[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does every century have one great man that shapes that century

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: napoleon-1er.jpg (160KB, 625x952px) Image search: [Google]
napoleon-1er.jpg
160KB, 625x952px
Does every century have one great man that shapes that century and beyond? The ones I can think off the top of my head are Napoleon in the 19th century and Hitler in the 20th.
>>
>>2072847
No, the Great Man view lf historiography is thoroughly ludicrous and has been debunked with many good counterpoints.

I believe that the general gist of it all can be found on wikipedia under Great Men Theory if you want to look in further.
>>
>>2072860
>>2072860

Can we debunk it again? I've read the wikipedia page for it and I remain unconvinced.

Let's take Genghis Khan. On one side of the argument we have the Great Man understanding of history, in which Genghis, the exceptional figure and highest specimen of man, takes the reins of history and ushers in a new era. In the arguments opposing this view we simply point to a myriad of different factors of Mongolian culture, geographical location, social factors, etc. and say that Genghis Khan is simply the product of his environment. But this seems to imply that if Genghis Khan had never been born, the environment would remain essentially the same (as it had for centuries before that) and it also implies that a Genghis Khan figure was inevitable. And that to me seems thoroughly ludicrous.
>>
>>2072916

And what about Mohammed? What about his founding a new, extraordinarily influential faith can be explained by the environment he was raised in? Surely others raised in that same environment were not bound to become the prophet of Islam.
>>
>>2072847
Marx for sure.
>>
File: laughing-royality.jpg (60KB, 550x386px) Image search: [Google]
laughing-royality.jpg
60KB, 550x386px
>Both lost

>>2073731
Its nice to tell yourself that at least
>>
>>2072847
>Does every century have one great man that shapes that century and beyond?
no, just the important ones
>>2073762
jesus also lost as did caesar but they won eventually
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.