[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did she actually have anything to do with Britain's success

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Queen_Victoria_by_Bassano.jpg (19KB, 245x346px) Image search: [Google]
Queen_Victoria_by_Bassano.jpg
19KB, 245x346px
Did she actually have anything to do with Britain's success during her reign?
>>
>>2078294
It's hard to say exactly how much unofficial power she wielded behind the scenes, but the monarch was *mostly* a figurehead by that point. That said, she enjoyed almost unprecedented sustained popularity over the course of her very long reign, and probably did a lot to bring (and keep) the country together in some VERY eventful times. It's not like she led Britain's armies or plotted out economic policy or anything, but that ain't nothing.
>>
She was better than her last 3 predecessors by a wide margin. Her Uncles had been profligates & voluptuaries and at least one was mentally unsound whereas she was a queen of such probity, grace & respectability that she was almost universally beloved. She knew not to be wasteful or a source of scandal, to trust the talented men who worked for her (England's political aristocracy at the time was second to noun, she enjoyed the services of a long succession of fabulously gifted prime ministers under her reign. Melbourne, Palmerston, Gladstone, Disreali, Salisbury), and to work tirelessly at the duties entrusted to her.

All in all she was a fantastic monarch who performed her somewhat limited role judiciously which helped facilitate the tremendous growth of English commerce & power during her reign.
>>
>>2078339
>>2078313
Why did England have such good female monarchs? The only male one of note I can think of is William the Conqueror himself. All the other guys were either incompetent loons or died before you could blink.
>>
>>2078696
William of Orange
>>
>>2078709
>William of Orange
Thought he was Dutch desu.
>>
>>2078696
George V was pretty good
>>
>>2078717
yeah, but one of the williams (can't remember which one) also ruled england and scotland
>>
>>2078717
Not like Victoria was British either. Her father's line, from whom she inherited the crown, descended from Hanover and her mother was a German as well.
>>
File: eddie.jpg (24KB, 236x317px) Image search: [Google]
eddie.jpg
24KB, 236x317px
>>2078696
>implying
>>
Her hubby was a crafty dude.

>During Peel's premiership, Albert's authority behind, or beside, the throne became more apparent. He had access to all the Queen's papers, was drafting her correspondence[54] and was present when she met her ministers, or even saw them alone in her absence.[55] The clerk of the Privy Council, Charles Greville, wrote of him: "He is King to all intents and purposes."[56]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert,_Prince_Consort#Consort_of_the_Queen
>>
>>2078294
seemed more like Albert was more into politics than Vicky

which is why no one liked him
>>
>>2078696
> William the Conqueror
> Good
The entire northern half of Britain disagrees.
>>
>>2079419
> No one liked Albert
Where do you get this shit?
>>
>>2078696
I dunno Henry VIII was pretty fun
>>
>>2078696
>not liking my boy longshanks
>not giving mad props to ol john for accidentally the whole manga carta
>>
>>2079519
>not giving mad props to ol john for accidentally the whole manga carta

yeah but at what cost?
England could be controlling France right now if he didn't screw it up
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.