[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I have to read the pre-Socratics or can I just jump straight

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Heraclitus.jpg (42KB, 400x507px) Image search: [Google]
Heraclitus.jpg
42KB, 400x507px
Do I have to read the pre-Socratics or can I just jump straight into Plato?

Also /philosophy/ thread.
>>
The Republic
>>
There's honestly very little from the presocratics. What there is is worth reading though. There's a podcast "The History of Philosophy Without any Gaps" by a philosophy professor that covers the presocratics really well in, like, 10 short podcasts. That would be a good starting point I think.
>>
>>2125771
Gotcha. Fuck everyone before Plato.
>>
Should I read works of philosophers with commentaries and companion books or should I just read it and determine my own interpretation?
>>
>>2125813
It really depends. It's definitely helpful to get input from people whose life it is to study the work, but make sure their single interpretation isn't the only one you read. That's the fun thing about philosophy, especially around ancient philosophy. There's so much context we don't automatically know that having a broader view is really helpful. Like in the Apology (Socrates' defense speech when he's fighting the death penalty) he mentions most of his jury would know him from a comedic play. We actually have the play still (The Clouds by Aristophanes which is actually really funny) and can read that and see what the popular view of Socrates was in his lifetime. As far as Greek philosophy, Epicureanism and Stoicism are both incredibly easy to grasp and enjoy since they were written for the common person. It's important to understand their relation to Socrates, though.
>>
>>2125813
(a. read works first
(b. create opinion of that work
(c. read contemporaries and commentaries to compare and contrast

in that order
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.