[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>1. your country >2. how good of a job they do of teaching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

>1. your country
>2. how good of a job they do of teaching their failures/atrocities committed

1. America
2. Only blacks and native americans, to a much lesser degree, get sympathy in textbooks. Briefly mention how we btfo Mexico numerous times as part of manifest destiny, and might have rigged a war with Spain. Oh and japanese internment camps. Definitely not as bad as some other countries, but really the only thing Americans feel apologetic for is slavery/jim crow.
>>
>>2239737
Generally in America people are expected to either cry about it daily like a faggot or pretend we dindunuffin. Seldom do I meet someone with a balanced view on it.

This thread, for example, is doomed to descend into people from those two camps arguing.
>>
>>2239737
Same. Except we never learned about Japanese Internment Camps except this one time in grade school when the teacher read us a picture book about it. American failures like Bay of Pigs or the really fucked up shit we did in the Philippine American war never really get mentioned.
>>
>>2239737
(continued)
Basically every war after the civil war gets swept under the rug since history classes tend to focus on reconstruction and civil rights after that. Monroe doctrine is mentioned, but really without any explanation of how much the CIA fucked around trying to influence other countries. Even the bigger recent wars like Korea and Vietnam are barely mentioned, and paragraphs talking about them would usually say something about containment or anti-war protests, respectively.
>>
File: IMG-20170117-WA0012.jpg (26KB, 300x399px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170117-WA0012.jpg
26KB, 300x399px
>>2239737
>UK
>It gets skimmed over. We're generally a model of liberty, halted the slave trade, the Nazis and Soviets were the main exponents of concentration camps, India, Ireland, the Opium Wars are not touched on. This is secondary/high school, I don't have post-secondary studies knowledge.
>>
>>2239737
What about that time that America interfered with a democratic election in Iran and denied it for 50 years which invigorated the religious leaders since people no longer trusted democratic leaders because they had historical precedent to assume they were American puppets?
>>
>>2239801
Sasuga Anglos
>>
Australia

The failures usually covered focus on how handling of Aboriginals and the Stolen Generation. Basically taking kids away, putting them in foster homes and then a whole bunch of them got abused by their new carers. We don't really cover the internment of Italians during WWII.
>>
File: image.jpg (97KB, 658x351px)
image.jpg
97KB, 658x351px
>>2239737
>Poland
>we dindu nuffin
the general idea is everyone always turns their back on us and we scrap and claw for independence
>>
>>2239801
Well that's some shitty bait.

>>2239737
In answer to OP's question, here's what I got in the UK:

>We're generally a model of liberty, halted the slave trade,
This is never taught in schools. All that's taught about slavery is the triangular trade across the Atlantic, the miserable conditions of the slave ships, and that's it. The fact that the UK was the country that ended the slave trade is never even brought up.

Honestly, most things are glossed over simply because there's so much history to cover - and we also did a lot of world history. I remember doing Romans, Ancient Greeks and Ancient Egyptians, and the Tudors and the Victorians in primary school. They also managed to slip in the discovery of the New World and the slave trade (I remember going on a school trip to bristol to see the replica of John Cabot's ship), although I've no idea how it tied into anything else we were doing.

Then in secondary school I think we started off on medieval history from 1066, although all I really remember about it is the black death and peasants revolt. I don't think the crusades were mentioned much, i just remember learning about the economic effects of the black death (which as a 13 year old I found excruciatingly boring).

Then for GCSEs (the exams we take age 16) we studied WW2. Battle of Britain, North African campaign, Barbarossa, etc, etc - just the highlights, essentially (the holocaust was mentioned but we didn't really have time to go into detail). I remember doing post-war American history - Kennedy, Vietnam, Cold War, etc, - at some point. Later on I also did 19th century British political history (which did touch on the Irish famine, although it came at it from the perspective of the failures of the British political system and free market economic thought, not herp derp celtic holocaust), Russian history 1855-1955, and the French Revolution.

I also got a bit of WW1 history in my A level English class, as part of our war poets section.
>>
>>2240146
in summary, in the UK history education is largely apolitical and doesn't really deal with any touchy subjects, apart from teaching about Britain's role in the slave trade. At least, that was my experience of it, although its been ten years since I left school and it depends a lot on what modules a school chooses to teach, which vary greatly from school to school.
>>
>>2239737
>Australia
>We were taught to view the white australia policy and the stolen generation in an extremely negative light, but when I was in school the government had a labour education leader
>>
>>2239737
1. Brazil
2. They tell kids we massacred Paraguayans in the War of Paraguay even though we did nothing wrong.
Sometimes it's considered the Britbongs fault tho.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.