[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the US an inverted totalitarian state? From wiki: In Days

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: IMG-20161207-WA0034.jpg (73KB, 1600x842px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161207-WA0034.jpg
73KB, 1600x842px
Is the US an inverted totalitarian state?

From wiki:
In Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt by Chris Hedges and Joe Sacco, inverted totalitarianism is described as a system where corporations have corrupted and subverted democracy and where economics trumps politics.

This is in contrast with a true totalitarian state like nazi Germany or the USSR, where the state has coopted the various industries and the economy of the state exists to serve state policies.
>>
>>2063729

Totalitarian is a meme anyway as all states are total save when their power is checked by another state. The US just happens to be ruled by a less centralized bureaucracy than other nations like the USSR. The only possible check on a total bureaucracy is democratic mechanisms, which the US obviously doesn't have much of.
>>
So would you say there is no difference in state power over the industries between, say, nazi Germany and modern new Zealand? I fail to see how "totalitarian" is a meme label
>>
>>2063779

The label totalitarian typically refers to state power generally, no idea what the reasoning behind the emphasis on economic regulation is.

Still a meme though as there's also a lot inbetween Nazi Germany and New Zealand and there's no definite point between them where an economy can be objectively labeled totalitarian. The term can only serve to mean "anything I don't like."
>>
Brah, the word you're looking for is oligarchy.
>>
>>2063729
just dont go there op
unless you want to get v&
>>
>>2063729
That would imply that there is some sort of totalitarian aspect of the rule of the US gov, which there isnt really.
When corporations have corrupted or subverted democracy that is called corruption.
Maybe I am being last century but economics will always trump politics.
Inverted totalitarianism would be if the corporations forced a totalitarian regime in their favor via the corruption. But that is not blatantly happening.
>>
File: revolving door.jpg (2MB, 1500x7875px) Image search: [Google]
revolving door.jpg
2MB, 1500x7875px
>>2064617
> if the corporations forced a totalitarian regime in their favor via the corruption

>what is bear stearns
>what is fannie mae and freddie mac
>what is TARP
>what is monsanto
>what is high fructose corn syrup and corn subsidies
>what are nonexistent/lenient prison sentences for government affiliates
>what is boeing/lockheed/GE
>what is MSM spin
>what is Trump's cabinet
I can literally go on for days

A totalitarian regime, in my opinion, is not only the one where you can feel the boot on your neck. A farmer doesnt overwork his cattle because they're going to die and stop producing, a very simplistic analogy but it gets the point across
>>
>>2064958
Favoritism is just one aspect of corruption though. BP and Royal Dutch Shell for example carry a heavy say in British politics like so, but they've not gotten to the point of enforcing their will via the government. It's a very nuanced thing
>>
File: 1449696424961.gif (3MB, 186x186px) Image search: [Google]
1449696424961.gif
3MB, 186x186px
>>2063729
>Is the US an inverted totalitarian state?
>In Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt by Chris Hedges and Joe Sacco

>did these authors make up a word to describe a situation, then apply it to that situation

"Yes"
>>
>>2063729
No, it's an oligarchy. Corporations are not monsters; it's congressmen who are currently corrupt, not the system. That may yet change. Even Trump is talking about term limits, which is something. Believe it or not, money isn't more powerful than, well, power. Citizens United could be overturned at some point in the future.

Don't sell totalitarianism short. We've a long way to go before hitting that.
>>
File: 21317_600.jpg (177KB, 600x774px) Image search: [Google]
21317_600.jpg
177KB, 600x774px
>>2063729

Most people living in this kind of totalitarian society don't realize it, or do not want to realize it. That's why "no" is and will be most of this thread answers.
>>
>>2063729
I don't understand the pic
>>
>>2065700
"Soft" totalitarianism is a fairly common aspect of many states though. The US isn't really unique in that regard.

The people who actually lived in "hard" totalitarian countries can attest to that
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.