit of the West, can have dangerous ramifications.

Radical Islam would not be anywhere as powerful as it is today if Western governments did not support radical Muslims every step of the way from 1914 to 2001.
>>
>>2262027
>You aren't denying agency to Arabs to recognize that establishing nation states out of the blue, and shaping their governments and economies exclusively for the benefit of the West,
actually, pretending that the west created the arab countries and controlled their governments and economies pretty much is the exact definition of denying them agency. The West may have interacted with those countries but the influence they had on the arabs was nowhere near as extensive as you suggest. The only reason you think that the west is responsible for basically everything that happened in the middle east in the last century is because as you're a westerner - and a westerner who clearly has a fairly limited perspective dominated by the simplistic narrative of the basic-bitch liberal - you only know about the events that involved the west in a significant way.

It's also worth noting that interaction is a two way thing. Western countries would have plenty of justification in blaming their problems on the Arab oil embargo in the 70s, or the economic damage caused by the closure of the Suez canal, or the time Iran violated an embassy in a gross violation of international law and changed the course of a US election. Not to mention the drastic shift in culture and politics that 9/11 caused in America. And yet no one ever frames it in those terms because the West - Americans in particular - see themselves as the actor and everyone else as the acted upon. Behind the facade of concern the liberal insistence that the west is responsible for all the third world's problems is just another outgrowth of western supremacist thinking.
>>
File: St Peters Basillica.jpg (163KB, 900x596px) Image search: [Google]
St Peters Basillica.jpg
163KB, 900x596px
This surpasses anything West Africans achieved in sculpture or anything else?
>>
>>2262096
It's not a pissing contest.
>>
>>2262102
what thread are you in?
>>
>>2260794
Ancient Rome at its height was much more advanced than the Yoruba civilization at the same time
>>
>>2262096
It's Funny...liberals praising a shitty marble statue and say "oh look at how great those west africans were"

yet they won't acknowledge this masterpiece
>>
>>2262136
>anyone who appreciates good art is a leftist
>>
>>2262136
I actually visited Rome and the rest of Italy unlike 99% of the white nationalists who sperg about muh greco-roman heritage.
>>
>>2262136
They do, unlike your silly fantasy. Things aren't just one or the other.
>>
>>2262154
>>2262148

So you guys are saying that St. Peters Bascillica is not that good compared to this west african sculpture?
>>
>>2262178
Are you retarded? They're saying that you can appreciate both. No itt has called European art inferior or even implied it, only you with your make believe liberals.
>>
>>2262178
What's it like being incapable of any kind of thought?

I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>2262178
>they like west Africans sculpture
>IT MEANS THAT THEY ARE FUCKING LIBRUL WANTING TO GENOCIDE THE WHITE RACE
Fuck off /pol/
>>
>>2261330
WE WUZ CONQUISTADORS AND SHIEET
>>
File: 100b.jpg (401KB, 991x1405px) Image search: [Google]
100b.jpg
401KB, 991x1405px
>>2262136
I like European art, I like African art, hell I like Japanese art too. Can you give the persecution complex a rest for a little while?
>>
>>2262136
You can appreciate something without always relating it to something else, brainlet
>>
>>2262282
>>2262276
>>2262276
>>2262221
>>2262214

Because of the relativism meme that you liberals always push

"you can't say one art is superior, its all relative...."

fuck out of here with that
>>
>>2262290
Nobody's saying that.

I can't even consider you human at this point.
>>
>>2262290
No one is saying that art can't be superior, idiot

We are talking about something you like and you coming along and saying "YOU CANT LIKE THIS BECAUSE THERE'S SOMETHING BETTER"

You're a retard

Do you stop everyone eating a meal that they like to say "YOU COULD BE EATING TRUFFLE AND STEAK RIGHT NOW THEREFORE THE CURRENT MEAL YOU ARE EATING IS UNENJOYABLE"

Do you listen to the same music everyday?

Idiot!
>>
>>2262296
so what do you think is better the sculpture or the basillica?
>>
>>2262304
The Basilica. But this thread's not about the Basilica, you vapid shit.
>>
>>2262303
so your the dumbass that would say something like

"Einstein was a cis white male heteropatriarchy man, his science was racist and colonial"

"we should go back Ancient African cosmology that believed that monkeys were gods that created the universe or some shit"

but hey its all relative, we can appreciate both right
>>
>>2262310
What?
>>
>>2262312
thats how leftists think

they tried to pull the same shit with Isaac Newton... look it up

"Decolonize science" video
>>
>>2260875
Literally every group has their version of this Goldilocks thing where they are just right, I should fucking collect them just to paste a wall of quotes at retards who think they are making some insightful observaton.
>>
>>2262310
If this is trolling I have to say I'm slightly impressed. You're coming off as a genuine retard.
>>
>>2262319
I just know how you leftists love to downplay Western Civilization's accomplishments

and overplay the accomplishments of literal who's
>>
File: Djenne Terracotta Vomit.jpg (177KB, 565x765px) Image search: [Google]
Djenne Terracotta Vomit.jpg
177KB, 565x765px
>thought we might actually have an interesting thread about the Yoruba/Edo or West Africa in general
>get this
Pic very related.
>>
File: 1408736922274.png (1MB, 1584x904px) Image search: [Google]
1408736922274.png
1MB, 1584x904px
>>2262276
>it's a persecution complex
>you're just paranoid
>leftists don't really hate western art
>>
>>2262344
exactly.....this is what i been trying to tell these idiots
>>
>>2262136
It's Funny...conservatives can't and don't appreciate art unless they can use it as an argument for their cultural and ideological superiority.
>>
>>2260875
Since you are neither intelligent nor creative, I would ask you to cease associating yourself with us white folks.
>>
>>2262178
>It's a /pol/fags having a persecution complex episode

Complimenting one person's skill =/= Shoving another person down
>>
>>2262316
>>2262310
Einstein was a Jew and Liberals are God-less.
You're delusional
>>
File: IMG_0512.jpg (134KB, 2197x1463px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0512.jpg
134KB, 2197x1463px
>>2262290
You're talking about abstract ideas subject to opinion

Spooks

>The elephant is bigger than the mouse

Is an objective statement

>The elephant is better than the mouse
Is a subjective statement
>>
I know this is aJuju invoking image board, but while it was inevitable, I didn't see the shift coming. It happens in every thread touching upon Sub-Saharan Africa's past.
>>
>>2262369
Pretty much. You notice how when /pol/ has "art" threads it's about circlejerking to realistic paintings of conquests. They have no appreciation for art.
>>
>>2262344
I feel bad for Berlin, that sucks and I really do agree with you about that. I only came to this thread because OP had a cool image of a sculpture I had never seen before I wanted to know more about west African art. I promise you that I think St Peter's Basilica and the Stadtschloss are absolutely kickass in every way, but I like learning about other things too.

You are free to make a Renaissance art thread too if that will make you feel better.
>>
>>2259335
>but bad at most other stuff

What do you mean? West Africa was pretty developed in the Middle Ages was it not? I thought they were rich as fuck from trade and whatnot.
>>
>>2262344
>>2262355
Why am I supposed to care about the facade on a building? You're arguing a completely different thing. Changing a facade to make a political statement has nothing to do with the actual visual characteristics of the facade. Meanwhile, someone posted a statue from Africa and you decided to make an entire set of posts railing on liberals and claiming whites are superior
>>
>>2260875

>Implying Ancient Greeks and Romans were white.
>>
>>2262391

Yeah. All those Jews who helped America build the bomb were frauds.

Where pray tell was the German atomic bomb?
>>
>>2261773
>pov from developed world is disturbing

Wow youre a fucking child.
>>
>>2262415
They didn't chance a facade. They just didn't build a mock up of the old building.
>>
File: beninbronzeagain.jpg (229KB, 458x640px) Image search: [Google]
beninbronzeagain.jpg
229KB, 458x640px
>>2262414
Not really. There was gold, which meant some states like Mali were rich in relation to the Mediterranean, but that didn't mean much in West Africa itself were gold wasn't especially valuable. Copper was seen as more precious because of its rarity.

That aside, despite a number of urban civilizations it wasn't an especially well developed region. Manufacturing wasn't very intensive, there was no real infrastructure, no minted currency, not much technology (though there was a lot of innovation in metallurgy), very little improvement of or investment in land. Many areas lacked literacy and practiced human sacrifice, and the slave trade was a major part of the economy.

I wouldn't say they were 'bad at most stuff' though. Their civilization only really emerged in the Middle Ages and they didn't have much time to develop. They weren't comparable to contemporary civilizations that had been developing for thousands of years, but were at a stage more similar to early civilizations like the Shang Dynasty or the early Sumerians. Of course the /pol/fags will just see this all in terms of race.
>>
>>2262451
>Copper was seen as more precious because of its rarity.
Is that why the Igbo jumped right to Iron working?
>>
>>2262458
The jury's still out on where iron working came from. It might have been introduced from Carthage or Meroe, or it might have been independently developed while somehow skipping the Bronze Age. I'm tempted to say it was introduced, but so far neither side has been able to actually prove anything so it could by anything.

Either way I don't think it started with the Igbo. It seems to appear around the same time in the Great Lakes and Sahel after about 500 BC.
>>
>>2262475
If it developed in the Great Lakes (which I'm very sympathetic to), I can't possibly imagine that was introduced via Carthage.
>>
File: 1453277145764.jpg (14KB, 240x251px) Image search: [Google]
1453277145764.jpg
14KB, 240x251px
>>2260875
>negros are creative but lack intelligence
>mongoloids are intelligent but lack creativity, they can refine things to a T but is that true creativity?
>us white folks are both intelligent and creative
>>
>>2262487
Well it might be that it was introduced and spread quickly, so the earlier evidence would appear almost contemporary. Honestly I don't know much about this so my opinions don't mean shit, I'm just going to wait until more evidence is found, maybe in places like the Congo or South Sudan that haven't really been explored archaeologically yet.

I'm just leaning more towards the idea of introduction because it seems like too big of an coincidence that iron would appear independently in two parts of Africa, right after being introduced in Carthage and Sudan.

Either way, it's clear that the extremely innovative methods of smelting practiced across sub-Saharan Africa were completely indigenous developments, regardless of where iron working originally came from.
>>
>>2262136
I wholeheartedly agree anon. Don't listen to the others, they are lying. You'd never see such a thread praising how wonderful art from say Italy or France is since those are cultures they don't have a political interest in promoting. They are guilty exactly of what >>2262369 is suggesting actually it's very ironic that they don't see it.

For the sake of the thread right now they're all pretending like "oh no but we love both" but really they don't, there's a reason they're constantly wanking themselves specifically over non-white or "primitive" art and making threads about that, and never a single thread about European art.

>>2262154
I live right next to Italy though and i go there all the time, in fact i travelled all over the world, but yeah no as we all know every single one of us is lower class, uneducated, american, fat, vulgar, never travelled, etc etc, right
>>
>>2262616
Type "art," in the catalog. I'm being trolled, why do I bother?
>>
>>2262616
Why do you assume only europeans browse here?
I just want to take pride in something. I just discovered my ancestors actually made things.
Why do you constantly feel the need to shove european architecture and art down my throat?
>>
>>2262687
>Why do you assume only europeans browse here?
I don't
>I just want to take pride in something.
Oh but me too that's exactly my point
>I just discovered my ancestors actually made things.
Yeah right because we totally get "exotic" art shoved down our throats every week for 20 years of education system
>Why do you constantly feel the need to shove european architecture and art down my throat?
lol, just lol, it's completely the other way around actually
>>
>>2259335
If only they put that much thought and skill into building houses, and they might not be living in mud huts
>>
>>2262701
What exactly is being shoved down your throat? Did you not choose to enter this thread? You go on about 'liberals' shoving this stuff down people's throats, but how many people in the West even know what a Yoruba is? Everybody knows what the Sistine Chapel is, everyone knows what Michelangelo's David is, how are these things being neglected?
>>
>>2262702
But they didn't just live in mud huts. Admittedly mud was the primary means of building in West Africa, but the structures were "varied". Wattle and Daub was employed to compensate for the moisture in more tropical regions. In Southern Nigeria, architecture tended to be rectangular with thatch roofs. Nothing to write home about, but don't make silly claims.
>>
>>2262616
Where did you learn to read people's minds? I wanna sign up
>>
>>2262755
>But they didn't just live in mud huts. Admittedly mud was the primary means of building in West Africa
You just contradicted yourself
>>
>>2262771
>Reading comprehension
>>
>>2262717
>Did you not choose to enter this thread?
Yes i did because i was actually interested in the first place

>You go on about 'liberals' shoving this stuff down people's throats, but how many people in the West even know what a Yoruba is? Everybody knows what the Sistine Chapel is, everyone knows what Michelangelo's David is, how are these things being neglected?
Yeah because it's the sistine chapel.
If we were to take every single little broken European statuette and put it on display it would be considered fucking boring but here apparently it's amazing.
Usually it's not even flattering it's more like "My dear look how those primitives actually attempted art, how quaint "
And yes it is shoved down our throats, i can't tell you the countless mandatory visits to museums, countless classes, movies, the whole arte tv channel, i hate it

(Also let's put things back in their context there are more people who know masterpieces than ethnicities. It's like if you asked "Can you tell me a few facts about the Bulgarian people ?" Everyone would tell you no. And then ask "Do you know what the Taj Mahal looks like ?" And everybody would tell you yes. )
>>
>>2262783
So why are you whining about African art in a thread about African art? The bronzes of the Edo and Yoruba were widely admired when they arrived in Europe, leading many people to come up with absurd theories involving Atlantis to explain them.

I don't go into European art thread #1488 and whine about it
>>
File: time.png (2MB, 697x8275px) Image search: [Google]
time.png
2MB, 697x8275px
>>2259458
pic related
>>
>>2262806
Because i saw an innocent white poster get jumped on by a dozen nigger posters for a single cheeky remark and i felt like it is my duty to help him
>>
>>2261402
>>2261338
>That's from 1250
carbon dating is notoriously unreliable. plus the portuguese were known to have found the canaries and azores pretty early so i wouldnt be surprised if a rogue ship got stranded in africa and diffused their artistic skills to the natives as they were integrated into the tribes.
>>
>>2262816
Are you retarded? Correcting people is not the same as attacking them
>>
>>2262814
Utter bullshit

Open any Zulu-English dictionary
>>
>>2262827
and do what
>>
>>2262821
No you fucking idiot, there are dozens of these sculptures from Ife and they've all been dated through luminescence to the 13th and 14th centuries. None of them show even the slightest sign of Portuguese influence.
>>
>>2262823
"Making a little passive aggressive pique is much better than outright insulting him"
Yeah sure
>>
>>2261944
>>2261944
Modern civil unrest in Syria started when the French came in and started drawing unrealistic maps in the 1920s and remained in control until the UN made them stop bombing Damascus and told them to give Syria it's independence.
After becoming independent they got caught up in the Arab-Israeli war, the result of post-ww2 European mandates
Then the US sponsored a coup overthrowing the democratically Syrian government, excelling unrest to new heights.
More European action in the seized
When that didn't work the soviets stepped in and started giving them guns, when they got sick of communist the CIA gave them a long list of commies to genocide and got a $55 million dollar arms deal out of it.
And the Baathist regime, bought and paid for by 1st world economic interests is the source of the urban-rural conflict between the minorities and Sunni that is currently being fought out today
This is getting tldr, and I haven't even gotten to the Assad regime, and neoliberal economics. Learn something substantive about what you are talking about yesh.
Saying the conflict in Syria is a consequence of free will is like saying food is grown in the grocery store.
The same goes for your other absurd accusations of me "denying agency"
>>
File: image.jpg (4KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4KB, 150x150px
>>2262436
Did you have a point you were trying to make?
>>
>>2261944
>Africas living standards far far better today
Maybe by your standards. In a small minority of the population. In a few countries.
Can I ask what living standards have improved and where?
>>
>>2260794
>Edo

We wuz samoorai
>>
>>2262915
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edo_people
Fuck off
>>
Never got the we was kings meme.
Hunter gather societies that emerged from socio-ecological interaction were more noble than any kind of kingdom, humanity went down hill after we organized beyond that tbqhwu. Sure devolpment wasn't without its benifits, but how long will it last? What did we lose? There isn't any going back from here. Evolutionary irony is a cruel motherfucker.
>>
>>2262921
I think he's just jesting. I remember hearing about Sakura from Mali, and going "huh."
>>
File: 1024px-Ancient_Benin_city.jpg (142KB, 1024x797px) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Ancient_Benin_city.jpg
142KB, 1024x797px
>How come West Africans were amazing at sculpture but bad at most other stuff?

I mean the architecture isn't terrible

Benin city looks nice
>>
>>2262930
Ever read up on stateless /decentralized societies?
>>
>>2262930
Define "noble" you anprim shit
>>
>>2259335
Because sculpture doesn't need work and effort; only someone to waste time doing nothing of practical value.
Art is another way of saying fake, art-ificial...pretentious for snobs who have nothing else to boast about but slabs of copper or hunks of rocks, useless petty stuff.
>>
>>2262972
textbook autism
>>
File: e1_0.jpg (361KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
e1_0.jpg
361KB, 720x480px
>>2262344
That one modern facade looks cool. Brutalism is GOAT architecture.
>>
>>2262939
None of the largish prehistoric ones, unfortunately
I am an anarchist, somewhere between a collectivist and a mutualist. As far as governance goes I am currently a fan of libertarian municipalism but think resources should be managed with the scientific method on a meta(but comparmentalised) scale using the peer review process and completly open to public participation , but not to democratic arbitration. The earth can't realistically be managed at the local level so we need a holistic approach to unsure sustainability.
Economically, I think that the earth system sciences should be applied to allocate collectively exploited resources to syndicates which produce goods that are monetized with a scarcity-based theory of value(I disagree with labor-based value), when the products are sold in a free market, this newly created wealth can be used to trade for services or another good of equal scarcity, where it is then destoryed and a new value is created, this would require a digitized currency. I haven't really rigoursly articulated this idea but it is what I see as optimal. And the free market doesn't have to be the only thing, democratic institutions can apply socialism under the same guidelines, just no central planning.
>>2262953
As an ideal of possessing the qualities a being ought to posses. Ought as in what makes that being what it is. Hunter gather societies are what humans emerged from, it's what made us human in the first place. Being qua being it is the essence of humanity. I'm not anprim I'm just an ecologist
>>
>>2262861
berbers with roman blood then. or romans themselves. only white dna can make sculptures like this
>>
>>2259829
It's more like a need to expand and start a civilization gave us stress. This leads to concepts like time keeping.

If you're living in a no stress, hippie commune then there's rarely a need for time.
>>
>>2262883
Your perspective is shit so your opinion is shit. If you aren't going to kill yourself at least neuter yourself, lest your jaunts in the local burger king stall cause an un-immaculate conception.
>>
>>2261773
Oh man you're just making shit up as you go along lol
1/10 terrible
>>
>>2260673
>or better as what existed in contemporaneous Europe, India, or China

Not better. Not really.
>>
>>2260875

WE WUZ ...
>>
>>2261176
>independence of India.

What is taught about this in Britain ? Like how it is portrayed ? Ungrateful Indians taking everything from Brittania and then kicking out or Britain being magnanimous and letting go of the colony or the objective way where it simply couldnt maintain its colonies, there were genuine unrest in the cunt abt how the cunt was exploited and hence the independence was inevitable ?
>>
>>2263492
In quite a few cases, yes
>>
>>2262616
> You'd never see such a thread praising how wonderful art from say Italy or France
Because that's our culture, we know about it already. Instead of just wanking it over stuff we already know, we can go that extra mile and learn about other stuff.
>>
>>2263354
I hope you are trolling.
>>
>>2262136
The left wing is full of losers. They usually suffer from hivemind and an intelligence related inferiority complex. They want to be reminded by their peers constantly about how intelligent and advanced they are. This is despite the fact their thoughts and opinions are always confide to the social standard of "what's acceptable to say". This complex inhibits them from saying something blatantly observable from fear of offending someone.
Given this, it's totally acceptable to shred and destroy anything Europeans achieved. Are they really going to ask the hard questions on why certain people haven't achieved much?
It's so much easier to tear down and destroy their own culture and history then produce something themselves, or god forbid, properly critique another culture.
>>
File: deceased_uk.png (185KB, 540x438px) Image search: [Google]
deceased_uk.png
185KB, 540x438px
>>2261299
>>2261143
>>2261052
Fucking grim.
>>
>>2263469
Is this your first day on the Internet?
Take this immature shit to a designated shitposting zone.
>>
>>2263484
You're not wrong
Niether am I.
>>
>>2263525
Like ?

Not baiting like the other /pol/fag, genuinely curious.
>>
>>2263566
>we all have opinions
>opinions are all the same because they can be boiled down to words constructed in different ways
>Therefore there's no difference in opinion. And I'm right and wrong and anywhere inbetween. But so are you!
Relativism has to be one of the worst thinking styles ever developed defined. It's just so fucking lazy. Is this why it appeals to you? Because you don't want to think hard about different things?
>>
>>2263592
>I don't have a clue what realism means
Shoo, go away
>>
>>2263601
*relativism
coincidentally, you are a naive realist.>>2263592
>>
>>2262879
>unrealistic maps in the 1920s
People always say this about the borders in the Middle East. Explain to me what was wrong with them.

>After becoming independent they got caught up in the Arab-Israeli war,
you mean they chose to declare war on Israel

> started giving them guns,
which the Syrians then decided how to use. If you think the Americans or Soviets are more responsible for how the Syrians used these guns than the Syrians themselves then yes, you are denying the Arabs agency.

>Then the US sponsored a coup overthrowing the democratically Syrian government
The Syrian government in 1949 was teetering on the brink of collapse after losing the war with Israel. And its really stretching the term to call it democratic given the fraud, intimidation, and interference from Iraq and Jordan that took place during the elections. It doesn't even seem that the CIA played any serious role in events - all they did, more or less, was give America's seal of approval to a coup that was happening anyway.

All in all, America had far more influence on the post-war governments of Western Europe than it did in the middle east, but you don't hear France or the UK complaining today how America is responsible for all their present day problems. For that matter, no one ever talks about the US destabilising the UK, despite the fact that it was Americans - often members of the American government - who funded the IRA. Because when first world countries (read: white countries) interfere in each other's affairs it's just politics, but when it happens in third world countries everything become's America's fault from then on.

>is the source of the urban-rural conflict between the minorities and Sunni that is currently being fought out today
yes, because all the different sectarian communities in Syria lived in harmony before the evil Europeans came along.

as an offhand example of how laughable that statement is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hauran_Druze_Rebellion
>>
>>2263634
Ugg, I hate lengthy replies.
Tommorow morning sweetheart
Learn the difference between agency and free will in the mean time
>>
File: rambha-apsar-3.jpg (1MB, 2592x3872px) Image search: [Google]
rambha-apsar-3.jpg
1MB, 2592x3872px
>>2263525
>In quite a few cases, yes

Nah, India ones are more intricate. Although Roman and Greek ones had more accurate anatomy.
>>
>>2263522
>What is taught about this in Britain?

They don't teach it. That way Conservatives can dream on about being white saviors, and Liberals can dream about 'muh oppression'.

The truth is probably closer to the Liberal version, however.
>>
>>2262082
>actually, pretending that the west created the arab countries and controlled their governments and economies pretty much is the exact definition of denying them agency.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sykes%E2%80%93Picot_Agreement
>literally creates the countries and borders in the ME
>denies the West being responsible for it
>>
>>2263664
It's alright
>>
>>2263740
Sandstone is much harder than marble or bronze, you have to go much slower due to brittleness. One cannot cheat with wax either.
>>
>>2263740

> pic related, prob about 1000 years ago, solid gold.

And this is probably not even the most intricate idol. So there is no way there are better carved statues from west africa from that age
>>
>>2263664
>Although Roman and Greek ones had more accurate anatomy.

What is wrong about those curvey matey ? xD
>>
>>2263809
Gold is easy to work.

(But not easy as fucking wax which is what you need to sculpt your statue from if you're casting bronze later)
>>
>>2263064
>Brutalism is GOAT architecture.
"no"
[spoilers] kys my mang [/spoilers]
>>
>>2263690

Not mentioning anything is better than whitewashing though. Good for them.
>>
File: wpid-photo-201411210830511.jpg (1MB, 1364x2048px) Image search: [Google]
wpid-photo-201411210830511.jpg
1MB, 1364x2048px
>>2263813
>What is wrong about those curvey matey ? xD

No way every women had these kind of jugs back then. Roman ones with small tits are much more accurate.
>>
>>2263559
Yea chide me and not the u mad style image macro posting. Kill your parents for their shit-the-bed job.
>>
>>2259335
It looks shit.
>>
>>2262879
When did the French ever bomb Damascus?
>>
>>2262082
Bullshit. Syria, Jordan, Iraq, Kuwait, and Lebanon were directly established by the British and French, with hand-picked monarchs and officials willing to play ball with colonial powers. Saudi Arabia and Israel were formed under similar auspices.

While Persia and Egypt kept their nominal independence for decades, both were dictatorships run by British-installed monarchs to facilitate the Western economy.

When Arabs resisted this influence (primarily through Ba'athism and Marxism), Britain and France and the good old US of A funded the most heinous of Islamic fundamentalists in hopes of weaking popular pan-Arabist movements.
>>
>>2262821
What artistic skills? Nobody in Portugal made sculptures like that.
>>
>>2264200

ahh yes the "blame the west" card.....

thereby eliminating any agency for muslims
>>
>>2264210
Oh Arabs certainly have agency... but this agency has almost exclusively been in revolt of European colonial imposition
>>
>>2263852
I don't know, I've seen a lot of Indian women with curvy bodies.

And forget realism, Greek and Romans preferred small dicks in their statues, that's (hopefully) not realistic to them in real life.
>>
File: images (32).jpg (12KB, 400x265px) Image search: [Google]
images (32).jpg
12KB, 400x265px
>>2263612
>>2263601
Pathetic
>>
>>2262096
>>2262136
lol @ racists who literally cannot even look at a west african sculpture without going all 'we wuz michelangeloz and shieet'
>>
File: o-BOOB-MAP-570.jpg (64KB, 570x569px) Image search: [Google]
o-BOOB-MAP-570.jpg
64KB, 570x569px
>>2264355
That can't be true! Indian women have some of the flattest chests in the world, statistically speaking.
>>
>>2263634
See
>>2263738
To this day ISIS claims undoing this as one of their main objectives.
>war on Israel

A war that was started by Europeans partitioning Palestine which they had assumed control over under mandate.
>still can't understand the difference between free will and agency
Agents make decisions, those decisions are still the result of deterministic interactions
Also 1st world interests literally gave them weapons and motivation to kill each other
>but America did other stuff too
That has nothing to do with this, many of those post war relations were bilaterally planned and economically mutual.

>because all secretarian communities lived in harmony.
They weren't at war with eachother, this current conflict came from a government brought about by western intervention that only represented a small minority of the population.
>>226389
In 1945 they shelled parliament while attempting to arest democratically elected leaders.
>>
File: Sykes-picot agreement.jpg (3MB, 2424x2224px) Image search: [Google]
Sykes-picot agreement.jpg
3MB, 2424x2224px
>>2266666
No one forced the Syrians to get involved in the Palastine-Israel conflict

>>2266666
>>2263738
Have you ever actually looked at the borders marked out by sykes-picot? ( Of course not that would be far too much to ask)

They bear only the vaguest resemblance to the middle east's present day borders. Because the final borders weren't drawn up by two ignorant Europeans thousands of miles away. They were very much a response to the socio-political conditions in the Middle East. Arab nationalists always whine about how the Europeans prevented the great united caliphate from coming into being but the inconvenient truth was that Iraqis, Syrians, Jordanians, etc, etc had no desire to be ruled by the al Saud family.
>>
>>2259335
>Igbo
>Being like other niggers
They're basically the master race niggers. Don't compare them to the rest of the sub-humans on that continent.
>>
File: Igbo Isaiah Vessel.jpg (85KB, 392x641px) Image search: [Google]
Igbo Isaiah Vessel.jpg
85KB, 392x641px
>>2266991
It's Yoruba though.

This is Igbo.
>>
File: England_math.png (70KB, 546x430px) Image search: [Google]
England_math.png
70KB, 546x430px
>>2266991
>Its another "the igbo are the jews of Africa" episode

LOL just because they do good in education doesn't make them somehow superhuman.

They just have a good immigrant culture for academics
>>
>>2266997
They do the best in Nigeria itself though, despite all other Nigerians constantly massacring them.
>>
>>2266997
Famalam, when your average iq is around 100 on a continent where the average is 60-70 there's a pretty big difference.
>>
File: received_1199983370130045.jpg (19KB, 480x300px) Image search: [Google]
received_1199983370130045.jpg
19KB, 480x300px
>>2262701

I have to confess, if you're trolling you succeeded, I'm buttmad.

I can't believe such a retard could even be interested in this board.
>>
>>2262389
This
>>
>>2266613
>West Africans aren't busty
>their descendants in the Americas (even the starving ones like Haitians) are

On another note, I need to get myself a Russian girl.
>>
>>2263852
>No way every women had these kind of jugs back then

they could have just portrayed the ones with jugs.

Just like everyone in porn has big thic dicks and huge flowing milkjugs
>>
>>2266991
Good thing OP specified WEST Africa. Are you also throwing North and East Africans under the same subhuman bus or just subSaharan. How distant are they from other West Africans genetically?
>>
>>2268331
Pure Cushitics aka horn of africans are around the same genetic distance that the Japanese are from Native Americans than they are from Niger-Congo people but they are still more related to them than Europeans

But then the added semitic mixture present in 99% of HOA's + the already distinct Cushitic makes them a closer to NA than WA

North Africans are more related to Europeans than WA
>>
>>2268345
oops, I meant igbo from other west africans
>>
>>2268354
From what I've seen they are damn near the exact same

Just about the same as Yoruba

Although some racial theorists today have said that their ancient Mercantile experience makes them similar to the jewish population in wit.

Its how they explain their high success in academics

Although I would say its their culture
>>
>>2266941
>vaguest resemblance
>created Syria
>created Palestine
>a line right down section B created Iraq and Jordan
>vaguest resemblance
Sykes-Picot decided which territory belonged to who, later on did the French and the British actually create the borders and countries within their possessions. Jordan is still ruled by the Hashemite dynasty imposed by the British; Israel is the fault of the British Empire encouraging the creation of a Jewish homeland and allowing thousands of Jews to flood into Palestine; Iraq, Syria, and Lebanon are still just a clusterfuck of Druze, Assyrians, Kurds, Sunnis, and Shiites all being forced into one state under the rule of western imposed kings, military dictatorships, or one party states.

The borders are just half of it; you also had regular Western imperialism deposing and imposing rulers, funding the proxy states of Israel and Saudi Arabia, one causing constant destabilizing wars and the one spreading an insane, fanatical strand of Islam. And that's just west of Iran, which they started a coup in to reinstate the unpopular monarch because the democratically elected government was about to take away the oil fields from them, and of course since this monarch was hated there was a revolution against him, which wasn't bad enough for Iran, western backed Iraq had to go and engage in a decade long war against them. At least we can blame Afghanistan going to shit because of the Soviets, well, of course until the West started funding and training the Muhajadeen which later became the Taliban.
>>
>>2268383
Culture isn't really that exceptional alongside accomplishments compared to Yoruba.
>>
>>2266997
Literally just the educated and middle class Nigerians immigrating.
>>
>>2263836
not mentioning is kidna like whitewashing. Kinda like how European nations that never had a rep as a foreign power or are now irrelevant (Netherlands, Italy, Prodigal Germany)can say that they were benevolent even though they went and did very fucked up things but because they are irrelevant or overshadowed by other thing it's ignored.
>>
>>2259473
He's trolling (obviously). Some guy posted this on a blog and actually expected that no Africans would contend with his bs and prove him wrong but some nigerian btfo in the comment section.

Also some guy tried to pull this on /int/ but some brit anon who is a linguist studying East African languages came in much to that posters horror.

In this case I have access to a Tigrinya speaker not right now but maybe sometime later if this thread is up. If that poster is serious about his delusion he'll probably say that Tigrinya is not/less "African" in some way or doesn't count because it's Afro-Asiatic.
>>
>>2261944
Comparatively the gap pre-contact was much smaller then during the colonial rule and independance.

All benefits of colonialism for Africa was like picking shit from corn and attempting to make a corn dinner from it.
>>
>>2262136
go back poltard
>>
>>2269593
>He's trolling (obviously). Some guy posted this on a blog and actually expected that no Africans would contend with his bs and prove him wrong but some nigerian btfo in the comment section.
Source? That sounds fun to read.
>>
File: Battle of Berlin Soviet pepe.jpg (194KB, 849x594px) Image search: [Google]
Battle of Berlin Soviet pepe.jpg
194KB, 849x594px
>>2262344
>>2262355
>They're still triggered
>>
>>2268345
>pure
>Cushites

Pick one. They haven't been pure for over 5000 years.
>>
File: 98635159_5db449c344_z.jpg (77KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
98635159_5db449c344_z.jpg
77KB, 333x500px
>>2269956
>5000 years

The majority of the Eurasian admixture showed up in HOA before the advent of agriculture in the region so try 7 or 8,000 years

But researchers can isolate genes and find people like this with higher level of cushite in them

They studied that and found it to be significantly different from the surrounding region
>>
>>2270022
She looks somewhat Nilo-Saharan. And the 5,000 thing is from this study that found a 5,000 year old skull that didn't have any Eurasian DNA.

Speaking of, what are those guys? The people West Africans came from?
Thread posts: 201
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.