[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is political thought in some countries more polarised than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: siezethemeansofproduction.png (387KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
siezethemeansofproduction.png
387KB, 620x350px
Why is political thought in some countries more polarised than in others?
Is there an historic reason behind this?
>>
>>2125369
The size of country and diversity of groups should be the one reason.
>>
Some countries are different than others
>>
File: 74081960[1].jpg (71KB, 594x412px) Image search: [Google]
74081960[1].jpg
71KB, 594x412px
>>2125369
Some systems are more vulnerable to this than others.

>Winner takes it all
>3 alternatives
>X win because Z took votes from Y
>Next election Z don't get any votes at all because people voting for Z think Y is better than X and Y have a better chance of winning
>Nation ends up with two big blocks and any diversity is within each political party and not divided between several different political parties

>Majority in parliament needed
>3 alternatives
>X have the most votes, but Z and Y have a majority of votes when count together
>Since Z and Y can compromise on a few points they work together to form a government since cooperation is better than having X in charge
>Political diversity maintained
>>
>>2125374
Not really tho. Here in Italy, for example there are some pretty noticeable groups who affiliate with "radical" ideologies and they are much more present than the radical groups you have in the USA. And the usa is a much bigger and more diverse country.
>>
Well here in Finland the Left vs. Traditional right has been always a thing and we actually fought over it against the reds in the Freedom war , civil war or class war depending on your standpoint. People still get pissy if you use the wrong term in the wrong neighborhood.

Pic related. The whites imprisoned, executed and famined most of the reds to death after the civil war.
>>
>>2125398
This seems like one of the biggest reasons. I forget what is called but there's some assertion that a nation's constitution determines its political system. US winner take all makes a 2 party system inevitable for the reasons you described.

Though I don't know the details of the Israeli constitution, I've heard it requires a fairly broad coalition to get anything done, which is why their hardliners get so much say. Not passing judgement good or bad on any issue here but that's how it goes.
>>
>>2125369
It's not as polarized as one might think.

Canada, a three party system, is largely liberal to begin with. Sure you have the conservatives, but they're starting posts are already pretty socially and economically liberal. Think of them as centrists. But in all honesty a lot of parties are simply centrists while giving the appearance of being left or right
>>
>>2125947
>But in all honesty a lot of parties are simply centrists while giving the appearance of being left or right
pretty much.
it's the same in india.
Any party that has come close to power is centrist-leftist with different coats of paint.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.