[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone know how minors work for a bachelors of arts degree?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: simpsons.gif (442KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
simpsons.gif
442KB, 480x360px
Does anyone know how minors work for a bachelors of arts degree? I am working towards my criminology b.a and am interested in taking a polisci minor as I have done a bunch of poli sci classes so far in my electives.

I was wondering if my electives from my major can apply to the minor and the major, and also there is a research methods requirement for the minor that I have already completed in my major, will I have to do the course twice (says pick either methods crim, poli, or soci, and I have done the crim research methods)

The website is retarded and not very clear, says that credits can only be used for more than one major or minor, but I am not sure if the two are combined or not)

sorry if this thread doesn't make any sense, or if this is the wrong board, you guys seem like the only board who would know about uni stuff.
>>
>>2075737
In Canada btw
>>
Aren't minors usually only 9 - 12 credits (3 or 4 classes)?

I mean yeah get one that you're interested in yes but it's hardly worth mentioning as a qualification isn't it?
>>
>>2075895
the minor I want is 32 credits. I think it varies between schools. 15 credits 1st and 2nd year, 18 credits 3rd and 4th year.
>>
>>2075737

In response to the OP, I will make the completely reasonable assumption that the Canadian university system behaves so much like the American university system that I can take my experience with the latter in order to advise OP about the former.

The important thing in your tertiary education is your major.You should try to make sure that you 1) don't hate it, and 2) actually have some skill and competence with it, whatever it is. It really really helps if 3) you actually like it.

If it's money or a job you're after, employers care about three things: your work experience (what you've done, prove to me that you've done something before), your skill set (stuff you know how to do), and yes, your education in a general way. Major and sometimes GPA being most important.

Employers really don't give a shit about your minor. You should instead frame whatever useful things you learned/did in your minor as being part of one of the two above categories, and not just "I minored in this at college bla de bla". If the employee minored in something pertinent/marginally useful to the business, then "it's a nice bonus".

This guy >>2075895 is correct in assuming that college/uni minors are typically 3-6 classes, or the equivalent thereof. Your mileage may vary. Assuming your 32 credits >>2076009 equates to /eight classes/, then this is a bit excessive and atypical of the qualifications for a minor in college - but not /totally/ unreasonable or anything. It's just that, like I said, minors aren't so terribly important and so since a dean/class scheduler/department head really ought to know that, in this situation they really should drop a class or two from the requirement, since it's hogging the student's time around this point.

So then where does the "minor" fit in all this? The minor is for /you/. Again, if a) you know that you like your major and are happy with it, and b) you have some other subject that also satisfies 1-3), then you should feel free to minor in it.
>>
>>2076165
It's actually 11 classes plus a research methods class, 3 credits per class. so actually 33 credits, 36 with the research methods class included. These classes are supposed to be spread throughout 4 years.

I am interested in my major + work in the field already, and want to add the minor because it would benefit for the career path I am hoping to go down after graduation.

I am also interested in the minor too, many of my electives have been in that field already, so I figure I might as well get a minor out of it. My major has 40 elective credits out of the 120 needed anyways.

My main question was whether or not I can use these elective credits towards my minor, of if I have to take them all separate. I am talking to one of my prof's about it tomorrow though.
>>
>>2075854
What University?
>>
>>2075737
Why don't you ask a study coordinator, genius? How the hell should we know your universities regulations?
>>
>>2078228
I scheduled a meeting, I just figured that maybe it was a general rule that applies, seeing as the province grants the authority to give degrees
>>
>>2077551

I don't know about the latter question and so I won'd speak to it.

Eleven classes is entirely too many to require for a /minor/, though, even if each item is "three credits", whatever exactly that equates to in time spent. If you're going to spend that much time in a subject then you might as well spend just a little bit more time in it/you ought to be able to claim it as a major/concentration, maybe with another class or two added on. but to restrict successful completion of /like 11-12 different classes to the distinction of a /minor/ is ridiculous.
>>
>>2081171
https://socialsciences.viu.ca/political-studies/political-studies-ba-program

This is a link to the program, the minor requirements are at the bottom section of the page, what really confuses me is where it says
"Note: These credits may not be used for more than one Major or Minor. "

I agree, it does seem ridiculous to have to do this many courses for a minor, especially if I have to take them outside of my major's electives.
>>
>>2081675

Yes, your last clause is the most important one, because it goes to something I mentioned in the above post. It's hogging your time when you have other electives to take care of and an overall education to complete. You're not asking to do a major (the important part), you're asking to do a minor (gain a litle bit of detailed knowledge in an area, due to personal interest). As I said before, deans and department chairs need to be cognizant of the fact that there are other departments, and that people who minor in something are doing just that-taking a certain interest, but a lesser interest, in their subject.
>>
>>2081728
Is my inference correct though? Will I have to take 11 additional courses on top of the 40 required for my major? or am I just an idiot, and these 11 courses can be from my electives.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.