[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was ww1 truly as bad as books and films make it seem? Did soldiers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

Was ww1 truly as bad as books and films make it seem?

Did soldiers really die seconds after leaving the trenches most of the time?

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to the soldiers, I'm just curious
>>
>>2108543
Buddy if you aren't able to google this you should just fuck off.
>>
>>2108543
Yes, thanks to the marvels of writing, you can read accounts of the soldiers themselves, and thanks to the magic of record-keeping you too, are able to know how many people died in the war.
>>
File: Verdun 14-18 - German Dead 001.jpg (264KB, 920x621px) Image search: [Google]
Verdun 14-18 - German Dead 001.jpg
264KB, 920x621px
>>2108543
Verdun and, to a lesser extend, the Somme were particularly awful
Now it wasn't the case in every battle on every front (although even in the "quiet" places soldiers were far from having it nearly as easy as WW2 US troops or 21st century Western troops)
>>
>>2108543
Yes and no. There were patches of hell, and periods where people were generally fine.

Depending on how the army was organised would depend quite how dispersed or concentrated the horror was. The French rotated their entire army through the charnel house of Verdun, while the British would rotate units when they got chewed up and you could end up in a fairly quiet "lets occasionally lob a shell at each other" section of the line.

Also going over the top was shit, but most casualties were from artillery, even during an offensive you were more likely to die from shellfire than be shot.

Go and listen to based Dan Carlins WW1 series, it will give you a nice overview and he has spiced it with plenty of grim first hand accounts.
>>
>>2108551
What should I google

'was ww1 really that bad?'

>>2108553
>you too, are able to know how many people died in the war.

Deaths =/= likelihood of being killed in trench warfare

The Death toll of ww1 was boosted by the Spanish Flu and Infection.
>>
>>2108582
Thanks, I'll check it out
>>
>>2108582
>Dan Carlins

Lindybeige tier jingoism and francophobia desu
>>
>>2108616
Really? I've never had that impression at all.

I felt Carlin didn't try to glorify American involvement or anything. Nor did he seem to have a grudge against the french. Unless you count him contrasting their war-making ability with that of the germans as francophobia...
>>
>>2108796
>I felt Carlin didn't try to glorify American involvement or anything.

He tries to make Brits seem more important than they were though
>>
>>2108835
t.butthurt frog
>>
>>2108873
t. butthurt bong
>>
>>2109104
t. butthurt kraut
>>
>>2108586
>Deaths =/= likelihood of being killed in trench warfare
>
>The Death toll of ww1 was boosted by the Spanish Flu and Infection.
M8 you can look up individual battle statistics. 1st Battle of the Marne lasted less than a week and over 80k Frenchies died, I somehow doubt any of those were the result of disease because it takes a bit longer for that shit to set in.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.