[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think that using fiction in the classroom is acceptable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 91+luYmacQL.jpg (920KB, 1747x2560px) Image search: [Google]
91+luYmacQL.jpg
920KB, 1747x2560px
Do you think that using fiction in the classroom is acceptable when teaching children about history? Are there any times when using fiction is an acceptable tool for teaching children history?

I'm curious to see what a broader range of people think because it's a debate that's come up in recent curriculum workshops for middle school students.
>>
luckily the bible is fact
>>
>>2030093
>middle school students

Children at that level are still learning how to comprehend and analyze information, basically still learning how to be students. The point isn't about them actually learning the history, but providing a foundation and hopefully piquing their interest.
>>
>>2030848
This. It depends on how old the students are. Fiction is much easier for younger students to engage in because it is written with readers of that age group in mind--it's more entertaining, it has structure, it hits certain historical notes. There aren't always effective primary sources that are accessible for younger readers. Of course, you should supplement the fiction with primary sources whenever you can. I've found that non-text primary sources (images--of clothing, paintings, the event itself, are, which are so much easier to find now than when I was a kid) are great for younger kids.

High school is where I would start requiring mostly primary sources for learning about history. Fiction can still be used, either as a starting point or supplement, but once they're about 15-16 it's easier for them to grasp the real deal.
>>
>>2030093
No, autism in kids is on the rise and they will not be able to understand metaphors or draw parallels to history from fictional works.
>>
>>2030848
> I hope the comprehend and analyze info better than me :^(
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.