[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A question on Christianity that has bothered me for a long time:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: 200397018-001.jpg (51KB, 726x485px) Image search: [Google]
200397018-001.jpg
51KB, 726x485px
A question on Christianity that has bothered me for a long time:

So I was raised Catholic but I havent practiced in a while. But when I did I practiced in a way that may have not been correct. The way my parents taught me to pray (and this may apply to thousands of other Christian kids) is that when I pray I should basically wish for things from God. I should ask God for all of the things I desire in life.

What does the Bible have to say about this kind of thought? What should I be praying for when I pray to God? Is it ok to wish for things?

Ive thought about getting back into Christianity for a while and as soon as I began to pray I found myself wishing for things. Bad habits are hard to break. What do you guys think of this?

Also, Christianity thread.
>>
praying is a private thing, do it as you prefer but don´t be a pharisee who prays in the streets for everyone to see
>>
>>2106698
I remember there being a verse about that in Matthew
>>
>>2106699
yeah mateo 6:5
>>
>>2106676
I was raised (Protestant) to never pray for yourself, only others.
>>
>>2106676
Praying the Lord's Prayer is a good start. You can't go wrong with the Jesus Prayer either ("Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner"). Don't forget to pray for other people, rather that praying for things that you want, pray for other people to be put ahead of yourself.
>>
>>2106676
Yeah, I feel like praying for things you want God to give you (like "dear God, grant me an A on my homework") is how children pray, it's like an immature type of prayer. From what I understand it's meant to be more of a communion with God. Since you're familiar with catholic practice, look up Lectio Divina and try that. You just read a bible passage and try to meditate on it.
Another good way to try and break the habit would be to pray for the strength to achieve an outcome yourself rather than praying for God to just do it for you.
>>
You need to pray towards Medina, friend.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Prayer-Orthodox-Anthology/dp/0571191657

get this book

also read this

http://www.chastitysf.com/howtopray.htm
>>
File: eccehomo.png (1MB, 637x904px) Image search: [Google]
eccehomo.png
1MB, 637x904px
>>2106814
also go to confession so you can be in a state of grace and have more spiritual progress as you learn about prayer.
>>
>>2106676
i always was advised to pray for things like the strength to follow God in all things and to ask for wisdom.

not to ask for material wealth for instance.
>>
File: 1475229571554.jpg (8KB, 206x250px) Image search: [Google]
1475229571554.jpg
8KB, 206x250px
>>2106676
>Also, Christianity thread.

cringe thread incoming
>>
>>2106676
>And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
>Matthew 6:7-8

28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
>Matthew 6:28-34

You shouldn't pray like that. I am from a catholic country, and I too was taught to pray that way. But it is unchristian - it is contrary to the spirit of christianity to wish for material things or the fulfillment of your earthly desires. It is enough that you pray the Lord's prayer and reach a feeling of connection with God.
>>
>Also, Christianity thread

You mean /Autism General/
>>
>>2107406
I wonder who could be behind this post...
|
>
|
|
>>
Daily reminder Catholics aren't Christian
>>
File: image.jpg (119KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119KB, 500x500px
You Christians are welcome to discuss about what Your Lord Jesus said at my board (>>2103177).

What did Jesus said?

John 14:48 :
....My Father is greater than I

John 10:29:
My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all...

John 5:30
I can of mine own self do nothing....

Johh 5:30 clearly implies Jesus does not possess the quality of God. God can do everything.

Your Jesus said all of this, which contradict the Christians very belief. Is he lying? Or are you Christians lying?

Now tell me, who's your master? Jesus or Apostles?

Be a man and said it.
>>
>>2106676
a prayer should be more like afirmations, such as asking for strength such as saint francis's

" Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love;
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
It is in dying to self that we are born to eternal life
>>
>>2107400
Nice sources from the NT

>>2107533
Nice, I might look into the prayers the saints made, as well as prayers in the bible.
>>
>guys how do i telepathically ask my imaginary friend to give me things?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.