[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which army charge would be scarest to witness? I imagine azt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 23

Which army charge would be scarest to witness? I imagine aztecs equipped with this shit would be one of the scariest motherfuckers even existed in military history. Nuclear bomb is more dectructive but at least until it hits you can just drink tea in a peace and relative comfort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9QuO09z-SI
>>
Flower wars aren't real wars.
>>
>>2113937
Tlaxcalans would disagree
>>
>>2113912
Maori are pretty scary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKgVgZ_jTak
>>
Who would win Maori or Aztecs?
>>
File: Totenkopf Helmet.jpg (33KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
Totenkopf Helmet.jpg
33KB, 480x640px
Black Reiters.
>>
File: 16403746292_96f89b93f3_z.jpg (95KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
16403746292_96f89b93f3_z.jpg
95KB, 480x640px
>>2113912
I want to know how to make one now.
>>
I'm pretty sure the death whistles aren't a real thing.

>>2114061
>organized army from a unified empire with logistical lines
>Loose collection of independent tribes with no concrete military organization

gee I wonder
>>
>>2113912

Yeah, real scary til you lay into them with some shot
>>
>>2114061
1v1 like some deadliest warrior shit its hard to say, i'd go with Aztec because they had at least some armor and obsidian is better than shark teeth but thats a well equipped Aztec warrior, a lot of them didnt have armor or a macuahuitl. Civilization versus cvilization Aztec for sure. They were much more organized, and a real civilization rather than a bunch of scattered tribes. Thats not to say the Maori werent fearsome and deadly, but the Aztec were more advanced than the Maoris
>>
File: 1481514458427.png (75KB, 935x553px) Image search: [Google]
1481514458427.png
75KB, 935x553px
>>2114435
>I'm pretty sure the death whistles aren't a real thing.
this

>>2114454
Or sneeze. I still wonder what would have happened if they also had had guns
>>
>>2114435

>organized army from a unified empire with logistical lines
>get btfo forever by a few dudes

>Loose collection of independent tribes with no concrete military organization
>eat the invaders on the beach, quickly adapt to use firearms and trench warfare, get treaty with invaders and retain autonomy to some degree

gee i wonder, ey brew
>>
>>2114677
>Btfo forever by a few dudes
those dudes brought smallpox, and technology that made them pretty much invincible. Also helps that the aztecs thought they were literal gods. The question was who would win in a fight, not which society died
>>
>>2114677
>>get btfo forever by a few dudes

But that's wrong, the Spainish gathered massive native army of like 200,000 soliders from other kingdoms and city states around mexico that hated the aztecs. That, plus smallpox, is why the spainish won.

The Spainish got their butts kicked multiple times when it was just them against the natives. Numbers and logistics is a huge deal, bigger then the technology advantage the conquistadors had, see the image in >>2114674
>>
File: few dudes.png (28KB, 350x466px) Image search: [Google]
few dudes.png
28KB, 350x466px
>>2114677
>few dudes
not to mention the smallpox, cannons, horses, etc
>>
File: ye.jpg (11KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
ye.jpg
11KB, 228x221px
>>2114710
>few dudes.png
kek
>>
>>2113912
Probably a Mongol horde, or the Japanese in China. Basically anyone whom you can expect to kill, rape and torture at will, indefinitely.

Or do you mean only the very immediate effect rather than the prospect of long-term hell on earth?

In that case I'd guess that seeing a fleet of bombers darken the sky, about to lay utter waste to all you ever knew, would be pretty scary.

Or is that not enough of a charge for you? Fine.
Then I vote for knights or tanks. An enemy you know you cannot defeat, who'll end you with a flick of his overpowered wrist.
>>
>>2113912

The scariest thing you can hear is the sound of GRAD missles
>>
File: picture8nh.png (2MB, 1003x768px) Image search: [Google]
picture8nh.png
2MB, 1003x768px
>>2114061
Going to have to go with the Mexica. They had several different e;ite military orders and larger population to draw on. Seeing an Otomi or Shorn One fighting the best the Maori had to offer would be a hell of an experience.
>>
File: picture14xz.png (2MB, 1024x740px) Image search: [Google]
picture14xz.png
2MB, 1024x740px
>>2114710
Near 50% casualty rate for the Spanish.
>>
>>2113912
sorry to tell you this, whistle of dead is bullshit
>>2113972
you are right, flower wars was to colect slaves from other tribes
and the strongest of the Aztecs were the Mexicas.
Aztecs were a group of three tribes in the Texcoco lake the ways of war combat were very diferent from culture to culture, the spanish peeps who came from a middle age nightmare. the worst sound to "the aztecs" were the sound of gunpowder, most natives fainted imediatly after detonating fire arms. Leon Portilla (mexican historian) describes the brutalitty of the spanish men who torture mexicas chopping his hands ears and tongues, or how the mexicas brujos were killed by mastin dogs. the natives the spanish people found in america was a very diferent culture with a profound link with the nature, yes, they practice human sacrifices, but we have to remember a very diferent "cosmovision" of the universe for a example the Mexicas mostly sacrifice his slaves, in the other hand mayans prepare an individual since birth for the sacrifice, for the mayans it was an honor to sacrifice their lives in the rite.

im making my bachelors degree in history, im from southeast Mexico

regards

recomended lecture "La vision de los vencidos - Miguel Leon Portilla"
english title: The broken spears
>>
>>2115682
Tell me about the Otomies.
>>
>>2115755
dont have much to say, only they are attributed the great city of Teotihuacan and Cholula, the first big cities in preclasic age, the main pyramid in cholula is the biggest in the world, they were an orginarian culture, like mesopotamic culture, very ancient whowever this big cities share a big traffic with other major cities like Monte Alban an even the Mayans in the beautiful city of Mirador all in the preclasic age
>>
File: NA NOZH.jpg (161KB, 300x388px) Image search: [Google]
NA NOZH.jpg
161KB, 300x388px
>They did not want to know that the bayonet is out of use and threw themselves with their blades out. From 500m away, their generals could not hold them. Nothing could stop their irresistible offense.
The Times newspaper on the Battle of Lule Burgas

>This was a human wave, a tide of manliness. A storm of people... We cannot imagine without awe and admiration a line of forts taken with a bayonet attack.
Corriere della sera newspaper on the Battle of Lule Burgas
>>
>>2114630
>1v1 like some deadliest warrior shit its hard to say, i'd go with Aztec because they had at least some armor and obsidian is better than shark teeth but thats a well equipped Aztec warrior
You're forgetting the fact that Aztecs are tiny manlets and Maoris are fucking tanks.
>>
>>2114710
>muh tlaxcallans

All but about a dozen tlaxcallans abandoned the siege when times got tough and they wanted to go home with their loot, leaving the Spanish to maintain the siege all by themselves.

It didn't even matter.

Not to mention that the Spanish had stomped the Tlaxcallan army in battle three times with no native support.

Mexican armies were large but could not be motivated to deliver a decisive charge. Their attacks were hesitant and piecemeal. If you look at the battles where the mexicans managed to actually inflict more than a handful of casualties on the Spanish, it was because the battles lasted hours or days and their middling little attacks wore the Spanish soldiers down over time or a lucky stone or arrow among thousands managed to inflict a lethal wound.

It's not like tiny armies of Europeans defeating massive armies of natives is some rare or unbelievable occurance. A few years later, Pizarro managed to conquer an even bigger empire with even fewer men.
>>
>>2117337
pizarro arrive in a incan civil war, most of the cities were abandoned, whit the exploration.
we must remember that spanish soldiers have heavy armor in a hostile weather but so, they bring a lot of diseases that kill mostly all the population of mesoamerica even after the conquest
>>
>>2117322
>You're forgetting the fact that Aztecs are tiny manlets and Maoris are fucking tanks.

I've never actually seen a source for it, but i've seen it said multuple times here that the aztecs were actually pretty tall.
>>
File: the Byzantines deserved this.jpg (244KB, 1162x850px) Image search: [Google]
the Byzantines deserved this.jpg
244KB, 1162x850px
>>2113912
>Charge of French knights AND Venetian siege ships
>>
>>2114689
>what was the battle of Otumba
>>
>>2115755
They're just glorified chichimecs.
>>
>>2113912
https://youtu.be/VY-3BNnbV_o?t=123
>>
>>2118528

Here's what a Spaniard in the 16th century had to say about them.

"The people of this land are well made, rather tall than short. They are swarthy as leopards, of good manners and gestures, for the greater part very skillful, robust, and tireless, and at the same time the most moderate men known. They are very warlike and face death with the greatest resolution."
>>
File: 1456433201336.png (473KB, 570x470px) Image search: [Google]
1456433201336.png
473KB, 570x470px
>>2120524
WTF

I hate conquistadors / love Mexica now?
>>
>>2119553
Are you fucking kidding me why didn't they just shoot them
>>
>>2120571
They're Belgian what do you expect?
>>
>>2113912
>>2114061
Tie between Aztecs, Maoris and Confederates in my mind.
I think there would be something else about going off to fight a war against your fellow American and finding yourself staring down a line of screaming white men coming to stab your eyes out.
>>
A Mongol horde. Throat singing, ululating, and the whole shower of arrows would probably scare the fuck out of anyone
>>
>>2113912
Probably a Soviet charge after a large barrage of Katyushas.
>>
>>2119102
Or Tarasca, or when fought the Tlaxcalans during three days (and nights) and won...
>>
>>2118053
> spanish soldiers have heavy armor in a hostile weather
When they had time to put on their armor, that is.
Wearing a chest plate in said weather could reach a temperature of 200 degrees Fahrenheit. So the Spaniards adopted the rock salt flack jackets popular among the natives, and had friendly natives carry their armor for them.

Disease didn't play a big part until the siege of Tenochtitlan. The simple fact is the spaniards won nearly unbelievable victory after victory because of superior tactics and the shock of cavalry (of which Cortez had around 20 initially) and the shock of gunpowder.
>>
>>2120903
Xicotencatl II nearly wiped out Cortez's force with a Tlaxcallan army until a rival ruler intervened and ordered the army to withdraw instead of wiping out the Spaniards. The natives learned early on how to counter firearms by running in a serpentine pattern and Cortez had too few of them for them to be truly effective. His crossbowmen played a greater role.
>>
>>2120945
Very true, anon, crossbows can not be forgotten.
>>
>>2120945
>Xicotencatl II.
Wut,than I remember he fought vs the Spaniards three times, the first 2 of septembre of 1519, Xicohténcatl fought Cortez in the Teocantzingo using an ambush, and the Tlaxcalan lost badly that one. The Second in the plains was even worse because Cortez used the cavalry better. And the third, at night, the Spaniards learned about the night atack and counter-ambushed them
>>
File: eatshit.jpg (420KB, 1920x1152px) Image search: [Google]
eatshit.jpg
420KB, 1920x1152px
>>2113912
>>
>>2122133
thought of this
there is no way some tattoed masked screaming savages can be more terrifying than the sight of this
>>
>>2120524
Source on that?
>>
File: 1470945294709.jpg (112KB, 572x303px) Image search: [Google]
1470945294709.jpg
112KB, 572x303px
>>2123199
>Cavalry comes
>They spear you and trample you with their horses
>Leave you for dead

>Savages come
>Spear you or hammer you with their paddle swords
>They keep you alive long enough to eat you, cut your heart out while it's still beating, or skin you alive and and wear your hide for their ritual dance

I'll take the cavalry
>>
File: 17607.jpg (149KB, 736x598px) Image search: [Google]
17607.jpg
149KB, 736x598px
>everything ITT
>Not Greek Fire

The byzantines used it at sea, in sieges and on land. They filled pots with it and threw them like petrol bombs, hurled it with trebuchets, employed troops with portable pumps filled with it called cheirosiphons (esentially medieval flamethrowers) and made fireships with built in siphon systems and tanks full of the substance.

>It was sticky
>produced smoke
>would burn on water and couldn't be put out

Imagine being in an arab ship doused by a blast of sticky fire or getting cooked alive in your armour.
>mfw Game of Thrones copied its properties for Wildfire
>mfw I have no face cause image is not mf
>>
Facing a Gatling gun while marching in line
>>
File: 20th-maine-round-top.jpg (31KB, 448x298px) Image search: [Google]
20th-maine-round-top.jpg
31KB, 448x298px
>>2120719
>Confederates

what? most of the scary and successful charges of the war were carried out by Union forces.
>>
Any WW1 battlefield but in particular the battle of passchendaele. Thats a big NOPE for me.
>>
>>2123344
>implying Greek fire can melt Venetian ships
Kek
>>
>>2123344
>Greek fire
>Hagia Sofia has minarets
>>
>>2120719
The rebel yell is probably the gayest shit ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6jSqt39vFM

Honestly if I ever encountered this IRL I'd probably die but from laughing rather than fear.
>>
>>2123602
Ric Flair would be proud.
>>
>>2123602
"Yaaaooh"
I mean I've heard more laughable stuff.
Sounds like a tribal battle call or something.
Probably inspired by native war cries.
>>
File: 220px-Subudei.jpg (23KB, 220x330px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Subudei.jpg
23KB, 220x330px
>anything but a Mongol horde led by Subutai

Listen to Dan Carlin's Wrath of the Khans and you will understand.
>>
>>2123602
Fuck, we're being invades by sea lions! Or otters.
>>
>>2123602
Fuck that, if I was holding the line in some farmland in Virginia and heard a thousand voices screaming out like that in the tree lines I'd bee shitting my blue britches.
>>
Maybe that Vietnamese army that would have condemned criminals in the front ranks who when close to the enemy would all suddenly try and decapitate themselves. You'd just be so shaken and dumbstruck by a sight like that that the next line of infantry storming right over their bodies would be all the more frightening.
>>
>>2114674

didn't the Ethiopians defeat Italians multiple times due to them having guns handed by other powers?
>>
>>2124108
>Subutai
The image is from a Qing woodblock print that depicts Guo Ying,a general who served the Hongwu Emperor.

Whoever first uploaded the image probably can't read Chinese.
>>
>>2123580
Verdun was worse, you dumb cucknadian
>>
>>2127126
>drowning in the pits filled with ooze and human remains
What a fucking horrific way to die
>>
>>2124572
Sounds doubtful
>>
File: 1481772874266.png (7KB, 309x266px) Image search: [Google]
1481772874266.png
7KB, 309x266px
>>2118536
MONTJOIE SAINT-DENIS
>>
>>2127210
Actually no, that was a common tactic in China as well to terrify and confuse the enemy
>>
>>2113912
Gauls or Hannibal's army

gauls because of the no armor thing and Hannibal because of the motherfucking ELEPHANTS
>>
File: 1476476461991.png (248KB, 596x628px) Image search: [Google]
1476476461991.png
248KB, 596x628px
>>2124572
>Watch enemies execute their own
>"Look, boys. They're doing our job for us."
>>
File: 1479250162400.jpg (134KB, 580x472px) Image search: [Google]
1479250162400.jpg
134KB, 580x472px
>>2127302
Have you ever heard of the commissar ?
>>
>>2127262
Dan Carlin's audiobook about the Punic War really makes the elephant factor come alive.

Imagine if you, and men from your neighbourhood, had to grab weapons and go out and face an elephant... In hand to hand combat.
>>
File: Untitled.png (976KB, 836x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
976KB, 836x768px
>>2127262
>>
probably be a couple hundred native american horsemen for me, them screaming inhumanly and dressed all weird, like what is described in blood meridian
>>
>>2123398
Fucking LOL
>>
>>2127497
What the fuck is this image trying to express?
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.