[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it so difficult to change one's life? It seems like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1444420409993.jpg (42KB, 316x311px) Image search: [Google]
1444420409993.jpg
42KB, 316x311px
Why is it so difficult to change one's life? It seems like the human brain actively tries to sabotage your own progress in life. This is such a widespread phenomenon.
>>
>>2167128
>It seems like the human brain actively tries to sabotage your own progress in life.

In other words, "I'm weak."

Should have just said.
>>
>>2167134
I'm as weak as any human. I don't have delusions of grandeur.
>>
>>2167128
Read "Will to power"
>>
>>2167128
You're just a weak willed faggot
>>
>>2167162
Brilliant level of discourse
>>
"If you try and go against reality, reality will surely crush you. Reality will kill you, and reality will continue to go on as if nothing ever happened... From yesterday to today, from today to tomorrow, reality marches on, leaving your crushed body behind."
>>
>>2167128
>>2167134
>>2167141
>>2167142
>>2167162
>>2167189
>>2167199
>ITT: retards
It all comes down to your habits.
Read the book on habit formation and how to create new habits and disrupt the old. Willpower alone doesn't do jack fucking shit
>>
>>2167205
Except one must exert their will to form those habits in the first place.

Retard!
>>
File: 1480305807971.jpg (359KB, 2555x1373px) Image search: [Google]
1480305807971.jpg
359KB, 2555x1373px
Because the older parts of your brain are more powerful than the newer parts. You don't really get to control your heat rate, or whether you feel hunger. Depending on your attitude towards consciousness it seems like the older, faster parts of the brain can make a decision before your newer, slower parts of the brain have time to "ponder it out". Then the newer part , a bit confused, attempts to rationalize the "choice" you made when in reality "you" didn't make much of a choice at all.
>>
File: Power of Habit.jpg (130KB, 819x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Power of Habit.jpg
130KB, 819x1024px
>>2167205
I've read that book and it's incredibly stupid:

>start a new habit!
>you must reward yourself for it!
>doesn't mention how to reward yourself except for "use a piece of chocolate!"
>have like 8 major bad habits to change
>"just use chocolate"
>okay, what next?
>umm, how about exercise? exercise feels good after you do it, so it's a reward!
>yeah except exercise is a habit you NEED to create in the first place
>okay let's see, how about petting your dog? It could work as a reward for a new habit!
>yeah I already do that a lot, now I'm supposed to do it less?
>obviously, just use limited willpower to limit yourself from a reward so you can use even more willpower to create a new habit, good luck!
>are you kidding me, that's your answer?
>okay how about fucking cocaine then, if that doesn't work you're the problem!
>thanks for buying my book!
>>
>>2167128
You see m8. Unlike what tv, school, your parents or the American dream tells you most people are from their birth destined to get fucked (born as a member of financially less well off class of people, losing the genetic lottery, etc.), there is no point to struggle against it so either learn to live with it or take the cowards way out and blow your brains out.
>>
If it were easy to change you would have done it by now.

Humans have innate instincts. These are then reinforced by your life experiences and you associate these instincts with sensory stimuli. For instance walking to get a glass of water when you are thirsty.

So, like a machine you follow these solutions to avoid pain and gain pleasure. Often it is easier to follow the old solutions which have become deeply engrained, especially if there is short term gain.

A lot has been said about putting off short term gain for long term gain, maybe some people just have superior willpower and can go out into the freezing cold barechested to flex in the snow while your mother peers through a window schlicking and you're being a fat useless fuck in your basement playing video games or whatever.

However I think part of it is they developed good habits and these became deeply engrained, often due to having the right experiences in life.

There are no simple easy tricks like in this book >>2167322 . To get out of bad habits requires a long time edging yourself into the colder good habits slowly at your level of pain tolerance until you get used to it. Remember that if you are smart and choose to get into the right habits the long term benefits will come around eventually and you will get used to it.

I suppose you can also pep yourself up, use operant conditioning and mind games to fool yourself into doing things.
>>
>>2167391
What if the problem with changing habits isn't pain tolerance but rather things like depression, or some mysterious resistance your mind puts up against progress? I'm starting to believe that depression really is a disease. It's so stubborn and unrelenting and keeps you stuck in your situation without wanting to change.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.