[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>medieval people were so stupid they didn't understand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

>medieval people were so stupid they didn't understand the passage of time and would get totally lost if they the general area of their village
>peasants just went around naked all the time in summer because medieval people had no sense of ego
>nobody used non-roman roads until the 18th century, same with harbors
>nobody in Europe built brick/stone buildings for ten centuries
>claims Copernicus was killed by the inquisition (he died in bed after having a stroke)
>>
>>2067214
This offends me greatly
>>
>>2067214
are you memeing or is this book that bad? Because that's not just bad, that's like "literally making bullshit up as you go and never having read literally anything ever" bad.
>>
>>2068370
Yeah it is that bad. Apparently he just sat around making up shit. According to a Amazon review:
>As his "Author's Note" reveals, at the age of 70 during a convalesence, he decided to write a "portrait" of the 16th Century as a backdrop to a study of Magellan. In roughly two years he churned out "AWLOBF," notwithstanding the fact that his background in the 16th Century was no more than "the general familiarity of an educated man." As a result, his efforts to deposit ink on paper yielded a work that has an uncanny resemblance to recently used toilet paper.

Wikipedia:
>Professional historians, however, have dismissed or ignored the book because of its numerous factual errors and its dependence on interpretations that have not been accepted by experts since the 1930s at the latest. In a review for Speculum, the journal of the Medieval Academy of America, Jeremy duQuesnay Adams remarked that Manchester’s work contained "some of the most gratuitous errors of fact and eccentricities of judgment this reviewer has read (or heard) in quite some time."[3] In particular, Adams pointed out that Manchester's claims about diet, clothing, and medieval people's views of time and their sense of self all ran counter to the conclusions of 20th-century historians of the Middle Ages. Manchester’s views on the transition from medieval to modern civilization, though they were popular in the 19th and early 20th century (and still are current in some segments of contemporary culture), have long been rejected by professional scholars in the relevant fields. Despite this, the book is often taught at the beginning of College Board's AP European History class.

>Despite this, the book is often taught at the beginning of College Board's AP European History class.
>>
File: vampire2.png (275KB, 402x253px) Image search: [Google]
vampire2.png
275KB, 402x253px
>>2068689
>>Despite this, the book is often taught at the beginning of College Board's AP European History class.

Jesus.
>>
>>2067214
Marxist bullshit
>>
>>2068699
>In 2001, President George W. Bush presented Manchester with the National Humanities Medal. Manchester was also the recipient of the Abraham Lincoln Literary Award, among other awards.
>>
>>2068699

Can confirm, I had to read this between my freshman and sophomore years.

All the bullshit made it a pretty entertaining read for a school assignment.
>>
>>2068701

>Marxist

How so?
>>
File: 1480616585951.png (1MB, 1920x3025px) Image search: [Google]
1480616585951.png
1MB, 1920x3025px
>medieval fuckers couldn't read
>>
>>2069102

kek
>>
>>2069102

Almost as good as the Black Death thread where the entire population of Europe should apparently have simultaneously closed all the borders and upped sticks and fled to Poland.

I bet it was the same OP too.
>>
>>2068689
>>2068699
wtf is wrong with the United States? Why do you guys like to teach counterfactual, romanticized, dramatized history so much? It's not even about propaganda anymore, is it, but simple intellectual negligence, right?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.