[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am an undergrad history student and I'm supposed to write

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: empire_0.jpg (241KB, 750x558px) Image search: [Google]
empire_0.jpg
241KB, 750x558px
I am an undergrad history student and I'm supposed to write a research paper on the topic 'Imperial trends in historiography'. I have never written a research paper before and my professor is a complete ass who is of no help at all. Can anyone suggest some sources I could use?
p.s. I'm not looking to get someone to do my assignment. I just need some guidance on how to go about it from anyone who has experience.
>>
>>2186405
you should mention the jews
ask on /pol/ for advice on that
>>
Hope you fail, fucktard.
>>
File: owen jones.png (183KB, 650x397px) Image search: [Google]
owen jones.png
183KB, 650x397px
>>2187808
>>
A good hypothesis would be the discord between the truth and biases.

Looking at both the biases of pro and anti imperialism would be the natural next step, but if your professor is neurotic I expect he will want you to follow the prevailig opinion and focus on how historians of the past had a bias in favor of imperialism.

Next step is to gather sources and look at standards of proof and evidence. Ironically you have to apply these standards both to yourself and the subjects you are examining.

You may also have to stick to a particular event in history, one which we know a lot about. Then compare how the facts of this event compare to their interpretation by various historians and commentators at the time. This will cut down on the workload.

Again I expect your professor will want you to examine some of the historians he mentioned, though you should also find at least one other interesting examples since this is a proper research paper not an essay.

Finally you have to blend the analysis into a conclusion. Making sure you maintain the standards you set yourself, avoiding confirmation bias and so forth. Your conclusion should answer the initial hypothesis and the title of your paper.
>>
That sounds like a really fucking boring topic.
>>
>>2186405
>takes an upper division history course
>without ever having written a research paper before
>as a /his/ major
What shitty fucking school do you go to?
>>
>>2186405
Focus on British imperialism in India.

Contrast the academic stances from pre-WWI with today, then contrast the "popular" conception of imperialism pre-WWI with today.
>>
>>2188468
This pretty much
>Pre ww1
White mans burden. Go Empire!
>modern opinions
Empires are bad mkay
>>
>>2186405
>'Imperial trends in historiography'
Does this only refer to the British empire? Is there more information?
>>
>>2187919
>>2188468
>>2188504
Thanks
>>
>>2188453
Trust me, it is a shitty fucking school.
>>
>>2190706
No it doesn't have to be just the British empire. But I was planning on focusing on that.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.