[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should Zambia have stayed Portuguese https://en.wikipedia.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1000px-Mapa_Cor-de-Rosa.svg.png (90KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
1000px-Mapa_Cor-de-Rosa.svg.png
90KB, 1000x500px
Should Zambia have stayed Portuguese

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1890_British_Ultimatum
>>
>>2132436
I'd take Anglo colonialism over Portuguese any day.
>>
>>2132436
Of course not, how else do you build the Cape to Cairo railway?
>>
>>2132448
By arranging a deal with your oldest ally
>>
>>2132454
Yeah just letting the brits have further economic dominantion of Africa?
>>
>>2132436
>stayed Portuguese
>implying it was a portuguese colony to begin with.
Portugal never had any actual outposts in the Zimbabwe-Zambia area. They just coloured in a portion of the map pink and expected everyone else to take them seriously. Which, of course, is fucking stupid: possession is 9/10ths of the law.

Go on, read through the wiki pages of Zambia and Zimbabwe and see how much the Portuguese feature in their history. At best they get one sentence because their explorers charted some of the area, but that's it.

Basic rule of empires: if you want somewhere to be part of your empire you actually have to annex it first. You can't just go around telling everyone 'this is ours now' and expect people to take your claim seriously if you have not, in fact, bothered to go out there and conquer it (or form a treaty with the natives or whatever).
>>
>>2133026
British didn't really do anything there either.

To reply to OP: between one and the other, who cares really. The only difference it would've made is that Mozambique and Angola would be neighbouring countries now.
>>
>>2134168
Cecil Rhodes' company was very active in the area, making treaties with the locals and whatnot. All in the name of Her Majesty, of course.
>>
File: t. map painter pro.jpg (82KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
t. map painter pro.jpg
82KB, 850x400px
>>2135797
How could one man be so based?
>>
>>2135797
I don't think he made much contact with the Zambian tribes.
>>
>>2135825
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zambia#British_South_Africa_Company
>>
File: BritishEmpireRhodes.png (1MB, 591x2068px) Image search: [Google]
BritishEmpireRhodes.png
1MB, 591x2068px
>>2135805
And yet if you ask most British people today about him, they've never heard of him.
>>
>>2135862
You showed me contact with one tribe living near one mine.
There are dozens of tribes in Zambia. Even Portugal didn't make contact will all the tribes in Angola until 1916. I doubt the UK had contact with all of them too.
>>
>>2135906
In the same way that people living 50 years after the fall of Rome in Britain never heard of Caesar.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.