[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't East Asia into knives and forks? Why didn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 22

File: 450px-Chopstick[1].png (30KB, 450x158px) Image search: [Google]
450px-Chopstick[1].png
30KB, 450x158px
Why didn't East Asia into knives and forks?

Why didn't they use the spoons they had more than they did?

Why favor eating utensils that make consuming your regional dietary staple so hard?
>>
>cheap
>easy to fashion by hand
>cultural memetics mean proficiency is attained by early childhood
>>
File: 1424373573351.jpg (244KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1424373573351.jpg
244KB, 1200x1600px
>>2107228
The food is prepared to make it easy to eat with chopsticks, just like we prepare food so that it's easy to eat with a fork. East Asian rice is sticky, so it's pretty trivial for them to pick it up. Also, splitting lines makes you look like a faggot.
>>
File: bound.jpg (64KB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
bound.jpg
64KB, 280x210px
>>2107228

While we're at it, let's discus why Chinese foot-binding is a thing.

look man, its a cultural thing... they did it because Asian culture is very... stubborn as opposed to European
>>
File: main_spoon_photo_500x332[1].jpg (24KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
main_spoon_photo_500x332[1].jpg
24KB, 500x332px
>>2107252
They had spoons though.

Considering rice is their foundation of the entire region's diet, and their method of eating it amounts to

>hold bowl up to face
>shovel food into mouth

why didn't anyone ever look at the spoons they also DEFINITELY had and say "Wouldn't that work better?"
>>
>>2107256
>East Asian rice is sticky, so it's pretty trivial for them to pick it up
That's not how they eat rice though.

>>2107271
>Also, splitting lines makes you look like a faggot.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>2107257
is that supposed to be a joke?
>>
>>2107286
>That's not how they eat rice though.
They pick up the rice with chopsticks and put it in their mouths. What do you think they do, grab it with their hands?
>>
>>2107289

Pic related? no that's an actual thing. the other part yes.
>>
>>2107257
Is that shit still happening over there?
>>
>>2107294
>t. never watched people in East Asia eat rice

They literally hold the bowl up to their face and shovel the food in, to minimize the amount of time the rice spends precariously hanging on the chopsticks.

Yeah, it's stickier which facilitates its pickup with the chopsticks, but the entire strategy around eating it focuses on how fucking hard it is to eat that specific food with those specific utensils.
>>
>>2107303

ehhhh... it is, but it's like only a select few women just to keep the tradition going. The tradition being performed for its original purpose though is not happening, no. I'd totally sit here and tell you all about it, time mag covered it not too long ago if youre looking for a actual source. google chinese foot binding.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>2107305
But chopsticks also allow for picking up sushi without ruining it's structural integrity baka gaijin
>>
>>2107313
>Sushi rice, which is prepared in an extremely specific way to have specific properties is representative of all rice eaten in East Asia

>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 436x700px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 436x700px
>>2107257
>Hey guiz, why don't we start compacting little girls feet to the point of extreme deformation where they can hardly walk
"Great idea! Lets do it"

>Hey guiz, why don't we all flattened the heads of little children in between two boards so they've got a superior sloped look instead of being a roundheaded pleb?
"Holy fuck I want more"

>hey guiz, maybe if we shoved pieces of bone through our penises it will make us more sexually viral
"Yeah all the ladies are going to love this"

>Hey guiz, why don't we start cutting the skin off babies penises, so they aren't tempted to enjoy sex or anything like that
"God damn, I can't believe I never thought of that"

>hey guiz, btw why don't we cut the clits off girls so they don't turn into roasty sluts
"Wow these ideas just keep getting better and better"

>hey guiz, maybe if we cut out this slaves heart and fed it to the sun god he won't curse us with famine. then we'll eat his corpse just to make sure god really blesses us the most
"Sounds like flawless logic to me"

>hey guiz, now that these video camera things are taking off, maybe if we burned journalists to death and put it on youtube our rag tag team of sheep fucking jihadists could trigger a global caliphate and cause the end of the world
"I can't believe I hadn't thought about it before"

Humanity in a nutshell.
>>
>>2107337
1 of these things actually worked
>its the third one
>>
>>2107228

>eating rice with chopsticks
>hard

get good and stop trying to eat dry indian/european rice strains with chopsticks. I don't go around eating pot roast with fucking fondue forks for a reason.
>>
>>2107228
>OP posts a thread questioning glorious nippon on 4chan
You thought the weebs were gone or in containment boards?

Boy you're about to get disabused of that notion
>>
>>2107228
Fork was invented by the Chinese
>>
>>2107337

you forgot the part where

>hey guys, bad news all the poor people are getting educated now so we need to kill them off with CancerEbolAIDSHepC#9/11TruthAnthraxJFKAssinateINC2ndrenaissanceDenverAirportConspir
"NO FUCKING WAY?! GREAT IDEA!"
>>
File: hqdefault-1.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault-1.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>2107336
>not getting the joke

BAKA GAINJIN
>>
>>2107362
>hey guiz, now that we have all information for basically free and available anywhere on earth, without borders or even the constriction of travel time, what do you think we should do with it?
"Lets hang out on /pol/ and draw racist pictures while we complain about furgners (on an international anonymous imageboard) and make up crazy bullshit that not only obviously isn't true, but can be disproven with a google search and the tiniest bit of critical thinking/fact checking/source checking"
>horry fuck what an amazing idea
>>
>>2107379

gimme a break man, this is my first time trolling a message board.
>>
File: ZZE6Uq5.jpg (661KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ZZE6Uq5.jpg
661KB, 1920x1080px
>>2107337
welp, browsing 4chan paid off for today
>>
>>2107228
Confucianism. Knives are violent.
>>
>>2107305

As opposed to us civilised westerners who carry food from the plate to our mouths precariously balanced on a fork, and cover our clothes and furniture with special cloths so they aren't stained when some food inevitably falls off.
>>
i think it had something to do with stabbing the food with a fork/knife being violent
>>
>>2107228
If you ever had good East Asian rice you would know; it's sticky and soft enough to stay in a ball on your chopsticks

The dry gruel Indian and Thai plebs eat don't even compare
>>
File: gamer-chips-2.jpg (94KB, 580x438px) Image search: [Google]
gamer-chips-2.jpg
94KB, 580x438px
Fork and knives BTFO how will they ever recover. All those baka gaijin using their fingers when a convenient utensil was already invented.
>>
>>2107623
Yeah I really don't see how eating rice with a fork as 99% of Westerners do is any better than eating it with chopsticks and there's no reason we shouldn't be using spoons either.
Both Asians and Westerners use spoons to serve the rice already too.
>>
>>2107337
Ayy
>>
>>2107796
Weirdest thing is that the Japanese do eat curry rice with a spoon.
>>
spoons are very common in southeast asia. what you dont find are knifes or forks. im in vietnam ;)
>>
When they first saw westerners using knives and forks they thought it was utterly barbaric. Those things are made for for hunting and preparing food, not for eating.
>>
>>2107228
Are you fucking retarded?

>Why favor eating utensils that make consuming your regional dietary staple so hard?

Just because you don't know how to use it doesn't mean it's hard, otherwise a third of the world wouldn't use it lmao

Its like saying 'why didn't the Japanese invent English, it's a much easier language to speak'
>>
>>2107831
Faggot, if it was easier to manipulate rice with chopsticks than a spoon then why the fuck do they serve it with a spoon instead of chopsticks?

This isn't some "lol primitive savages why aren't they like us" /pol/ bullshit. Forks are just as shit for eating rice. Spoons however aren't. It's a legitimate question.

Why invent a second, harder way to manipulate the food?

From an anthropological perspective it's fucking fascinating.
>>
>>2107811
>Vietnam
>Actually uses the most logical tool for the job
That right there is why they beat the US in a war, while the Japanese couldn't hang and the Chinese got BTFO by the Japanese and thus through the transitive property are even worse. :^)
>>
>>2107802
Maybe curry rice is soup and thus a spoon is appropriate?
>>
>>2107802
>curry rice
Don't you mean kare raisu?
>>
>>2107877
>why the fuck do they serve it with a spoon instead of chopsticks

Traditionally they don't
>>
>>2108209
>kare raisu
>not kareeraisu
>>
>>2108221
Bullshit.
>>
I dunno.
Why did it take you Western faggots so long to make a printing press or a half decent clock?
>>
>>2108381
Why did you Eastern faggots need us to develop effective gunpowder weapons and half decent ocean going ships?
>>
>>2107831
Thats not what he said. A tool intended for one use can be superior to a tool intended for another use at said use.

Case in point: Learning to write chinese with the latin alphabet is easier for chinese children living in china than learning the bajillion kanji ypu need to be able to write well
>>
>>2107623
>and cover our clothes and furniture with special cloths so they aren't stained when some food inevitably falls off.
you aren't supposed to cover yourself when you are not a child anymore ... precisely because it's not supposed to fall
>>
File: PICT0015.jpg (1MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0015.jpg
1MB, 3008x2000px
>>2108945
Someone get this ill-mannered barbarian out of here.
http://www.dummies.com/relationships/etiquette/table-manners-using-your-napkin-while-dining/
>>
because they use a single dish with food cut into small pieces so chopsticks are more hygienic since when used properly they never come in contact with the mouth, also it's much more convenient to eat rice out of a bowl with sticks than with fork or chinese style spoons
>>
>>2107228
>Why didn't East Asia into knives and forks?
China did tho, but because of a huge population bost the food was much smaller, hard to cut and eat with fork and knife.
Also, buy cutting the food into smaller pieces, you need less wood to prepare it. However, eating small portions of meat with a work or knife is just useless, easier to use chopsticks.

Also Confucious said that the act of eating with tableware should be civilized and hormonious or whatever. Nothing harmonious or civilized with eating with weapons.
>>
>>2108381
Why did Chinese develop movable type but abandoned it in favor of inefficient woodblock printing?
>>
>>2107564
>>2107819
>>2107654
>>2109054
>Also Confucious said that the act of eating with tableware should be civilized and hormonious or whatever. Nothing harmonious or civilized with eating with weapons.

This is the explanation I heard too, but where exactly did Confucius say this? I read an English translation of the Analects at one point, but I don't remember this being mentioned.
>>
>>2109094
There are ten billion quotes attributed to Confucius, most of them probably invented 2000 years after his death.
>>
>>2108998
hah, excuse me but i am French so i'm pretty sure i know more than you do about table manners

when i was like 10 my parents told me to take off the napkin since i'm not a baby and i shouldn't drop any food now
if you do drop any food you are incompetent btw
>>
>>2109122
>hah, excuse me but i am French so i'm pretty sure i know more than you do about table manners

You don't know more about table manners, you all are just stuck-up assholes.
>>
>>2109128
yeah whatever you say, i totally haven't heard this a thousand time before
>>
>>2109122
Excuse ME but I am French too and your parents are low-brow proles.
>>
>>2109122
Did your parents also teach you that punctuation and capitalization is just for elementary schoolers?
>>
>>2109136
Well if everyone else in the world agrees Pierre, then there's gotta be some truth to it.
>>
>>2109170
i never capitalize on 4chan because it feels wrong to me to put effort in my posts here, i'm already wasting time just by being here and furthermore i definitely don't want any of you niggers taking any pleasure reading my posts
>>
>>2109188

You sound like an insufferable person.
>>
>>2109188
French people proving that they're insufferable yet again
>>
File: assburger.jpg (8KB, 245x279px) Image search: [Google]
assburger.jpg
8KB, 245x279px
>>2109188
I am so sorry you had to see this.
>>
File: 130842303938.jpg (23KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
130842303938.jpg
23KB, 250x250px
>>2108917

>mfw retards genuinely believe this

What's really funny is the utensils weren't even a thing in the West until the 18th century and Europeans were regarded as unwashed savages in Asia due to the fact that they ate with their hands and had poor hygiene.
>>
>>2107802
You retard how else do you eat a stew? With a fucking fork?
>>
>>2109338
You can totally eat curry rice with a fork. Pretty sure all Westerners eat stew/gravy with a fork and either rice, mashed potatoes or bread. Certainly never seen anyone eat it with a spoon outside of Japan.
>>
>>2109337
>50 cents have been deposited into your account
>>
>>2108917
The Manchu really JUST'd China up a great deal.

Also, the Chinese didn't really need to bother crossing oceans, being that they had ready access to just about every trade good.
>>
>>2109188
Fr*nch "people" truly are the worst.
>>
>>2109371
Europe surpassed china in gunpowder weapons in the 1500s already. Portuguese traders considered chinese cannons to be quite shit, and the chinese sought to buy better european guns.

And whether for a good reason or not, european ships were the key to european colonialism
>>
>>2109337
and today you are the unwashed 3rd world savages, full of disease and poverty you're barely seen as human, the literal trash of the west goes to your countries and fucks your women (and men) for 5$ or even for free, funny huh
>>
>>2109128
>Choffs the Anglo, between, or shall I say during, mouthfuls of beans, his elbows firmly planted on the table so any leakage drips onto his plate, as he hammers furiously at the keyboard with his non-bean-spoon-hand
>>
>>2107313
Sushi is finger food, street food. Japanese don't eat it with chopsticks, or at least they didn't until a few decades ago.
>>
File: aoKFXQT.jpg (281KB, 708x864px) Image search: [Google]
aoKFXQT.jpg
281KB, 708x864px
>>2109491
That-su the joke baka
>>
File: kekels.jpg (26KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
kekels.jpg
26KB, 375x375px
>>2109404

>Whites
>be a bunch of literal lazy niggers who's entire civilization is built on stolen shit
>Be in decline because being nigger rich is not the same as having actual wealth
>Getting cucked by mudslimes and pioneered the fetish
>calling anyone a savage
>mfw

It's like the Congo calling Costa Rica a shit hole. What's really funny is the despite all the development in the West, white people never figured out basic hygiene because I can assure you that you're more likely to acquire food poisoning in an LA restaurant than food cart in India.
>>
>>2109560
>you're more likely to acquire food poisoning in an LA restaurant than food cart in India.
That's mostly because the food is made in some chinese immigrant's bathtub and served by mexican illegals. Not even memeing.
>>
>>2109571

Wrong.

Koreans and Mexicans are the backbone of the food industry in California. If they aren't making the food, it likely won't be good and you're more likely to acquire food poisoning.
>>
>>2109560
lol no, never got any food issues in the west meanwhile in your shithole countries i got diarrhea over and over again don't even pretend this isn't true

also
>muh white people stole civilization
ridiculous
>>
>>2109596

Not once did I get food poisoning overseas that seems like a personal issue for you because you're clearly too stupid to avoid the shitty vendors.

>ridiculous

Nothing ridiculous about the truth saying otherwise is flat out denial.
>>
>>2109618
Yeah right it's just a coincidence

>Nothing ridiculous about the truth saying otherwise is flat out denial.
>
Just open a book you'll see only white people everywhere for the past 2500 years doing absolutely everything of note
(unless you're one of those people who say 3/4ths of Europe isn't white in which case you should just be ignored)
>>
>>2109636

It's a not a coincidence what I'm saying is that you got sick due to your stupid choices. The fact that you say you never got sick in the West is an outright lie.

>Just open a book you'll see only white people everywhere for the past 2500 years doing absolutely everything of note

Right because history books with a eurocentric bent are an accurate account of world history. Just because the West controls the narrative doesn't make it true.
>>
forks and knives are quite expensive. in china, ordinary people used chop sticks to eat. in europe, ordinary people used their figers to eat. forks and knives are only "normal" in the west since maybe a century or two. chinese sticked to their chopsticks, since most of their food is made to be eaten with chopsticks anyways.
>>
>>2107228
Because chopsticks are simply superior for the type of food they eat.
>>
>>2107271
They do use spoons.
>>
>>2109721
>>2109678
>Right because history books with a eurocentric bent are an accurate account of world history. Just because the West controls the narrative doesn't make it true.
But they mostly are. What is written in those books isn't fiction it's just facts.
You could find just a list of simple accurate facts, like "In that year such country did such thing, such person invented such thing" and so on. And indeed you'll find a lot of white people.
There are many objective and outsidet accounts of it, original manuscripts and so which if you want to check out for yourself if they are real, no doubt they are in a museum/library somewhere.
What would you write instead ? What is your version of history i'm curious ? Go ahead prove to me that actually white people never did anything, i'll be waiting.
>>
>>2109721
Didn't mean to quote you
>>
>>2109774
I dont know why you replied to me but my girlfriend is chinese, properly from China, and they definitely use spoons

they use knives and forks too just not with chinese food, only when they eat western.
>>
>>2109188
mah neger
>>
>>2107228

Because etiquette doesn't make sense. Not everything is about efficiency. Knives and forks were (maybe still are?) considered barbaric according to certain Confucian principles.

Were you to ask a traditionalist Chinese person "why not use spoons to eat rice?" they might say that being polite is much more important than eating as fast as possible.
>>
>>2109188
>Niggers
I'm French. Please refrain from being a immense d-bag Pierre.
>>
>>2109338
Two words. Sp Ork. Best of both worlds.
>>
>>2109774

>But they mostly are. What is written in those books isn't fiction it's just facts.

What's written in those books are the results of poor research and hubris. They completely ignore the work done by other civilizations and how they contributed to the work or how they actually created the subject. The best example of this is the claim that Pythagoras created the Pythagorean Theorem, when it was already known to Mesopotamian, Indian and Chinese scholars long before Pythagoras was even born.

>Go ahead prove to me that actually white people never did anything, i'll be waiting

You're claiming that not me. My stance is that since the West controls the narrative they can make all kinds of egregious and absurd claims with regards to its effect on world development, as if everything came out of Europe when historically it was an irrelevant backwater on the peripherals of the Old World.
>>
>>2109946
>What's written in those books are the results of poor research and hubris. They completely ignore the work done by other civilizations and how they contributed to the work or how they actually created the subject. The best example of this is the claim that Pythagoras created the Pythagorean Theorem, when it was already known to Mesopotamian, Indian and Chinese scholars long before Pythagoras was even born
What about all the books by the western scholars themselves ?
The ones where they explain their reasoning and conclusions in great length, and you can clearly see that they are brilliant people ?
These great books they just went and stole it all apparently. None of their thoughts or inventions were original.

It's all lies and they just copied it from the ancient lost books of brown people

Is this what i am supposed to believe ? Putting words in your mouth a little but this is what you sound like

>You're claiming that not me. My stance is that since the West controls the narrative they can make all kinds of egregious and absurd claims with regards to its effect on world development, as if everything came out of Europe
So many things did come out of Europe though. Do we just pretend they didn't ?
Which ones ? Oh, the whole "narrative", so basically all of it ?

>when historically it was an irrelevant backwater on the peripherals of the Old World.
The last 2500 years or so is hardly "irrelevant" in history, don't be dishonest
You are just ignoring an entire era probably for political reasons
The irrelevant era of Europe before that wasn't even so bad btw, actually it's pretty interesting
>>
Came to learn about the history of chopsticks
>unwashed savages
>deejunurashee
>other /pol/ shitposting
>I'm X and I know shit cause we are the culinary masters
>foot binding
Why
>>
>>2108917
China was definitely capable of creating large scale exploratory expeditions such as the Ming Treasure ships, but external threats from northern peoples and internal power struggles between different court factions (in the Ming, this mostly meant struggles between the eunuch factions and the extended imperial family) meant this sort of external spending was considered frivolous. In Europe the multi-polar balance of power created bigger incentives, and additionally the presence of the relatively calmer and safer Mediterranean provided a more forgiving environment to develop maritime technologies.
>>
>>2107788
This is actually amazing. I often eat snacks with a spoon not to get grease on my hands while I'm on the pc but it doesn't work with chips.
>>
>>2110467
It's also important to note that Europe had long-standing traditions of trade in bulk, due again to the relative calmness/smallness of the Mediterranean making bulk trades relatively less risky.

In Southeast and east Asia maritime trade was almost exclusively focused on a very small volume of very high value goods - silk, spices, tea, and silver/gold. This meant you had a far smaller merchant marine to build a professional naval infrastructure from and far fewer people invested in the success of new maritime technology.
>>
>>2110306

>The ones where they explain their reasoning and conclusions in great length, and you can clearly see that they are brilliant people ?

If actually knew anything about academia you'd know that they fall into the same self-deception, mania and bullshit as the rest of the common herd. They'll use all kinds of reasoning to justify bad research and science in order to fit their agendas and biases. No one batted an eye when phrenology was popular or when some Norwegian historian claimed that all Norwegians are actually descended from Atlanteans.

>These great books they just went and stole it all apparently. None of their thoughts or inventions were original.

Open up an actual objective history book. You'll know that most of the inventions that were supposedly created in the West had already existed in more developed parts of the Old World or were simply copied and refined.

>So many things did come out of Europe though.

Independent ideas came out of Europe but were they original or were they the first? More often then not that wasn't the case.

>The last 2500 years or so is hardly "irrelevant" in history, don't be dishonest

Post-Roman Europe was an irrelevant backwater. Europe only began being relevant again in the 16th century. You only think it's interesting because of the amount of self-wanking texts produced by Western academia attempting to talk the region up as more important than it actually was, when in reality the continent of Asia for most of human history was the cultural and economic powerhouse of the world.
>>
>>2110368
/his/ in a nutshell
>>
>>2109401
This is true, but the chinese were basically in decline from the fall of the Song Dynasty. They really never recovered their mojo after being Mongol'd
>>
>>2107228
>it's a dumb weab bases all their knowledge of the east on anime and has never actually tried doing the things they ask retarded questions about thread

baka desu senpai
>>
>>2109401

Yes and no

Europeans designed their cannons for sieges and for ship battles, and it's for the latter that the Ming sought Europeans cannons for but Chinese cannons were not designed for that as the traditional use of artillery was for battlefield support and destruction, meaning that Chinese cannons were designed to be lighter, more mobile and more accurate.
>>
>>2107359
we was chinks 'n shit
>>
>>2108998
You must be from a very rude background
>>
>>2109122
You must be hailed from a very poor, rude, brutish, crude, nasty, background, like if your were anarchist french punk sceners or some shit.
>>
>>2107271
As a personal preference, chopsticks are definitely better.
It might seem weird to an outsider that shoveling rice with chopsticks is efficient, but it works goddamn well. When i was younger most people in the family would use chopsticks for both dry rice and congee(rice porridge), both daily staples. Not an inconvenience in any way
>>
>>2107228
The Ancient Chinese started with forks, knives, and spoons actually. Multiple theories on it: one being they either invented it themselves, or got it from the Iranic Steppe Barbarians on their western border, since the design looked iranic (a two pronger with one longer than the other) Either way, it was mixed. Peasants had hands, Nobs had utensils.

Fastforward to the T'ang Dynasty, the golden era dynasty led to a lot of sophisticated arsty shit. One of them is the culinary practice of "cutting your food to pickable sizes during preparation so you wont cut it like an idiot savage barbarian or Ancient Chink." But picking food with hands = savage barbarian niggery. Enter the Chopsticks, which started life as a cooking utensil, and now is a tableware.

Fast forward again to the Song to Ming Period: the emergence of affordable laquerware and porcelain meant metallic objects that scratch the precious surface of these objects were a no-no. Given that the lowliest Chinese peasant to the fucking Emperor can afford these precious ceramics, they completed the BTFO of forks and knives from the Chinese table, while spoons became ceramics themselves.

>Chopsticks
>Hard
From a historic East Asian perspective, the use of knife and fork is making things hard. Why are you here, cutting around your meat like a savage, when you couldve done that - with a sharper knife- back at the kitchen?
>>
>>2107228
>Barbaric western chefs place food over a fire until it is near burned and throw it on a plate. One must cut it apart to separate the inedible portions like an animal.
>Eastern chefs prepare food so that it is perfectly edible the way it is.

In all seriousness, chop sticks are great.
>>
>>2111097
Shovel food like a pig, that's fine
>>
>>2107289

How fucking stupid can you be? China had a fucking communist revolution, what the fuck do you think?

goddamn burgers
>>
>you uncultured bastards use sticks to eat rice
>well, you unwashed fucks didn't bathe until X date
>well, what about dog meat?
>well what about Foie gras? And boiling lobsters alive?
>Well what about foot binding?
>What about the witch trials and circumcision?
>What about muh cultural explosion?
>What about muh ancient relevance?
TALK ABOUT CHOPSTICKS
>>
>>2107362
>HepC#
love it, taking it
>>
File: the_ultimate_utensils.webm (3MB, 360x640px) Image search: [Google]
the_ultimate_utensils.webm
3MB, 360x640px
>>2107228
>>
>>2107347
But humanity evolved in a way that took the bone out of the penis
>>
>>2107392
It ahiws. When someone calls you out, you're supposed to double down on the conspiracy crap and insinuate that the person you're arguing with is part of an insurgency movement from some communist subreddit, not apologize and admit you might be wrong. Next time someone calls you out, I expect to see no less than accusations of inter-racial cuckoldry; don't let me down.
>>
>>2109505
>some chink peasant had better teeth 150 years ago than yuropoors today
>>
>>2107228
So I'm just guessing here. I think it could have something to do with less accessible surface ore in east asia, in comparison to Europe. Forks wouldn't be a practical use of metal for the time.
>>
>>2111429
The answer is already here, doofus. >>2111126
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopsticks#History
>The first chopsticks were probably used for cooking, stirring the fire, serving or seizing bits of food, and not as eating utensils. Chopsticks began to be used as eating utensils during the Han dynasty. Chopsticks were considered more lacquerware friendly than other sharp eating utensils. It was not until the Ming dynasty that chopsticks came into normal use for both serving and eating. They then acquired the name kuaizi and the present shape.[18]
>>
>>2107256
Anything that can be eaten with chopsticks can be eaten with a work more efficiently and less piggish. There is literally no excuse, especially in the modern world, to use chopsticks aside from novelty.
>>
>>2109066
This is pretty much the story of China.

>invent something that could make things much easier
>toss it for the more inefficient way
>some time later, an intrepid Eurostani invents the same thing
>actually makes use of it as it makes life easier
>other people build on and improve it
>life becomes much better for it
>Chinaman shows up
>W-WE INVENTED THAT NOT YOU
>SUPERIOR CULTURE, 5000 YEARS OF UNINTERRUPTED HISTORY
>goes back to using balsa wood to shovel food into his face
>sure showed those Western devils
>>
>>2109401
>Europe surpassed china in gunpowder weapons in the 1500s already

>And whether for a good reason or not, european ships were the key to european colonialism

Not true

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Liaoluo_Bay

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Dutch_conflicts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tunmen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Xicaowan
>>
File: 29301[1].jpg (37KB, 348x232px) Image search: [Google]
29301[1].jpg
37KB, 348x232px
>>2109404

Say that again in 50 years.... ooohh your people won't be there anymore hahaha.
>>
>>2111507

Look at your immigration problems, how will the intelligent white creative men INVENT himself out of it, any idea?
>>
>>2107796
>there's no reason we shouldn't be using spoons either.
Spoons are for babies. Stabbing your meant while eating it is for Men
>>
>>2109122
>hon, excuse me but i am French
These credentials seem solid to me. This must be legit.
>>
>>2110368
I'm just here to watch.
>>
>>2110609
>Open up an actual objective history book.
hi im not who you replied to but do you have any recommendations
genuine interest here not trying to meme I just wanna read books
>>
>>2111530
>Europe surpassed china in gunpowder weapons in the 1500s already
It's true though. Breech loading artillery and matchlocks were quickly adopted and manufactured by local gunsmiths.
http://greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2015/04/breech-loading-cannons-of-ming-dynasty.html
http://greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2014/11/matchlock-of-ming-dynasty.html

>European forces in East Asia.
European armies were outclassed by tertiary polities(Cambodia,Vietnam etc.) so a direct comparison with the Ming is ludicrous.

That doesn't change the fact that their ships,fortifications and armaments were superior.
>>
>>2111691

Pick a subject. It's hard to find objective books because you have two extremes one which is completely eurocentric and the other which claims that Europe wasn't important at all and everything that was important occurred in Asia. There's very little in between but those books exist.
>>
>>2111126
OP here, finally a real answer amongst the /pol/-tier bullshit.

/his/ is basically /pol/ with dates, so it's a miracle I managed to actually learn fucking anything from this thread.

I was actually eating rice with chopsticks while this question popped into my head, for the record.
>>
>>2108279
(You)

Rice is a sticky substance and can be picked up in clusters, go to any restaurant in Asia and the only reason they have spoons is to accomodate non-Asian tourists
>>
>>2111907
Stop being retarded, you're SUPPOSED to eat curry rice with a spoon. It's part of the entire charm.
>>
>>2111911
Maybe in Americanised Indian restaurants but if you've actually ever gone to Asia most Asians eat rice with chopsticks, just go to any fucking restaurant you nigger gook spic fuck
>>
>>2111915
Indians don't use chopsticks though
>>
>>2111350
Kill yourself you fucking moron.

>Clearly a Manchu, so at least upper-middle class if not aristocratic

>No processed and overly sugarised foods back then

>Diet entirely on rice, vegetables and some meat with no saturated fats at all
>>
>>2111915
I'm talking about curry rice not any fucking rice, how are you supposed to eat it off the plate with chopsticks you dumbfuck?
>>
File: 05a.png (104KB, 200x218px) Image search: [Google]
05a.png
104KB, 200x218px
>>2109943
Fucking degeneracy
>>
>>2111918
>1800s.
>Manchus by this point in Qing History.
PROTIP: Not every Chinese commoner is a fucking peasant. A good number belonged to either the merchantile/artisan classes, and the scholar bureaucrat ones.
>>
>>2108281
lol. Now you're saying their trademark utensil isn't used to eat their staple food? >>2107228
It's just culture. Europeans can eat food much more efficiently than they do but refuse to out of manners. Chance created a tradition that is very obstinate and not necessarily utilitarian.
>>
>>2112003
>not knowing the difference between "serve" and "eat"
>lol.
Fuck off.
>>
>>2109560
>than food cart in India
Been there, In can fucking guarantee you that your statement is incorrect as fuck and that tons of Indians have absolutely no idea about hygiene in general
>>
God, I fucking hate white people.
>>
>>2107303
Mao banned it.
>>
>>2112193
Racist.
>>
>>2112193
I know and i hate you too
>>
>>2109094
>>2107654
Sounds like some bullshit you would find in a trivia book for kids.
>>
>>2109094
Its just a myth, but hey, Chinese have been told this for millenias so why not?
>>
>>2107228
because bringing weapons to your your dining table is barbaric
>>
>>2112193
>this type of shit is socially acceptable among western youth
Thanks this is pretty much why trump won
>>
File: 1479148803934.jpg (47KB, 543x533px) Image search: [Google]
1479148803934.jpg
47KB, 543x533px
>>2107337

>hey guiz, btw why don't we cut the clits off girls so they don't turn into roasty sluts
>"Wow these ideas just keep getting better and better"

This is actuallly not a bad idea, women can never be trusted to not be degenerate whores.
>>
>>2112392
Before
>can play with her clit to get off when her man isn't around
After
>can't get off without begging someone to thrust a big fat cock inside her

wow that sure solved everything
>>
>>2112367
This, all these people are racist as fuck t b h. No wonder white americans are so angry.
>>
>>2112392
>>2112422
More to the point, it doesn't fucking work, and neither does the whole "Sew up their vagina" thing Sandniggers do.

All garbage like Shariah law does is promote homosexuality and kiddy fiddling ("I can't get a woman, might as well get with a man"). Case in point: Tea boy culture.
>>
>>2112367
Do you ever go outside, or is your only source of information /pol/?

It's as socially acceptable as saying "god I hate (any colour of people)" in that in a country without niggers, most people would just ignore you or glare at you and think less of you in future, a few community college campuses don't represent the paradigm of the Western world

God I hate white people
>>
>>2112392

> I can't get a girlfriend, the post.
>>
>>2107228
Us Chinese had forks before we invented chopsticks.

Chopsticks are like eating with fingers except a bit cleaner and safer.

I personally use spoons for rice.
>>
File: garlicbreddd.jpg (60KB, 521x523px) Image search: [Google]
garlicbreddd.jpg
60KB, 521x523px
Table manners are fucking bullshit. Eat with your hands, most effective way by far.
>>
>>2109684
Everyone had a knife. It was a necessity and besides wasnt expensive unless you wanted some ridiculously pimped out variant. People used a combination of hands, spoons and knives, depending on what kind of meal was served in the olden days.
>>
>>2112503
I forgot to add that I was talking about europeans.
>>
>>2109221
Not really, he's just fr*nch.
>>
>>2109343
In asia everyone uses a spoon to eat curry.

People who go to a thai resturant and use a knife and fork are the absolute worst.
>>
>>2111718
>That doesn't change the fact that their ships,fortifications and armaments were superior.

You could conquer injuns, spearchucklers, abos and other stone age people with the same ammount of forces, just not China - therefore you failed.
>>
I hate chopsticks! I always pinch the inside of me cheek.
>>
>>2113051
>You could conquer injuns, spearchucklers, abos and other stone age people with the same ammount of forces
Strawman. Your rant aside,>>2109401 claimed(not that anon btw) Europeans surpassed the Chinese in gunpowder weapons(which the Chinese reverse engineered).

If you bothered to read >>2111718 I argue that Europeans were routinely smashed by tertiary powers due to a lack of numbers,power projection and local military competence.

Whether you like it or not some aspects of European technology already surpassed Ming China.

>therefore you failed.
I'm Chinese. You are fraud with an ax to grind.
>>
>>2107228
I think it's because they saw stabbing an already dead thing as disrespectful and barbaric. No idea why they didn't use spoons though.
>>
>>2109122
Notice, the only word he capitalizes is "French"
>>
File: trongs2.jpg (22KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
trongs2.jpg
22KB, 450x300px
what were the strangest eating utensils ever used?
>>
>>2113202
Forks and knives made from the bones of your enemies.
>>
>>2107623
You're supposed to gore the food on the fork so it doesn't fall off.
>>
>>2111915
lmao cumskin mad
>>
>>2113202
Chopsticks made from the bones of your enemies
>>
>>2107228
>Why didn't East Asia into knives and forks?
Chinese had knives and forks before chopsticks, they switched for reasons you couldn't understand because you're an uncivilized gwailo barbarian.

The rest of the region followed suit because they do whatever China does.
>>
>>2107228
Chopsticks are easier to wash by hand, I'll give them that.
>>
>>2113502
>not playing war at the dinner table
>implying this isnt why the white man was in perpetual warfare in europe and developed technology and conquered the world
>>
>>2107294
>What do you think they do, grab it with their hands?
Pretty common among South Asians
>>
>>2112460
I once knew a guy that ate food like baked beans and mashed potatoes in a most disgusting way, by putting it onto a paper plate and rolling it into like a funnel to shovel into his mouth
>>
>>2113535
>implying you cant spar with chopsticks
>>
>>2107890
Chinese use spoons.
>>
>>2114659
Not for rice
>>
>>2111507
But, they did invent it.
>>
>>2107228
im asian and i dont know why either.
>>
>>2111543
White people invented immigration. See pilgrims
>>
Most of Europe just ate with a knife and their hands. Forks were a Byzantine phenomenon. They don't make it to the west until much later.

Also keep in mind that wooden forks suck, thus requiring the use of scarce metals. Chopsticks require easy to procure wood and bamboo, which means they can be made on the spot.

This thread sounds like someone from the 1940s coming to the present day and complaining about the disposable razors.
>>
File: Filipino Reaction.png (16KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
Filipino Reaction.png
16KB, 429x410px
The thread had to fucking reach this point to be answered sanely >>2111126
fuck /his/, seriously.
>>
>>2110467
>between eunuch factions and the extended imperial family
eunuch faction represented the imperial family against the court bureaucrats
>>
>>2111336
Fuck, you guys are meta on this board. Sorry I took so long to get here.
>>
>>2107788
>>2110471
Works well for cheetohs too.
>>
>>2107228
Because East Asias sucks.

LONG LIFE TO THE WEST
>>
>>2113097
>I'm Chinese.
3rd gen cultural cuckolds aren't [insert muh heritage] anymore.
>>
>>2114665
And how is this relevant??
>>
>>2112007
>paying attention to semantics on a chinese chopstick debate forum
>>
>>2109066
It doesn't mesh well with their writing system. It's simpler to make a block for each page in chinese than to have thousands of block to cover evey character as opposed to roman script which has only 26 letters.
>>
>>2111507
>toss it for the more inefficient way
Le Chinese Invented Gunpowder for Firecrackers meme up in this shit.
>>
>>2111144
>eats raw meat
>calls chinks """"pigs"""
Kys
Thread posts: 193
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.