[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does Jordan Peterson have a good conception of religion? I know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: TheGreatFather.jpg (29KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
TheGreatFather.jpg
29KB, 1000x562px
Does Jordan Peterson have a good conception of religion? I know he borrows a lot from Carl Jung and Mircea Eliade, but in the talks I've seen he dichotomizes between science' ability to understand how things are, and religion's ability to explain how one should act, and I do indeed agree with him that it is a meaningful distinction.

What I don't understand completely however is that he analyzes religion as a scientist, but he also says he is very religious.

Reason I'm asking is that a lot of what he says in some of the interviews(particularly the long ones) he has about spiritually resonates a lot with me, even though I consider myself an atheist.
>>
>>2118014
Religion has a lot of good to offer, and there are some veery good teachings within Christianity. Jordan explained the difference between being atheist or something else along the lines of "In the journey of searching for truth, being an atheist is just taking a few steps on a million mile trail" or something like that.
>>
>>2118014
The way I undetrstand his views is that he thinks many religious stories and myths throughout time are written down stories of behavioural truth. That is, the truth that has been revealed through action and subconciously been expressed in the myths of various cultures. In that way he finds them "true", not in the strict scientific sense but rather in his own category of "behavioural truth". Now, since he's from a christian culture and since he particularly thinks the idea of logos and the idea of sacrifice as expressed in the bible to be very appealing to him, he calls himself a christian. Even though(as I understand it) he doesn't really believe in the personal god as described in the bible. I remember seeing a video of him explaining his definition of God, but can't remember which one it was. But basically he said that when he feels meaning by acting out speaking the truth and living a good life then he feels like that represents him being in tune with a personal god. But it's honestly a lot of semantics I think and that he wants to appear to be a christian, when most people's definitions of being a christian wouldn't fit. He finds equal truth displayed in christianity in egyptian and mesopotamian mythology for instance. So he says he's "religious" because he finds truth in those myths. Does that qualify as being religious? To him it does, to me I wouldn't necessarily identify that as him being religious. Because essentially all he does is find wisdom in myths by interpreting them in his own way. That doesn't really qualify imo.
>>
>>2118899

I think of religion , very broadly, as a form of comportment towards 'the world' and those within it, which is more or less how Peterson seems to construe it as well--though with a focus on, as you say, 'behavioral truth', or a pragmatic orientation.
>>
>>2118899
>>2119002

*principled comportment
>>
>>2118014
Forced meme.
>>
>>2119030

>Forced meme

Oxymoron
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.