[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I wanted to learn about gnosticism, what books would be the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: gnosis-02.jpg (692KB, 1690x2720px) Image search: [Google]
gnosis-02.jpg
692KB, 1690x2720px
If I wanted to learn about gnosticism, what books would be the best place to start?
>>
>>2041267
My library.

https://mega.nz/#F!xYpWSZIA!AIJmBr-RrBJeUdGwjt1b3A

I cannot pimp Kurt Rudolph's "Gnosis: the Nature and History of Gnosticism" enough.
>>
>>2041273
Thanks!
>>
>>2041273
Hey Ape, I have a silly question for you. Is there something like "Christian esoterism"? Besides gnosticism
>>
>>2041310
Yeah but the lines constantly blur between "Gnostic" and notGnostic, because "Gnostic" is a massively inadequate blanket term we apply to a number of groups and sects often with WILDLY divergent doctrines.

Anyway, you've got Molinos' Spiritual Guide (he was excommunicated by the RCC). There's Marguerite Porete's Mirror of Simple Souls that advocates an antinomian moral philosophy. It was from a sect largely viewed as heretical called the Beguines, BUT back in the 50's the RCC published it with Imprimatur and Nihil Obstat, so I guess it's now acceptable mainstream theology.

Also there's St. John of the Cross and St. Teresa de Avila's material, they're Mother Church-approved so all good on the heresy front (though their material is basically the same as stuff people like Marguerite Poerete were burned for. Kind of just depended on the times you lived in, it seems).
>>
>>2041322
Is there an actual church that accepts and practices Christian esotericism? Catholicim has condemned practically all forms of mysticism safe for a few very mild and watered-down versions.
>>
>>2041273

Outside of the one you mentioned, which other books would you recommend starting off with?
>>
>>2041357
What are you interested in?

>>2041348
Depends on the flavor of mysticism and where you are. Generally, no. There are a number of Gnostic Catholic outfits that range between off topic and weak.
>>
>>2041393
What a shame. There's such a wealth of Christian mystic literature and close to zero practitioners.
>>
>>2041393
>What are you interested in
All of it
>>
>>2041405
Gnostic Religion in Antiquity.
The Gnostics: Myth Ritual and Diversity.
Spiritual Taxonomies.
Mystery of the Five Seals.

Also gnosis.org, sacred-texts, among others, for source materials.
>>
DEAR Gnostics --

step 1: check into a hospital
step 2: tell them you think you may have schizophrenia
>>
>>2041468
There's more to Gnosticism than demiurge shitposting on /fringe/.
>>
File: Chesterton_-_Orthodoxy_1909.jpg (22KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
Chesterton_-_Orthodoxy_1909.jpg
22KB, 400x600px
>>2041267
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.