[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why have the napoleonic wars been largely forgotten by pop culture?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 5ba0faac13ee3471bceb5d56752177f5.jpg (251KB, 1169x1371px) Image search: [Google]
5ba0faac13ee3471bceb5d56752177f5.jpg
251KB, 1169x1371px
Why have the napoleonic wars been largely forgotten by pop culture?

I mean, Napoleon is definitely a well known figure, but only by name, I doubt most people know why he is famous.

I mean, they are basically World War 0. So at first I tough maybe they were stuck in the same hole WW1 was, overshadowed by WW2, but lately the interest in WW1 seems to have spiked, while I still don't see much mention of the napoleonic wars anywhere.
>>
>>2241358
There's hasn't been a major, iconic film or even television series on it. Or even a video game. Think about it, films like Saving Private Ryan and games like Call of Duty popularised WW2 to your average Joe. Outside academia, your average person has had little exposure to Napoleon on his life and therefore don't care. It's not like they're going read War and Peace or any historical biography.

There needs to be a Oscar winning blockbuster on the man.
>>
>>2241358
The only reason why WWI is being referenced in pop culture again is because of the ongoing WWI Centennial.

Once November 11, 2018 rolls around, it'll be forgotten again.
>>
>>2241386
You might be right. I did started hearing way more about WW1 after Battlefield 1 was first announced. Tho it was already getting some more mentions earlier.

>>2241387
idk man, you might be right that it's due to the centennial. But I imagine that all the kewl missconceptions people have built in their heads of WW1 might make it stick for longer, like that idea that it was literal cavemen fighting with modern guns or something that a lot of people seem to believe.
>>
>>2241358
shit that horse has a fine ass
>>
>>2241386
>There's hasn't been a major, iconic film or even television series on it.

>Sharpe
>Hornblower
>Master and Commander
>the Duelists
>War and Peace
>Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Do not mistake the ignorance of the yankee for worldwide ignorance
>>
>>2242868
Tell me of any country where you can walk outside, ask people about Napoleon, and have them know at least the most basic thing about him.

Because not a single one from the new world is like that.
>>
>>2242882
... do you live in some kind of retardo land?
"he was a short french general or emperor or something" would be the most common answer basically all over europe
>>
>>2242957
This.
Most would also know that Waterloo was a battle
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (59KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
59KB, 1280x720px
>>2241386

>television series

Napoleon (2002)

>Or even a video game.

Napoleon: Total War
Cossacks 2: Napoleonic Wars.
>>
>>2241386
>>2242868
Don't forget Waterloo by Bondarchuk
>>
>>2243290
>Napoleon (2002)

This serie is great in that it recounts most of the events in Napoleon's career, but the actors play is meh and the battle scenes are fucking terrible
>>
In Australia most peoples would not know if napolean was a roman general , a Spanish explorer , a crusading king etc. Honestly I didn't even know for a long time until I delved into history . NOBODY TOLD US. I EVEN STUDIED history at school...
>>
>>2243290
Oh yeah, because the average westerner is going to watch a French TV show or play a Real-time Strategy game...
>>
>>2242868
don't think your average milennial would have seen any of them, maybe bill and ted but thats it mate
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.