[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /hist/s opinion on centrism? I personally agree with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: politics.jpg (20KB, 480x172px) Image search: [Google]
politics.jpg
20KB, 480x172px
What is /hist/s opinion on centrism? I personally agree with it very much and feel it is the best system a large society can obtain.
>>
>>2076855
This world is black and white, we have no room for grays like you.

In all seriousness people need to learn to compromise in order to function well in government, however on a personal level centrism is just someone who is afraid to say one way is right. As long as there are objective truths there will be a "best" way to do something. Being a centrist you are always wrong because you are generally riding the middle and will be relegated to the dust bin of history cuz eventually one side will win.

Hold firm in your stances but allow comprimises for the greater good is what I say.
>>
What's the middle of the road position on people demanding that the public school system teach creationism? What's the middle of the road position on whether or not AGW is real and how to deal with it? How do you handle business interests wanting to totally abandon the minimum wage while people who work low skill jobs want it increased?

Centrism is nice as a general idea but many of the issues that come to dominate politics are pretty either or.
>>
File: tumblr_oftnjtHY4V1txqagyo1_400.jpg (13KB, 384x395px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oftnjtHY4V1txqagyo1_400.jpg
13KB, 384x395px
>>2076855

In academia, political centrism is god tier, as you actively and dispassionately need to evaluate political matters without bias (Jordan Peterson comes to mind in his evaluations of Ideology).

However, centrism seems to spin its wheels in all other respects. even in the first point. If, in the course of one's studies, begins to move either left or right by means of objective evaluations and unbiased research, one should not force one's self to remain in the center, because that in it of itself is morally and intellectually dishonest and may reflect badly on later work.

In short:

Bad: 1.Right/Left in, Right/Left out.
2. Center in, Center out

Good: 1. Center in, Right/Left out.
2. Right/Left in, Center transformation, Right/Left out as a result of unbiased centrism and study. (much harder than #1, I speak from experience)
This principle applies to everything, including academia, politics, especially when studying politics, philosophy, and history. Do not force yourself to remain neutral, if you move in one direction or another, simply remain honest with yourself and others, and continue to pursue what you find through unbiased study to be the objective truth. It's hard, but telling the truth is rarely easy. whatever you become, know that there can be no compromise on basic moral principles.

Pic is Moi
>>
>>2076855
centrism is cowardice imo
>>
>>2076855
Centerism if for complete idiots. It's more demeaning and intellectually bankrupt than buying into the false Left-right dichotomy.

What is centre? Nothing but a measure of what your countries left and right are. They can, will and do move around on a whim and the centre shifts meaninglessly along with them. If a group wants something from a centreist then they all most in that direction and the centre is dragged along too.
You are the literal sheep being herded by bigger groups. At least be a loyal idealogue. At least your beliefs would have had some virtue by proxy.
>>
Compromises are essential in modern society, but in ideological level such thing speaks of personal uncertainty and somewhat of being weak.
>>
As always, not a single proper argument directly attacking centrist position, rather "lmao ur a pussy hahahah loool" childish quips.
It's funny same happens in regards to agnosticism from both sides.
It's also funny how most succesful societies were centrist in some way, balancing between individualism/liberalism and collectivism.
The more extreme stances most often either failed completely or created massive problems that followed the benefits and that were pushed under carpet until implosion happened.
>>
championing the status quo with no fixed principles is called being a coward and a brainlet.
>>
>>2078959
And why do you presume centrism is status quo?
If anything neoliberalism which is quite right is the ruling economic policy in West now and in social sense liberalism is running rampant too.
I'm a centrist and I'm opposed to both.
>>
>>2077295
i just believe in capitalism AND that the government shouldn't decide what's good for me. it's just natural, i can't control it. i'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal. i can't control what i like what i don't like
>>
>>2077403
>>2078781
>>2078791
>>2078959
>Here's a shitty ideology and here's different shitty ideology. Pick one
>Both ideologies have pros and cons, maybe we should try to find a middle ground where the pros of both shine through while-
>lol fucking non-commitment, you HAVE to choose between the two, there's no middle ground
>But why should I commit to an ideology I don't fully agree with? Isn't it more rational to pick and chose the the elements you like while rejecting all the-
>SHUT UP COWARD, THE WORLD IS BLACK AND WHITE, FIT INTO MY FALSE DICHOTOMY REEEEEEEEEEEEE
Extremists are laughable
>>
>>2079091
How would have a centrist handled 1950s era desegregation in the American south?

Genuinely curious.
>>
>>2076855
centrism of what?

in relation to what? in defense of what?
>>
>>2076855

Centrism isn't an ideology.
A centrist today and a centrist 100 years ago have nothing in common.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.