[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did figures such as Sartre and Camus (among others in France)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: his in a nutshell.gif (716KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
his in a nutshell.gif
716KB, 500x200px
Why did figures such as Sartre and Camus (among others in France) denounce France's colonial venture in Algiers and support the idea of Algerian independence? I mean, it was very clear that the FLN was an Islamist party that denounced the things that one must admit are quintessential to 'Frenchness': for example, atheism/secularism, alcohol consumption (don't pretend the French don't love their wine), a degree of sexual openness bordering on libertinism, etc.

During the Algerian Civil War, the FLN was Islamist at its core (even if it did calm down after the war): so why the fuck did so many French Leftists support the FLN? I'm not even a reactionary, but I would rather have secular French rule over an administration that derives its platform from Islam (or any religion).
>>
>>2235077
Because France shat on every other party by outlawing them. Also shitting on Algerians non stop and prior sentence tends to ferment more extreme sentiments. Also sorting to violence to deal with people begets violence.
>>
>>2235077
Because needing Frenchness is a part of the world that isn't France is colonialism
>>
>>2235077
I'm not familiar with the Civil War. Yet from my understanding, men such as Camus and Sartre simply loved their homeland, Algeria was their home, and as French as they were, France wasn't their place of birth.

By the time the Civil War broke out, the idea of self-government and anti-imperialism was pretty accepted. Why fight for a land that's not ours, and if they want to rule themselves why not let them? I'm guessing that was the logic behind it.

As for the thousands, perhaps millions of French Algerians who had been living in Algeria since the 1830s, kind of a depressing exodus to read about.
>>
>>2235077
Leftists have always been retarded anon its not a recent thing.
>>
>>2235077
do you understand the phenomenon of decolonization

do you realize what was happening in algeria in the 60's
>>
>>2235681
Sartre had no blood relation with Algeria.
>>
>>2235077
>my nationalism is better than your nationalism, so I rule

this is what edgy children actually believe
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.