[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what's the actual point of learning dead languages like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4073.jpg (193KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4073.jpg
193KB, 1024x768px
So what's the actual point of learning dead languages like Latin as opposed to modern languages in schools? Unless you're studying history or classics in university, it seems like a bunch of pointless antiquarianism and generally a waste of time when it comes to children.
>>
>>2166729
Italian here

You can't say you fully understand Italian if you don't know Latin. And Italian is pretty much alive right now
>>
Another italian here,i don't agree with the other italian,because,while,yes, latin gives you a deeper understanding of italian in some ways, i don't think this deeper level is in any way useful. My take on the usefulness of teaching latin(which i don't really agree with, but i think does make sense), is that it lets people discover latin litterature, which is pretty important unless your idea of school is just getting kids ready for everyday life.
>>
it´s helpful if you´re studying law or history
>>
>>2166729

If you learn Latin first it'll make learning French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, etc. easier. Also lots of important historical texts were written in Latin even after it became a "dead" language. Also, the practice of learning a language isn't only for being able to communicate in that language with other people. It's good to have some familiarity with how other languages work just as a basic part of your general education in the same way it's good to know some history and mathematics even if you aren't going to be a historian and don't use calculus in your day job.
>>
>>2168070
This.

On a larger scale, language frames communication, which frames connection, which is grounded in humanities. Understanding your background—as historians and linguists alike convey—gives humanity a timely sense of identity.

Why learn history, OP? It all happened in the past, anyways, so it's dead. What's the point in reading into dead stuff, that shit's only if you're a historian.
>>
>>2168101
>Learning Latin so you can learn French
Why not just learn French?
>>
>>2168090
>while,yes, latin gives you a deeper understanding of italian in some ways, i don't think this deeper level is in any way useful
Never said it was
Still, you can't claim you deeply understand Italian without knowing it

Thing is, why would you even want to understand a language on that level
Why Italian
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.