[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Isn't Socrates somewhat irrelevant compared to Plato

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

Isn't Socrates somewhat irrelevant compared to Plato and Aristotle?
>>
kinda
>>
>>2076260
>Isn't Plato somewhat irrelevant compared to Socrates and Aristotle?
>>
Sort of. He's the symbolic figurehead of western mythology, his trial and conviction is basically the creation myth of what would be the face of the western philosophical tradition.

Personally I agree with Nietzsche that he fucked everything up.
>>
>>2077576
of western philosophy, not mythology
>>
If you read behind the lines, Socrates is actually the father of Cynic Philosophy through Antisthenes, not Platonic/Aristotelian.

Plato was a student of Socrates, sure, but all of Plato's metaphysical conceits were most likely Plato's
>>
File: fedora.jpg (26KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
fedora.jpg
26KB, 600x750px
>>2077576
>I agree with Nietzsche
>>
>>2078225
Yeah, how silly of me, agreeing with one of the most influential philosophers of the last thousand years. I should find my wisdom solely in the Bible.
>>
>>2080524
Feeding the fedora troll. Why?

>>2076260
How could he be irrelevant when he was a teacher and inspiration for the other two you listed?
>feeding the philosphy troll why
>>
>>2076260
He was singlehandedly responsible for western philosophy transforming into an ethics-based discipline, instead of continuing down the road of natural science and metaphysics like his predecessors.
>>
>>2080589
>Feeding the fedora troll. Why?

To bump the thread.
>>
>>2080524
Nietzsche's philosophy pales in comparison with Kierkegaard. Your denial of God is not humorous.
>>
>>2081496
Christian existentialism is contradictory and stupid. If there is a God, there's no nihilism to overcome. If there is no God, you're just refusing to own up to your own freedom by subscribing to this fixed notion.
>>
Only because everything we know about him has been transmitted through Plato, Xenophon, or Aristotle.

Socrates was against writing, so he didn't write. As such, we know little about him comparative to Plato.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.