[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Figured this is more a philosophy question than anything else.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (58KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 500x400px
Figured this is more a philosophy question than anything else. In video games, why is killing people and violence is ok, but sex and nudity is still controversial?
>>
>>2198909

Americans.
>>
>>2198909
'murican values. You're not suppose to enjoy yourself when you can join the army and die for some rich fuck instead,
>>
Because children would fuck each other if they see video game characters doing this.
>>
American puritanism, it is one thing about our country that I truly hate.
>>
i think its more than just 'Murica Morality.

Violence for violence's sake is usually frowned upon as well. Violence is usually regarded as okay if its instrumental, ie done for some other purpose, especially if said purpose lines up with some other form of morality. Killing nazis, for instance, is okay, but even then you can make people uncomfortable if you enjoy killing / torturing / inflicting violence upon Nazis for its own sake, such as in Inglorious Bastards.

Sex, meanwhile, is never instrumental. I mean, you can construe it as instrumental (FUCK ME TO STOP MY VAGINA NUKE) but nobody will really buy into that so much.

There is definitely a puritan aspect going on, but its also this sort of idea that a bit of art or an action needs to have meaning or something. Fucking in art is seen as just being there to titillate so its judged harshly.
>>
Ask your dad
>>
>>2198909
Americans. It bleeds over into my country (Australia) and it's very annoying.
>>
>>2198909
American """"""""values"""""""""
>>
>>2198909
Its literally just american morality bleeding into the rest of the world
>>
>>2198909
It's mostly related to moral watchdog groups policing anything that might end up in front of their children. Video Games are regarded as toys both by many Americans and by many retailers, and American sexuality being what it is they would rather explain violence to their children (or let the ample amount of movies and TV explain it for them) than have to explain sexuality.
>>
>>2199006
>Sex, meanwhile, is never instrumental.
>how is babby formed
>>
>>2199286
yeah i remembered that. and, tbf, games that do get away with sexual acts are ones where its needed due to something instrumental, ie The Sims.

im not claiming its 100% due to the instrumental/recreational divide, i'm just saying its a component of the answer, which includes "amurica thinks sex is gross"
>>
>>2199294
Yeh i get your meaning. Why is it that this 'recreational' aspect is frowned upon compared to violences instrumentallity? Why is it fine for me to go around in a game killing whom ever i please, yet i cant go around raping in the same regard?
>>
>>2198909
Sex has always been a private thing, something behind closed doors. Violence, meanwhile, was always out in the open: wars were common, basically everybody had experience killing animals, and executions were public events. However, the second half of the twentieth century flipped that all on its head, especially in Europe. This, combined with an increase in godlessness (either athiestic or merely religious apathy) which created an atmosphere of loser morals and modesty in Europe (but not the US so much) meant that violence was anethema, while sexuality and nudity not so much. Germany has particularly harsh rules against video game violence for this reason.
>>
>>2199306
It would seem that killing is more of a universal fantasy, impersonal most of the time with bullets to the head. Whereas rape is far more intimate, traumatic, and anyone who enjoyed a "rape mechanic" in a game would get questionable looks from his peers at the very least.

It's easy to make killing a bad guy heroic, but there's no positive context to rape whatsoever.
>>
>>2199326
Okay, lets try this. So perhaps rape has an intrinsic torturous aspect to it where as your typical video violence amd killing doesn't. But, what if we include torture? So what is worse now of the three?
>>
>>2199306
I borrowed the terminology from drug categorization, where you get the same kind of weird discrepancy. Medical Cannabis is good, but just smoking weed for funsies is seen as super bad. With drugs, I think it comes from the "puritan work ethic", where recreation itself is seen as wasteful and that work itself was a virtue regardless of necessity.

Like I said, violence gets demonized as well when its done "for pleasure". You see heroes in media use violence all the time, but you never really see them go "I just really like hurting people" without getting moral guardians up in arms.

Why sex is so demonized overall, tho, yeah its just arbitrary cultural baggage. With games it tends to come up mostly because "game == for kids" and if children learn that penis goes in vagina they'll turn into satanist teen pregnant sluts or some shit.
>>
>>2198909
puritanism and religion of flowers
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.