[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Friendly Reminder to abandon Academia and obtaining a Humanities

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: serveimage.jpg (82KB, 1366x1156px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
82KB, 1366x1156px
Friendly Reminder to abandon Academia and obtaining a Humanities degree in favour of self-eduction.
>>
>>2225051
So many friends my age (late 20s) are finally realizing the hard truth that they won't have a career in academia. Too many grad students, and not enough faculty positions. Now they've spent their entire lives in education and know nothing about the dog eat dog real world.
>>
>>2225082
I'm getting a history degree to become a teacher or professor. How worried should I be?
>>
Honestly, if you wanted to be an autodidact on the level of a university educated history student it would take far more time to come to an understanding of historiography with a broad knowledge of sources in the area of your choice than it would to an equivalent amount of study at university level. Realistically you are only going to be a shallow hobbyist, which is fine, but memesters shouldn't pretend that you can teach yourself to the same level. university history courses are generally very efficient at conveying a number of learning goals needed for the study of history.
>>
>>2225082
Just tell them to look for the silver line in
>>
>>2225113
>Honestly, if you wanted to be an autodidact on the level of a university educated history student it would take far more time to come to an understanding of historiography with a broad knowledge of sources in the area of your choice than it would to an equivalent amount of study at university level.

WRONG.

I knew fourth year level Philosophy at the age of 15 thanks to nurturing parents and self-learning.
>>
>>2225082
>Now they've spent their entire lives in education and know nothing about the dog eat dog real world.

LISTEN UP, WAGEKEKS. READ THIS POST AND WEEP.

NOW IS THE TIME TO INSTITUTE AUTODIDACTISM.
>>
>>2225100
Very. Universities, even shitty ones, are picky as fuck. Tenure is going away. Academia is not an option anymore really.

I had the same idea as you, then I realized law school made more sense.
>>
Properly educating yourself can really be thought of as equivalent to working out. It's something that theoretically any idiot can do, but it takes more effort and discipline than most people have in themselves. Going to university for the humanities is like hiring a personal trainer for your mind, except it costs a quarter of a million dollars if you live in the U.S.
>>
>>2225100
Professor, kek no chance. Forget all about that. Teacher yeah, there's a teacher shortage already and it's only gonna get worse.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.