[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Couldn't the German line of defense have won this through

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: Approaching_Omaha.jpg (1MB, 3000x2147px) Image search: [Google]
Approaching_Omaha.jpg
1MB, 3000x2147px
Couldn't the German line of defense have won this through simple chemical warfare?
>>
>>2142036
No.
>>
>>2142036
What do you mean by simple chemical warfare? Sheeling the see with chlorine?
>>
>>2142037

Thanks for contributing.

Allied infantry was critical to it.
>>
>>2142043

Shelling the beaches with sulfur mustard.
>>
>>2142036

Almost certainly not. How are they going to accurately deliver the gas ordinance where and when it was needed? The Germans didn't exactly know where and when Overlord would happen.

And it's also not like the Allies didn't make basic preparations for chemical warfare.
>>
>>2142049
[critical fail]: Wind blew it against German bunkers.
>>
One thing I don't get. Why didn't the allies just shell those bunkers before the landings?
>>
>>2142078

With the artillery that they needed to land before shelling anything?

They did bombard the castal fortifications before landing, with naval and air forces, but bombardment is never 100% effective. One of the reasons Utah beach was as messy as it was is the bombardment didn't neutralize the bunkers and pock-marked the LZ enough that it was difficult to move around.
>>
>>2142106

Omaha, not Utah. I don't know why the hell I wrote Utah.
>>
>>2142036
Wind?
>>
>>2142106
>With the artillery that they needed to land before shelling anything?

What are battleships?
>>
>>2142243

Not particularly used for shore bombardment in Europe. Most bombardment from naval vessels was done by the lighter cruisers, which with their shallower drafts, could get closer to target.

Furthermore, did you read the literally second line of my post?

>They did bombard the castal fortifications before landing, with naval and air forces,

http://www.dday-overlord.com/eng/us_navy_battleships.htm

http://www.dday-overlord.com/eng/royal_navy_main_battleships.htm

http://www.dday-overlord.com/eng/free_france_battleships.htm
>>
>>2142276

They couldn't have done anymore of it?
>>
>>2142036
Maybe.

But since the skies belonged to the Allies in 1944, they would have reaped the whirlwind of such an action.
>>
>>2142287

Not without delaying things. And the longer your bombardment goes on, the more you telegraph to your enemy that you're attacking here, and the tougher they harden their defenses as troops that were guarding other areas that you might have attacked instead start drifting in.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure at least part of the Omaha problems were because of bad intel which both affected the bombardment and caused them to overstate its effectiveness.
>>
>>2142036
Nobody wanted to open the can of worms that is chemical warfare - not even Hitler.
>>
>>2142367

But outside of the battlefield, Zyklon-B.
>>
Germany never used chemical weapons during the war. Adolf Hitler declared that his forces would never used any kind of chemical agent, and the Allies likewise considered them off-limits, although both sides kept them on hand in case the other used them first. Hitler had personally survived a mustard gas attack in World War I, and his injuries from that are what took him out of that war. Hitler firmly believed that gassing was too horrible to subject anyone to. The Germans refrained from chemical attacks even until Berlin was being overrun. There were some accidents, like when the Allies bombed a barge in Italy that happened to have some chemical weapons on board which then injured some troops I think, but besides that unconventional weapons of mass destruction weren't used, at least on the Western Front.
>>
File: Auschwitz_Poland_06.jpg (147KB, 974x649px) Image search: [Google]
Auschwitz_Poland_06.jpg
147KB, 974x649px
>>2142685
>Hitler firmly believed that gassing was too horrible to subject anyone to.

whut?
>>
>the Heer gasses the troops moving inland on D-Day
>the next week, 30,000 tons of phosgene falls on Cologne
>>
>>2142769
Hmmm well there's another hole in the whole "Holocaust" story.
>>
>>2142685
Other way around, Jerry bombed Bari, allied held port, struck an allied ship carrying mustard gas in case the boxheads decided to start shit.
>>
>>2143042
Right.

The Americans used nukes of course. Do you know if the Japanese ever used chemical/biological weapons? I know the Soviets intentionally used biological weapons on the eastern front once.
>>
>>2142960
>hitler treating jews as people
>>
Hitler also authorised using explosive sniper rounds on the east front but not the west one
>>
File: IMG_0011.jpg (103KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0011.jpg
103KB, 1280x720px
>>2142960
>a hole in holocaust
Geez, we are getting attacked by Reddit Commie board and now /pol/. This is what the Namibia people went through.
>>
>>2142794
Damn, can you imagine Bomber Harris being allowed to use chemical weapons? Germany would just straight cease to exist for the betterment of mankind.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.