[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How relevant were pirates in their golden age? How accurate is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: oneleg.jpg (114KB, 556x931px) Image search: [Google]
oneleg.jpg
114KB, 556x931px
How relevant were pirates in their golden age? How accurate is their current portrayal?
>>
>>2257071
They were very relevant, but most don't have a very accurate picture in mind thanks to them being highly romanticized. The majority of ship crews preying on other ship crews were privateers, paid for by France, Britain, etc to loot another Empire's shipping, especially the Spanish. They were very rarely intrepid men saying fuck you to the system, as they were actively serving Kings most of the time. Privateers would turn pirate when opportunities for legitimate work was low.
>>
>>2257116
This just makes them sound cooler.
>>
>>2257116
Seem like fascinating times, do you know any good books on the subject
>>
>>2257150
All I can think of off the top of my head is this. It's about how Captain Kidd, despite being famed as a pirate was really working for the British the whole time, and all the shit he went through.
>>
>>2257144
This
>>
>>2257167
That sounds populist af
>>
>>2257071

Season 1 episode 3 or 4 of Black Sails. Most accurate interpretation of two Pirate ships attacking eachother. Features a boarding and cannon battle. Its basically the pirate version of what Tom Hanks directed for the d-day beach landing in Saving Private Ryan.

The relevance of Pirates in their Golden Age? Hmmm tough question. To answer I'll leave everyone to determine what the Golden age was for Pirates.

Was it

>colonial Caribbean and the Americas
>post Crusades Mediterranean
>colonial India and South Pacific
>ancient China or Western influence 18th-19th century China and Eastern Pacific
>Northern seas during the early middle ages and days of the Vikings
>Feudal Japan

To decide look at which time is most relevant to today. Which is most romanticized. Which was most truely a time where Pirates had control of the seas.
Also take into account the time when most wealth was up for grabs and which was most profitable for Pirates.

>How accurate is their current portayal

The captain was very similar to pic related, crew members were usually poor dressed as they had little money to buy nicer things or proper place to store fancier clothes. Not to mention they wouldnt wear nice clothes while they were laboring all day. But clothes veried to the time that we are talking about.

(This is my educated guess) and if true or not please do tell me because I'm also asking if uniforms probably weren't uncommon? I'm sure it was completely possible that privateers or ships that used to belong to a navy who turned pirate would wear a uniform dress code to represent or disguise themselves.
>>
>>2257913
B A R B A R Y

where da white women at? I'll take three
>>
>>2257928

True I did forget Barbary specifically, but i did say Mediterranean post crusades, unless you're thinking specifically early 19th century?
>>
>>2257071
>Don't ever raise yer colours near me nor me hearties again
>>
>>2257116
>when you're watching bodacious pirates and all the neckbeards get mad and drop the show because they mention letters of marque and legal piracy in the first episode
>>
>>2258151
But the neckbeards loved that. The yurifags just got mad that it was going to be a show about naval warfare in space instead of a show about cute girls in pirate hats doing cute things.
>>
>>2257116
Well duh. You would always prefer to do piracy legally if you had the opportunity, and war in Europe was usually happening between some naval power or another at any one time.

It's a choice between pissing off one state or pissing off many states. It's easier to avoid one ensign over a dozen.
>>
>>2258180
No, the neckbeards hated it. They were expecting it to be an shonenesqe action show except with cute girls. What you ended up with was cute girls doing mildly intellectually stimulating and interestingly justified things with actual canon yuri content.
>>
>>2257913
>tom hanks directed saving private ryan
>>
>>2258496
And speilberg yes, but Hanks was much more present in the whole set up and is highly credited for factual reality of the whole scene as well as many others. Should save you time and banter now and post youtube links of interviews or are you gona keep calling me out?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.