[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Ancient Rome/Greece really as great as it is often portrayed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: Rome_59ef74_5941680.jpg (137KB, 900x812px) Image search: [Google]
Rome_59ef74_5941680.jpg
137KB, 900x812px
Was Ancient Rome/Greece really as great as it is often portrayed?

It seems magnificent and such, but I know much of the world was backwards as fuck back then. Would it be more peaceful living in these two historical places or say Kabul, Afghanistan in the present day?

Pic unrelated
>>
it being backwards as fuck makes the conquest more impressive

no cars, no guns, just marching on foot BTFOing everyone you come across
>>
>>2210696

Ancient Greece was good in some aspects but
a lot of the time suffered from severe economic
malaise (to the point where educated Greeks would actually sell themselves into slavery to the Romans since it was a better life for them) and near-eternal war between supporters of democracy and tyrants, not counting people
trying to invade them or them invading other
people. I mean, it wasn't all bad, but I would
not call Greece "peaceful" by any means.

Rome was a bit better depending on the time period we're talking about, but also suffered its own period of civil wars/unrest. Middle class and upper class Romans probably lived better than Greeks did, and depending on where you lived and what your profession was, lower class Romans probably lived better than most people of the time.

Overall I would say that your average citizen was still far safer in Greece/Rome assuming you didn't involve yourself too much with politics than Kabul.
>>
Romans certainly had practices that would make us regard them as barbarous goat fuckers. I'm not even talking about shit like the mass crucifictions which is obvious, but it was entirely within the rights of a head of a household to commit infanticide against his children or grandchildren.
>>
>>2210767
Thanks, that last sentence reminded me

Is political assassination just a meme or did it happen a fuckton?
>>2210776
Shit that sounds fucked in the head
>>
File: IMG_1840.jpg (230KB, 432x889px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1840.jpg
230KB, 432x889px
>>2210696
I identify as a Holy Roman Emperor
>>
>>2210776
We live in a age that women Mass kill their Kiss because stupid reason, I would say that the romans were a little better and with better motive
>>
>>2210794
I mean Children, sorry
>>
>>2210780

Outright political killings were very rare during the early to mid-Republic, soldiers were not even allowed to carry arms within the territory of Rome itself, hence why Senators were guarded by lictors. This began to go to hell with the killing of the Gracchi brothers and spiraled from then on with Sulla and Marius, cooled down a bit until Caesar v Pompey and then became a clusterfuck until the end of the Republic with Augustus. During the Empire, it sort of depended upon the political circumstances and who was ruling at the time.
>>
Because it was far better than what life was like after.
Let's compare Roman Europe to Dark Age Europe.
>Population decreased
>Cities are much smaller
>Literacy had fallen
>Educated did too
>A lot of knowledge was lost including architecture and medicine so buildings weren't as impressive and people died more
Dark ages are a shitty time to be alive.
The original Romans were right to kill all Christcucks before they ruin everything.
>>
>>2210696
what about intersex conditions?
>>
>>2210853
See>>2210784
>>
>>2210776
>but it was entirely within the rights of a head of a household to commit infanticide against his children or grandchildren.

Not so different from abortion
Future generations (after islam takes over Europe) will look at us as barbarians too
>>
File: China Police 1.jpg (71KB, 629x354px) Image search: [Google]
China Police 1.jpg
71KB, 629x354px
>>2211056

>Implying a future where Islam beats the Chinese

Wew lad!
>>
>>2210696
Nowhere in the ancient world is great by a modern person's standards. They were pretty backwards in a lot of ways.
>>
>>2210780
>Shit that sounds fucked in the head
what you need to understand for context is that since infant mortality was so high back then you weren't really considered a person until you were 1 year old or so, so just killing off a kid wasn't really considered too different from getting an abortion today. Not something you'd really want to just go and do, but if you feel you have to do it it's allowed.
>>
>>2210696
I'm sure bribing local officials to not have them fuck you over in some way was common place back then, just like it is in modern third world countries.
>>
File: Abortion statistics.jpg (34KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
Abortion statistics.jpg
34KB, 750x750px
>>2210776
>commit infanticide against his children
So, like today?
>>
>>2210696
the work day was 5 hours and food and sports games were free

pretty great for being pre industrial
>>
>>2210848
~350-700 were a shitty time, sure, but after many agricultural innovations a commoner's quality to life was pretty good in the middle ages.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.