[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /his/ have any good books on China to help someone who doesn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

Does /his/ have any good books on China to help someone who doesn't know a lot about their history?
>>
File: catphoto.jpg (24KB, 222x285px) Image search: [Google]
catphoto.jpg
24KB, 222x285px
>>
>>2234886
ROTK
>>
>>2234886
That one book by John Stuart Mills who says theyre baCKWARS SAVAGES DESPITE NEVER HAVING BEEN there.
>>
>>2234955
Saw this and thought smartass talking about Return of the King, then googled it.
>>
>>2234959
Principles of Political Economy? China is still relatively undeveloped and they reason they were for so long is because of a) they way they organized their country and b) because of their lack of trade with other countries.
>>
>>2234959
Settle down Chang
>>
China: A History by John Keay
>>
>>2235853
I haven't heard good things in particular about Keay.
>>
Also want this.

China has like 5000 years of continous history, would be interesting to read about.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Exiled-Pilgrims-Peng-Deng/dp/9004292276/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484642854&sr=8-2&keywords=Peng+Deng

Edited by one of my college professors. I wasn't required to read it in College but I did anyway and it was pretty great if you want an idea of what the diaspora of the 60's and 70's went through when sent all over China. Deng himself was one of them and had some great stories.

Incredibly expensive unfortunately.
>>
China - A New History by John King Fairbank is pretty much the gold standard for a very readable introductory level text that covers the broad expanse of ancient China to the modern day.

You can also listen to the From Yao to Mao - 5000 Years of Chinese History lecture series.
>>
>>2235853
Doesn't Keay get a little dry?
>>
File: 1421.jpg (45KB, 322x499px) Image search: [Google]
1421.jpg
45KB, 322x499px
>>2234886
>>
>>2235153
b) because of their lack of trade with other countries.
What. They traded with everyone. Even discounting their neighbors, who they traded tons ith, there was a silver shortage in Europe during the 17th century because China took all their silver due to the massive Trade surplus that China was generating.

Hell the reason opium became a thing was due to the British not finding anything else besides silver that the Chinese wanted for their goods.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.