[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As a whole how interconnected were villages and towns in ye olden

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

As a whole how interconnected were villages and towns in ye olden days? Is it wrong to assume every village had some kind of a rudimentary road running to and from it or at least a river?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm having trouble imagining what it all looked like prior to the invention of the car and mass transit.
>>
>>2018858
Looking at the map I would asume you are talking about north america prior to the foundation of the usa. for the east costcolonies you can asume that for sure. Everything that is ruled by someone has to be reachable (think about taxation etc.). For the Frontier I don't know, but I would say that most New settlements wanted some connection to civilization. Also the Fort needed connections for reinforcement issues.
>>
>>2019390
0k Im dump the map shows only Canada but there it'll be more or less the same
>>
>>2019408
Look closer. It's a map of Europe, Asia, and North Africa; just with South on top.
>>
>>2020639
Thanks sudoko incomming!
I should stop browsing /his/ on my phone where I can't see shit.

But in the old World more or less everything was some what connected if you weren't living in some small farm in the mountains but even there you would be atleast connected to your next neighbours in the next valley
>>
>>2018858
I remember reading an account of the Inquisition in southern France where peasants from one village could recognize a different accent from a village that was 12 miles away. So in basically not at all.
>>
>>2021225
Is they could recognize it doesn't it imply they've interacted with it before and are therefore interconnected?
>>
>>2018858
Maybe not roads, but people knew where the next village was.
That's how diseases could spread across the americas after european contact even though the yuropians didn't visit every village.
>>
>>2018858

In Britain, you will find roughly one village every mile, and a market town every ten miles. Countries with worse land will have fewer villages, but every village will have multiple "roads" leading to other villages and to towns.
>>
>>2018858
towns and small villages where interlinked by primitive roads, bigger towns like in the HRE where close to rivers and/or old roman roads. Canals where also a thing.
>>
Sooooo how did all those bumfuck villages in the Alps work? They were established and primitive roads came shortly thereafter? Or what?
>>
>>2023938

The Alps have been continuously inhabited for thousands of years, it's safe to say there was a network of trails before the current farms existed.
>>
>>2024008
Yes but at some point in somewhere along the line those trails had to be made.

I wonder how that worked.
>>
>>2023938
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridle_path
>>2024008
They higher regions of the Alps only have been settled from the 10th century onward by the Walser people
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walser
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.