[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true that Phillip the II could have taken Paris after San

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Felipe II.jpg (14KB, 250x299px) Image search: [Google]
Felipe II.jpg
14KB, 250x299px
Is it true that Phillip the II could have taken Paris after San Quentin? Why the fuck he didn't take the city to get a better deal in the peace treaty and to maybe to capture the French royal family to impoe the conditions that he wished? Am I missing something? Why didn't he just take?
>>
>>2236510
I don't think he could. Paris was the biggest city in western Europe. The armies at that time were slow and costed a lot to maintain. Philip II probably had in mind the siege of Metz where his father completly failed. Besides, the garnison in Saint Quentin hadn't surrender yet.
>>
>>2236510

He already got pretty much everything he wanted from the war; the three Bishorphics, and confirmed Hapsburg domination in Italy. Why extend the campaign?
>>
>>2236510
Are we talking about the same guy who thought attacking England the same way that the Normans did was a good thing? Or are we talking about a guy who got all of Portugals colonies in a personal union and he still went bankrupt multiple times. Though most were before 1580
>>
>>2237259
>three Bishorphics
They remained french though.
>>
>>2237277
> got all of Portugals colonies in a personal union and he still went bankrupt multiple times

lol, thats my Spain.
>>
>>2237221
The army that he raised was the biggest since the Roman time(in western Europe at least). He raised 80k thousand troops just in the northern front.
>>2237277
>are we talking about a guy who got all of Portugals colonies in a personal union and he still went bankrupt multiple times.
He went bankrupt because Charles endebted the kingdom so heavily that it wasn't sustainable to afford a war and France didn't stop chimping out
>>
>>2236510
He could have taken the city, but not hold it.
>>
>>2237277
>Are we talking about the same guy who thought attacking England the same way that the Normans did was a good thing?
It wasn't a bad plan had it succeeded. He just got unlucky. A first armada was sent but was sunk in storm. The second, for famous, armada, was closer to victory than is sometimes though. Had the armada actually made it to England it would have subdued it within weeks.
>>
>>2237749
>He could have taken the city, but not hold it.
>Take Paris
>Try to capture Henry II
>If you don't find him burn it into the ground and sack it
Henry would have just accept anything in any of these scenarios
>>
>>2237737
His father had 60 000 men at the siege of Metz. He failed.
>>
>>2237852
Paris had no garrison and Henry confirmed this later on. They could have taken the city in a couple of days
>>
>>2237859
It's purely speculative anyways. What's historical is that the spanish had three chances to take Paris : Saint Quentin, Amiens in 1597 and at Corbie in 1636. They never seriously attempted to take Paris. So they either were pretty stupid, or it was clear they couldn't really take a city the size of Paris.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.