[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was reading a few old folkloric tales, mostly Eastern European,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: hmm.jpg (17KB, 408x286px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
17KB, 408x286px
I was reading a few old folkloric tales, mostly Eastern European, and a bunch of them have people visiting taverns, and one thing struck me. At least in none of these stories, would you order food the way you did at a restaurant. You go in, the host puts down something in front of you, you eat it, you pay, end of story. What you got was whatever the guy felt like making that evening.

I was just wondering if anyone had something more official or well researched than a bunch of old stories about the ordering habits and whatnot of eating out back in the day. Can anyone recommend anything?
>>
>>2189633
I mean I don't have anything official but in rural NC, where I grew up there were some BBQ places like this. There weren't too many choices, just what the owner felt like cooking that day and the place closed down when he ran out of pork for the day/felt like it. Those places have the best BBQ I tell you what
>>
>>2189633
>If customer looks like he has money bring him food. Why else would he come in?
>If he does not, kick him out
>>
>>2189743
>There weren't too many choices, just what the owner felt like cooking that day and the place closed down when he ran out of pork for the day/felt like it.
There's out a rancho that sells bbq out where I live; you go pay for how many buckets you want and the dude would bring you hot metal buckets of bbq'd pork, sausage, baked beans and corn bread. Best food I've had in my life.
>>
>>2189633
I'm no historian nor haven't read any source on this but i will use common sense.
First of all, there is no refrigeration and that means nothing from far away and nothing in stock.
Also globalization is almost null, so the cook would simply know to make what it's done in the region, no sushi in russia and no gorsch in japan.
Because of that too, the variety is much lower too, things like tomatoes, potatoes and corn didn't exist in medieval europe (mostly brought during the reinaissence from america) and everything would be the "local variant" of the food (an apple from toledo probably was considerably different from an apple from york)

Given this, probably the places that sold food (i doubt that would be the only thing they sold) would have someone (not necesarily just a cook) to prepare a simple meal that everyone can eat and pay with the food of the village. If it were a sea or fish-rich town, there would be probably a lot of fish as it's an almost steady source of food. In an inland town, meat would not be very regular as it would be tied to the rythm the local cattle/pig/etc breeder can supply grown and fattened animals. Bigger towns or cities would be much more diverse as the surrounding producers would benefit from selling their products there, giving the cities more frequency to "scarce" things like meat and diversity on products.

Another thing to keep in mind is that for the time a lot of eating behaviours we have today that "forces" restaurants to ask you what you want haven't appeared yet. things like vegetarians, gluten-free, low-fat diets. Even certain "disgust" some people have for certain meals that develop because they simply know a lot of food that tastes much better to them, when your diet is pretty simple your body probably feel better eating "untasty food" than starving.

One last thing is that as things like vitamins and nutrients in general are pretty modern, people didn't bother in having "diverse" diets.
>>
I saw a documentary about Rome a while back, and they said most of the time this is how people ate.

There wasn't space nor a designated room for their "kitchens" so they didn't prepare nor eat anything at home and instead went out in public to do so.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.