[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is misinformation so persistent? Especially in the historical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: hmm.jpg (17KB, 408x286px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
17KB, 408x286px
Why is misinformation so persistent? Especially in the historical context? There's a tremendous amount of things that are quite simply wrong that millions of people believe fervently. I mostly look into military history (pleb, I know), and it's astoundingly common there, but I'm willing to bet that every branch of history has similar problems.

Some of it is an emotional investment in misapprehensions, the WE WUZING and the "my country is the best", but a lot of the shit floating around out there defies such a simple explanation, like misunderstandings about how medieval to renaissance weapons and armor worked, which I doubt anyone would get worked up over.

So why is it that correct information isn't displacing incorrect information?
>>
>>2166201
Memes. Dead serious. Once the contagious thought gets into the populace, it's almost impossible to counteract it without direct evidence otherwise.
>>
>>2166201
such as?
>>
>>2166201
Lack of skepticism. Belief is a force of will to many people, the truth isn't sought. If you don't take the time to question things you're told, you'll believe whatever falls in line with your pre-conceived notions.
>>
>>2166201
Because of bad education. And these badly educated people don't know they were given a bad education, and don't think there's anything wrong with their knowledge, so they don't feel a need to double check.

>>2166248
>Napoleon was shirt
>Caesar was an emperor
>Columbus did nothing wrong
>Washington was a great general
>Roman Empire fell in 5 century
>"Dark Ages"
And so on and so on
>>
>>2166269
>Roman Empire fell in 5 century

lol

>"Dark Ages"

In comparison to pre-barbarians, those Germanics not only had nothing going on they also built ugly ass structures and ruined the cool Gallo-Roman, Hispano-Roman, and Roman shit going on in France, Spain, and Italy respectively. Fuck that.

Went from aesthetic as fuck to ugly shitholes in a matter of decades. Fuck that Gothic shit and fuck that Frankish shit (WE WUZ ROMANS). I shit out prettier churches daily
>>
Combination of government propaganda and parents making up answers when their kids ask historical questions.
>>
>>2166269
There was a dark age, it was dark in the sense of it lacking a lot of written records.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.