[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did Diogenes actually contribute anything of value to philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

Did Diogenes actually contribute anything of value to philosophy or is he only remembered for his zany biography?
>>
he was the first irl shitposter
>>
Did you really need to start up a new thread for this?
>>
>>2184490
Where else would I post it?
>>
>>2184504

How about one of the threads on philosophy? Or Greeks? This board really needs a thread for questions that don't deserve their own thread.
>>
>>2184526
autist. philosophy doesn't need to be confined to a single thread
>>
>>2184536

True, but there's no need for a thread asking one simple question that will die in under 20 posts.
>>
>>2184526
I thought /his/ policy discouraged generals.
>>
He made plato his bitch. That counts for something.
>>
>>2184570

QTDDTOT could be useful.
>>
File: 1465530852106.jpg (1MB, 1800x1322px) Image search: [Google]
1465530852106.jpg
1MB, 1800x1322px
>>2184479
>>
>>2184543

Do you think there's a limited number of threads allowed per day or something?
>>
>>2184637
Have you ever been on one of the faste boards? They are full with shitty one line threads because everybody thinks like this, killing high quality posts since quantity beats quality on image boards.
>>
>>2184637

It just results in a shit board if every question gets its own thread and then dies after a handful of responses.
>>
>>2184479
He is an entertaining one, but like most Greek philosophy the school he created died out a while ago. However, what was the school of cynicism has evolved into what we know of cynicism today. So he did contribute something, but as with all philosophy, it's worth is determined by individuals.
>>
>>2184570
It should be the policy of every board to discourage generals because they are cancer and defeat the purpose of an image board.
>>
>>2184656
I second this
>>
>>2184656
Can you explain Greek cynicism to me? What exactly did cynics believe? How did it compare to the schools of Plato and Aristotle? How popular was it, and why did it die out? Finally what influence did the cynics leave on Western civilization?
>>
>>2185446
It would be really difficult, for instance, to discuss sci-fi on /lit/ without /sffg/. They serve a purpose.
>>
Hes a funny bloke
>>
>>2185484
Cynicism was more or less the rejection of most aspects of society in order to live a life more in line with what nature had for us, which to them was clearing the smoke of society out of their eyes and allowed them to better understand complex topics like human nature and the meaning of life, because they saw it in it's barest form, devoid of societal influence/corruption.

It was always a less popular school than both, given the type of commitment you have to make for it. When stoicism came around, it basically died out until it's revival in Rome.

Past the fall of Rome, Christians adopted it in order to better understand the message of Jesus, and to ensure the salvation of others by making sure that they were on the right path. Past that, I can't say, but it has eventually became the definition that we know it by today, that being "an inclination to believe that people are motivated purely by self-interest; skepticism." So it is hard to say what happened down the line, unless an anon has a source that can explain what happened.
>>
>>2186439
Thanks.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.