[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's bad about making moral judgements about historical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1460983252650.jpg (69KB, 500x518px) Image search: [Google]
1460983252650.jpg
69KB, 500x518px
What's bad about making moral judgements about historical figures?

I don't mean when you let it warp the facts of history, but people seem to be adverse to the idea of holding up historical figures to a moral standard.
>>
>>2163625

And what exactly does it accomplish? It certainly doesn't explain their actions, as it would be bizarre in the extreme to assume that they would act according to a moral code that they themselves would not be familiar with and would not have practiced.

All it really lets you do is assert that your own code of morality is superior and thus allowing you a cheap sense of mastery over a long dead person who isn't there to defend himself or herself.
>>
>>2163625

A pointless and futile exercise in judgement which adds nothing to the study of characters or events in history.
>>
>>2163625
Because moral standards are relative. Things that we consider bad today might not have been considered bad in the past, and vice versa. Calling a certain king evil because he waged a war and conquered some land is just stupid and privileged. It was what literally everyone did, and if you didn't engage in it, then you would die, and that some guy 1000 years later thought that it was brave or whatever that you let yourself be killed is no consolation.
>>
>>2163625
Because it makes no sense.
History is supposed to deal with facts, not whether a historical figure hurts your 2016 feelings.
>>
>>2163625
>people seem to be adverse to the idea of holding up historical figures to a moral standard.
because every time it's been done before in the past it hasn't worked

you just call them pagans, rapists or whatever and then next century whoops it turns out that you were a racist or something
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.