[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"What do you do for a living?" >"I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4392.jpg (58KB, 500x396px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4392.jpg
58KB, 500x396px
>"What do you do for a living?"

>"I'm a philosopher"

Is there anything more pretentious than telling someone you are a philosopher?
>>
File: 1461780548099.jpg (923KB, 914x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1461780548099.jpg
923KB, 914x1280px
>>2133797

Yes, scripting hypothetical conversations so you can arbitrate what is and isn't pretentious.
>>
>>2133797

Yes.
>data scientist
>>
>>2133800
THICC
>>
>>2133797
But that's genuinely impressive since basically no one can be a philosopher for a living. Said person probably have a Master and are teaching when not working on his phd.
>>
Not if you are one, kek.

Valuing the esteem of others and being dishonest about yourself is pretentious - it's the pretence of humility.
>>
>>2133797
I'm a philosopher and I'm writing a book about metaphysics.
It is the first model of religion which is logically coherent and it has very strong explanatory power.
It is based on the Perennial Philosophy.
>>
>>2133810

>no one can be a philosopher for a living

What? You literally just have to write philosophy books and you're a philosopher.
>>
>>2133820

>It is the first model of religion which is logically coherent

That's an asinine as fuck claim. What makes you believe every single model of religion in all of history has been logically incoherent?
>>
>>2133827
There are logical inconsistencies in all major religions, unless you dissect the Upanishads from Hinduism or the Gospel from the Bible.
>>
>>2133838

You said "model of religion" first, now you're speaking as though the topic is just "religion." Which is it?
>>
>>2133823
>What? You literally just have to write philosophy books and you're a philosopher.
>on /his/ people think that's easy
Around 0%-1% of people that study philosophy end up staying at the university.
>>
>>2133847

Just because lots of future dropouts gravitate towards philosophy as the easiest, most bullshit friendly major they can pick doesn't make it not easy to write a philosophy book. It's not like there's even an objectively wrong way to write one. Unlike with maths or science it's completely impossible for you to fail at it as long as you actually type words and publish them.
>>
>not telling them you govern men

Platofags get out.
>>
>>2133858
>le philosophy is the easiest major xDDD

Fuck off, you have no idea what you're spouting. Social sciences are plenty easier than studying philosophy, which requires a good knowledge of mathematical logic, Latin, Greek and reading shittons of dense literature.
>>
>>2133894
Well, social sciences are utter bullshit anyway and you shouldn't compare your study to something so idiotic.
>>
I'm a communication and multimedia designer.
I know just as much what that means as you do.
>>
It's more pretentious to pretend you're above the seemingly banal questions concerning everyday life
>>
>>2133927
Wrong. While the social sciences are easier then philosophy, you cannot dismiss any comparison based off of that. Especially since that's literally what the conversation is about.
>>
>>2133823
And how many makes a living writing philosophy?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.