[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naP UYTKEMc8 Was Sparta the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naPUYTKEMc8

Was Sparta the bad guy, and Persia the real "modern" model state?
>>
In RL history, Sparta is completely the bad guy in every sense of the word

but that doesn't necessarily mean Persia is the good guys, being the antagonists of the western world until they experienced the roach infestation.
>>
>>2154812
I'm not going to watch five minutes of a nu-male teenager wheezing at me, but I'm going to guess that he complains about helot slavery. If some helots had to die to protect Athens and Socrates, Hippocrates, and Herodotus then so be it.
>>
>>2156230
Nigga Athens fell in that war. They didn't protect shit.
And in the next war, they were the ones invading Athens.

Sparta is an enemy to the western style of governance, and almost destroyed it.
>>
>>2154812
>"modern" model state
But that's France.

HOLY SHIT THIS FUCKING DUDE
Constantly looking at things from a contemporary perspective.
>describes an ancient empire with the word multiculturalism
Fuck off
>oh yeah, Athenian democracy was limited to landowning adult males
As the first democracy aside for small tribes practicing primitive communism i think it did pretty well.

>bashing Sparta for having slaves
Spartan slaves had more freedom than other contemporary slaves. Which is why they organized killing them just so they don't rebel and overthrow Sparta.

>using the republic of macedonia as macedonia
Please.............

Also, one look at the comments and i see Albanians.........
>>
>>2157270
>Spartan slaves had more freedom than other contemporary slaves!
>But they weren't entitled to their lives.

The right to live is a pretty essential right to have.
>>
>>2154812
The portrayal of the Persians was through the narration of a blind Spartan who survived Thermopylae in the movie though... It was never meant to be accurate and the Persians were demonized and made to look like inhuman monsters on purpose.
>>
File: tot.jpg (48KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
tot.jpg
48KB, 800x800px
>people define the entire Classical period and Greeco-Persian relations by one Hollywood blockbuster based on a comic that was written by a guy that blames Iran for 9/11 disregarding the aftermath followed by the invasion which led up to the Pelenopesia and Corinthian wars or how Sparta would do a similar "last stand" against the Macedonians in favor of Persia during Megalopolis
Is there a word for these kind of people?
>>
>>2157443
A phrase, rather. We call them "objectively correct".
>>
File: agis iii.jpg (143KB, 1714x360px) Image search: [Google]
agis iii.jpg
143KB, 1714x360px
>>2157443
Whats with spartans and Hollywood tier deaths?
Nigga just let someone carry you and keep fighting next month.
>>
>>2157207
>Sparta is an enemy to the western style of governance, and almost destroyed it.

Because the Athenians were being greedy little shits and trying to conquer the rest of Greece.
>>
The greeks were funding and supplying rebels in Ionian greek city states. The Persians were reacting in a way that any nation would have.

Sparta is a city state that sounds cool in theory but really contributed little to western civilization. It also highlights the dangers that a purely martial and fiercely conservative society will fall just as easily as a democracy.
>>
>>2157529
They were also being greedy little shits and trying to conquer Anatolia. Hence the Greco-Persian wars
>>
>>2157585
They really were the baddest of dudes.
>>
>>2157270
>Spartan slaves had more freedom than other contemporary slaves. Which is why they organized killing them just so they don't rebel and overthrow Sparta.
Yeah, sounds like they had it pretty good.
>>
It wouldn't matter if Persia conquered Greece, they already razed Athens to the ground once and they bounced back because Greece was best positioned to dominate trade in the northern Mediterranean at the time.
>>
>>2157458
they believed that if you came back from a lost battle you were a fleeing coward

>>2157443
oxygen-wasters
>>
>>2157905
>they believed that if you came back from a lost battle you were a fleeing coward

Yet 80% of the army came back from that lost battle.
Every time they lost, more than 50% of the men came back.
>>
>>2157443
these people don't exist, no one takes the 300 seriously except liberals who like to pretend it proves they are living under a fascist state that gives them affirmative action and welfare checks
>>
>>2157587
Macedonians were badder
>>
>>2157443
>>2157933
even after that it's based on Herodotus's wanking

Aristotle gets shit but he gets a pass for being wrong about everything
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.