[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did pirate ships really sneak up on British ships? I am watching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: home-slide-photo1.jpg (160KB, 940x381px) Image search: [Google]
home-slide-photo1.jpg
160KB, 940x381px
Did pirate ships really sneak up on British ships? I am watching black sails and to me it seems unrealistic that an active crew wouldn't notice an approaching vassal. (Except at night of course)
>>
They would fly the flag of the country of the ship they were approaching, so as to hide in plain sight as a friendly vessel
>>
>>2251497
They would also change the rigging and deck configuration to disguise themselves as a different type of ship like a whaler, cruise ship, or junk ship to lure the other boat into a false sense of security.
>>
>>2251499
oh wow, I didn't realise boats were modular. That's pretty cool anon.
>>
>>2251499
>auto-boats transform and sail out!
>>
>>2251511
It's a practice that continued well through WWII with Germans using exceptionally well crafted merchant raiders around the Atlantic that could disguise themselves as several different types of vessels to sink allied ships, in WWI the famous merchant raider SMS Wolf sank a total of 29 allied ships.
>>
File: SMSSeeadlerFront.png (2MB, 1146x1452px)
SMSSeeadlerFront.png
2MB, 1146x1452px
Maybe the oddest pirate was german sail ship SMS Seeadler. Captured 16 steamships in WWI while sailing half way around the world.
>>
>>2251612
also Q ships were used by several navies in both world wars, mostly as anti submarine weapons
>>
>>2249828
Aren't pirate ships and British ships the same thing?
Hell they gave Drake the title of Sir.
>>
>>2251933
It was originally a Scottish built American ship. The Germans captured the ship before America had entered the war while it was en route to a Russian port. They added a diesel engine, two main guns, MGs and a prisoner hold for raiding. At one point the ship was sailing with 300 prisoners. The Germans off loaded the prisoners on a captured ship under the charge of a British officer. Pretty crazy history.
>>
>>2249828
Warships have to fly their countries/naval war flag before making an attack or else they really were pirates. That is why German submarines 'flew' their flags while submerged.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.