[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the last historical book you read, /his/? Pic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: 51nSw-g-28L.jpg (46KB, 318x500px) Image search: [Google]
51nSw-g-28L.jpg
46KB, 318x500px
What was the last historical book you read, /his/?

Pic related for me.
>>
>>2056663
I love that series. I read that one and the on on the french revolution. I think they give a very nice and detailed overview of what happened. For a good study you should obviously look at some primary and maybe more detailed sources. But I love them.

Idk if Thomas Paine's Common Sense counts, but that was the last historical book (pamphlet) I read.
>>
>>2056663
Same, along with Henry Heller's book on the French Revolution.
>>
Currently reading this.

Even if it is abridged, I didn't expect it to be a tough read. So far, I've learned:

>Rome was a republic after ousting its last king
>one day the nobles and statesmen became too powerful, crisis inbound
>Julius Caesar stepped in to be dictator of the Republic, was assassinated
>his adopted son Augustus reigns
>most of the Emperors in the Julio-Claudian dynasty were pretty bad dudes
>Hadrian builds a wall in Britain, makes Rome great again
>the last few emperors right before Commodus came in to play were great
>after Commodus was assassinated, the Roman Empire began to truly decline

Its a long read, as I'm reading several other books at the same time, but its rewarding and informative.
>>
>>2056663
For uni: A People's History of the Vietnam War
For self-indulgence: Hew Strachan's The First World War in Africa
Currently reading: War and National Reinvention: Japan in the Great War, 1914-1919
>>
"London for Immigrant suckers"
I'm doing my MA on the subject of Yugoslavia and this book, although not an academic, it gives the best insight of the Yugoslav demise
>>
>>2056663
What the main reasons of Russian revolution?
>>
File: inheritanceofrome.jpg (46KB, 400x430px) Image search: [Google]
inheritanceofrome.jpg
46KB, 400x430px
Finished reading this. It was a nice read, even though it was fairly introductive.
>>
>>2058689
Gibbon might be a good read and a neat example of the beginning of modern historiography, but I wouldn't necessarily take everything the book says at face value. The modern consensus on the Roman empire is pretty different from Gibbon's ideas
>>
>>2060200

Jews and slave morality
>>
File: Christianity.jpg (399KB, 1040x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Christianity.jpg
399KB, 1040x1600px
>>2056663
highly recommended

i got stuck when classes started but i will finish it eventually
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.