[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>'''''''''''''''''''American'''''''

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: American war of Independence.png (71KB, 1169x599px) Image search: [Google]
American war of Independence.png
71KB, 1169x599px
>'''''''''''''''''''American''''''''''''''''''''' war of independence
>>
>>2099227
>Britcucks could get peace with Spain and France if they just gave Gibraltar
>REEEE no
>Get BTFO by Spain and France.
It was a retarded move desu
>>
>>2099273
Gibraltar is vital to secure the Mediterranean, as was Malta and as was later the Suez Canal
>>
>>2099273
... Gonna be real with you senpai, I'm so patriotic I literally worship and pray to America. I think the constitution is a divinely inspired document. I really really like America is what I'm saying. That said?

>Give us back an impregnable fortress that controls access to possible THE MOST IMPORTANT BODY OF WATER (by surface area) IN THE WORLD
>No
>Proceeds to lose a few sparsely settled colonies
>Keeps the Greatest Fortress Ever Created even after losing the Empire.

I think the brits made the right call. Especially considering their naval focus.

... I wish the canucks had decided to join us though.
>>
>>2099273
Ever thought there might be some special reason behind keeping hold of Gibraltar? Ever wonder why Britain still clings on to little islands dotted around the world?

Any coastal territory held around the world is vital for keeping a strong naval presence. The term "blue water navy" refers to a country's navy which can project its power globally. With access to little islands and ports everywhere it allows you to restock, refuel and repair your ships without having to turn back.

Even China technically doesn't have a blue water navy since they don't have enough friendly naval ports around the world.

tl;dr little rocks like Gibraltar are vital for global power projection, especially during a time when navies were the key to achieving that
>>
>>2099376
>Gibraltar is vital to secure the Mediterranean
Gibraltar is not nearly as important as some people make it out.
>>2099397
>>Give us back an impregnable fortress that controls access to possible THE MOST IMPORTANT BODY OF WATER (by surface area) IN THE WORLD
America had a huge population compared to Gibraltar and was way more profitable than Gibraltar. On top of that the population bomb was about to happen/happening and America had tons of land for the excess in population of Britain and Europe which would have made Britain way more powerful than some basis in the mediterranean
>>2099398
Britain had Portuguese ports.Really Gibraltar wasn't need to project their navy into Malta.
>>
>>2099414
It's a strait where you can see the other side from land on a clear day.

The Suez Canal didn't exist yet.

You could LITERALLY bottle up the Ottomans, any Italian naval forces and anything France might have in the Med by parking ships there - and having an amazing fortress makes that much easier. It also facilitates attacking France, which the UK would have an insanely high interest in.

Also, it's nice to have a port you own in Iberia. Especially considering that Britain had been meddling actively on the peninsula for... what, 20 years at that point?
>>
>>2099432
>Ottomans, any Italian naval forces
This wasn't even an issue in 1714 let alone in 1775.
>The Suez Canal didn't exist yet.
So they were even fewer reasons to keep Gibraltar
>It also facilitates attacking France, which the UK would have an insanely high interest in.
The Brittish navy was always in the canal when there was a war against France as they feared an invasion.If anything Gibraltar was just sieged and of little use in wars.
>Especially considering that Britain had been meddling actively on the peninsula for... what, 20 years at that point?
Always supporting the same country.
The decission was dumb
>>
>>2099456
If suez isn't around yet doesn't that make controlling the straights more important, not less? Everyone needs to go past you to ship things to or out of the Mediterranean
>>
>>2099508
>If suez isn't around yet doesn't that make controlling the straights more important
Nope. As Suez was the only reason why the Mediterrean possesions of the empire were relevant
>Everyone needs to go past you to ship things to or out of the Mediterranean
Gibraltar is not even on the straight.It is close to it
>>
File: DylanCheckEm'.png (686KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
DylanCheckEm'.png
686KB, 750x750px
>>2099456
>>The Suez Canal didn't exist yet.
>So they were even fewer reasons to keep Gibraltar

Not them, how so?
>>
>>2099511
>>2099523
nvm
>>
>>2099376
Gibraltar wasn't as important before the Suez was constructed.
Yes, it was still pretty important.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.