[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the best books about the Punic Wars? All I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

File: G3UhhuC.png (530KB, 718x862px) Image search: [Google]
G3UhhuC.png
530KB, 718x862px
What are the best books about the Punic Wars?

All I've read are the Wikipedia articles, but not much else.

I'm going to grab the Penguin Classics of Livy's History of Rome, but I also wanted a more contemporary view on the conflicts.

I was thinking about grabbing the Punic Wars by Adrian Goldsworthy, along with his other book The Complete Roman Army.

I was also looking at Carthage Must Be Destroyed: The Rise and Fall of an Ancient Civilization by Richard Miles.

Will these books be able to give me a comprehensive understanding of The Punic Wars?

Also, Rome general thread, I guess.
>>
Carthage Must be Destroyed gives a great account of the wars. As the author himself says, pretty much everything we know about the Carthaginians, outside of archaeological remains, was written by the Romans, so a good 75ish percent of the book is a very detailed account of the Punic Wars.
>>
>>2219578
this. CMBD is great and Goldworthy's work you mention is also very respected. I think they will indeed give you a comprehensive view but I know of other works that I've posted in previous threads on the punic war if you're interested
>>
File: 1460412074240.png (645KB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1460412074240.png
645KB, 1400x1050px
>>2220223
that sounds great!

Please do tell
>>
Do we actually know what Punic soldiers looked like or how they specifically fought? Seems like any depictions are just generic vaguely Mediterranean hoplite types that seem like the byproduct of a lack of information, nothing that stands out as uniquely Punic the way you could immediately identify a Roman soldier as such for example.
>>
Dan Carlin has a decent introductory podcast on it. Punic Nightmare, 3 parts.
>>
>>2220373

They used a lot of different peoples, mercenaries.
>>
>>2220388
Yeah, I'm doing some reading. Seems like it really was largely just a hodgepodge of whoever was willing to fight for their gold without a strong set military tradition of their own like Rome had. I guess the vague generic depictions are accurate.
>>
>>2220413
Bishop, M. C., and Jon C. N. Coulston. Roman Military Equipment from the Punic Wars to the Fall of Rome. 2d ed. Oxford: Oxbow, 2006.
>Excellent study of military artifacts; among its riches are military standards, musical instruments, and various forms of armor. Ample bibliography.

Daly, G. Cannae: The Experience of Battle in the Second Punic War. London: Routledge, 2002.
>Daly describes the lead-up to the infamous battle, traditional scholarly interpretations about the course of events, and the critical interpretation of our primary sources (especially Polybius).

Richardson, John S. Hispaniae: Spain and the Development of Roman Imperialism, 218–82 BC. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 1986.
>Careful study of Rome’s Spanish provinciae (with detail on that word’s use over time) and the several campaigns there; relevant to the Second Punic War, early Roman imperialism (where Richardson sees aggressive, defensive, and economic motives all at play), and Roman military history in general during the Middle Republic.

Fronda, M. P. 2010. Between Rome and Carthage: Southern Italy during the Second Punic War. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge Univ. Press.
>A salutary corrective to sweeping generalizations about Roman imperialism, demonstrating that in Italy during the Hannibalic War, individual communities’ policy decisions played an important role.

Feig Vishnia, R. 1996. State, society, and popular leaders in mid-Republican Rome, 241–167 B.C. London: Routledge.
>Focuses primarily on aristocratic competition following the First Punic War (264–241 BCE).
>>
>>2220468
wooops meant for
>>2220311
>>
>>2220470
>>
>>2220471
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.