[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /his/, I've heard that during the Black Death that bandits

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1408.jpg (15KB, 196x250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1408.jpg
15KB, 196x250px
Hey /his/, I've heard that during the Black Death that bandits and such would inhabit the castles of lords that had died of the plague. Is this true? Can i get some recs for books that deal with the Black Death and how it affected society? I'm thinking about writing a novel set in the time period and wanted to do some research beforehand.
>>
Desperation bumperino
>>
That sounds awesome. Just imagine stumbling across a sickened kingdom, briefly becoming king with your bandit band before succumbing to the illness yourself.
>>
>>2147907
Ye that's the idea of the story, a group of highwaymen move into a motte and bailey after the lord dies, wreak havoc on the populace of the area
>>
>>2147436
>move into a property whose landowners all died by the plague
>meaning their entire family did since it would have been inherited otherwise
>meaning the majority of the inhabitants died
>corpses have been dumped en masse wherever it wouldn't contaminate the water (or did it?)

I've seen better places to live.

Besides, what's the point of living a castle if you have no servants here to cook and clean for you? Are your fellow bandits really willing to become chamber maids? How are you going to find food?
>>
>>2147990

>family at the castle dies
>next of kin lives months and months away
>passage is made even harder for messenger since everyone is paranoid about plaguebearers
>messenger might not even make it there
>next of kin might be dead of plague too
>same difficulties apply on the way back
>castle is being handled by captain of the guard and the staff
>bandits find this out
>move in and take control
>all current systems work for them now
>>
>>2148026
>captain of guard can handle bandits when lord is alive
>magically bends over and accepts bandit when lord dies
You fucking retard. Even if the bandits could win, if they expect more than 10 ir 20% deaths they wouldn't do it.

This thread should watch the movie Flesh and Blood with Rutger Hauer, this is basically half the story. But cooler.
>>
>>2148090
I don't see how it's too unlikely that literally EVERYONE in the castle either dies or gtfo's when shit starts to go from bad to worse
Plus I was imagining that the castle would be a very small Norman motte and bailey and wouldn't have many residents in the first place
>>
>>2148095
You (if that is you) yourself said that it's being handled by the captain of the guard and staff.... It's easy to defend even a motte and bailey, with a dozen or two people, from fifty or so.
>>
>>2148090

Yeah dude the bandits are just gonna walk up and tell him to get out that's literally what I was imagining when I wrote that.
>>
>>2148120
Nah that wasn't me, I'm OP
And that's good to know, I was planning on having the group of robbers and brigands be about a dozen or so strong
>>
>>2148129
Yeah that's retarded, why would you ever think that?

>>2148134
No problem. Again I say, watch that movie. Depicts this exact situation with a great framing story, and is a great movie besides.

And yes, 12 is more manageable than 50 or so. I'd have everyone dead.
>>
>>2147436
Decameron nigger.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.