[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What major/minor did you get undergrad, or what are you working

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: IMG-20161203-WA0020.jpg (118KB, 924x732px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161203-WA0020.jpg
118KB, 924x732px
What major/minor did you get undergrad, or what are you working on/plan to get?

History major with a minor in Classics and Latin American studies here
>>
File: Buddha Head.jpg (49KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Buddha Head.jpg
49KB, 720x960px
>>2041549
>major/minor did you get undergrad
Archaeology minor in ling and neuro.

>what are you working on/plan to get
MPA, museum admin specialty. Almost done.
>>
>>2041549
Archaeology/medieval studies double major

Next is hopefully MBA in medieval archaeology
>>
>>2041549
Chemical Engineering
>>
Gonna graduate in 12 days, History Bachelors with a minor in Anthropology and Certificate in Native American studies. Then I'm off to do a history masters!
>>
Graduated with Accounting
>>
major: history
minor: politics
>>
Law with fiscal law as a minor. Civil law as master.
>>
Major: Anthropology
Minor: Religious studies

Currently working on MA in anthropology with focus in archaeology.
>>
>>2042787
Dog bless
>>
>>2042800
>>2042408
May I ask what's motivating you guys to double down for a masters in the same discipline as you did undergrad in? You guys specifically looking towards being a professor? Personally, I couldn't think of any decent reason to keep at anth through masters level given it's the PhD that lets me get a tenure track professorship, though having this museum program is fairly auspicious. I just wanna be able to use my masters as more than a stepping stone to an in-discipline PhD.
>>
>>2042827
Personally, I wanted to get into archaeology, and while you can work as an archaeologist with a bachelors, the work is all entry level stuff with no job security. I went into a masters program because it would mean that I'd be able to find better work in professional archaeology, and it could serve as a stepping stone for a PhD program if I wanted it to. Currently, my plan is to enter to job market and possibly get a PhD in the future; being a professor is something I think I'd like to do, but I'm kind of sick of school right now, and having real-world experience before going for a doctorate is preferable.

Outside of archaeology, applied anthropology work (through NGOs and stuff like that), mostly require a masters. Similarly, work in museums can usually be done with a masters. In general, most jobs related to anthropology that aren't teaching at a university can be (and usually are) done with a masters.
>>
>>2042861
No I mean I dig it I just feel like I'm going to come out of my master's program with a slight marketability edge on you lib-art masters folks (MPA's just an MBA minus learning to turn a profit) at the expense of in-field specialization. I mean, I'm already working with a dozen more cultures than I would be if I'd have taken the traditional anth/master route.

I'm not shitting you folks, at all, I'm just curious about motivations here.
>>
>>2042881
Well, there are plenty of different ways to end up doing things within the field. Going with an MA is the traditional choice, and it's still what you see most employers asking for. It's also a way that you can get training in specifically what you want to do. For example, learning archaeology is something that only happens in MA programs. If I would have chosen something else, I would have been undergoing training that is essentially useless for what I want to do. People in my program that are planning on going into applied have set up internships and research projects with all kinds of organizations that are giving them direct experience that another program of study probably wouldn't give them.

Basically, if you want to learn how to actually do anthropology and design research, and MA program is the way to go. I'm sure an MPA is going to give you an edge on some skills, but you're learning different things. In a museum context, that's probably a better way to go, since I'm sure more administrative jobs open up than research or curation.
>>
>>2042920
>learning archaeology is something that only happens in MA programs
I sorta disagree, I was publishing physical research as an undergrad, but my department is (was) high ranking.

>more administrative jobs open up than research or curation.
My deal's curation, actually. Hence all the cultural research.

Part of why I'm doing this is something of the inverse, actually, I wouldn't be able to get this sort of broad base/bird's eye view of object caretaking in public and private institutions by focusing research in a single aspect of a single culture in any nearby MA program.

I'd get stellar field and methods, but that's sorta where it'd end. Here I get a tiny touch of continued field experience (insomuch as like working with lithic and ceramic preservation) and maybe half the methods (I'm not over in the SEM/TEM lab anymore but I'm certainly processing requests in and out, and interpreting), on top of administrative, on top of curatorial experience, on top of background. It just seems like I'll be coming away with a (small) handful more options, but on the flip side you cats *already* have a had sense of what you wanna specialize in and if I went for a PhD it'd probably be outside of archaeo or anth at this point, UNLESS I can slide into the correct museum collections (I really wanna extrapolate some traditional witchcraft studies out of our witch bottle collections because amateurs in the occult publishing realm are picking up the slack and it's not up to snuff).
>>
>>2042951
>I sorta disagree, I was publishing physical research as an undergrad, but my department is (was) high ranking.
Yeah, I'll admit I put that badly. Since we were talking about different kinds of masters programs, I was only talking about within options within that spectrum. Of course you can learn stuff about archaeology in undergrad, but something like an MPA won't teach you field methods, or stuff about CRM laws. That's what I was getting at.

Your option sounds good for what you want to do, though. There's a definitely a give and take when it comes to the strength of various options for postgrad stuff.
>>
>>2043001
>won't teach you field methods, or stuff about CRM laws. That's what I was getting at.
I feel lucky our department was rock solid. Did archaeometry. Bioanth methods. GPR theory and practice. Sampling. Etc.

And your guy's track seems nice and solid as well; it's just that there are more things about the field that I hate than love, and I'm a waffling shit who can't figure out what to "DEVOTE THEIR CAREER TO" yet because of polymathic tendencies. I ALMOST got my grad in neurosci but the labs that were viable for me to get to didn't do what I was interested in specializing in.
>>
>>2041549
General Law degree, conjoint with a Computer Science major in my other degree
>>
>>2041549
Chemical and Biochemical Engineering

Currently in graduate studies for Bioengineering
>>
File: 1466872233168.jpg (133KB, 482x482px) Image search: [Google]
1466872233168.jpg
133KB, 482x482px
>>2041549
Major: Honours Specialization in History
Getting my MLIS degree to become either an Archivist or an Academic Librarian.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.